Scamp 5er to Gooseneck Adapter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Scamp 5er to Gooseneck Adapter

I've had my Scamp 5er for a little over a year now, and I've had it on my list to build a Scamp-to-Gooseneck adapter so I'll be able to use the same hitch that I do with several other trailers that I own.

I do think that a Gooseneck hitch has several advantages over the Scamp hitch (and one disadvantage). Here are some advantages:
  1. Convenience: If you have other trailers, as I do, the Scamp hitch is yet another hitch that you have to buy, install, and keep up with,
  2. Space: although its not as heavy as a real 5th wheel hitch, the Scamp hitch takes up as much room in the bed of the truck. The hideaway gooseneck hitches have zero footprint when you're not using them,
  3. Weight: my Scamp hitch is homemade and it's heavy to lift into the bed of the truck. The Gooseneck hitch is mounted underneath the bed floor and stays in the truck.
  4. Cost: The Scamp hitch can only be bought from Scamp and it's $600. Gooseneck hitches can be bought on ebay for $150-$300 depending on which one you choose.
  5. Logistics: It adds a level of complexity when you get ready to sell, you have to coordinate the installation of the custom hitch with the buyer versus just saying "come get it".
A Gooseneck does have one disadvantage from the Scamp hitch in that it's not as easy to line-up the Gooseneck hitch. I use the trailer line-up markers, you could also install a convex mirror to help in lining it up.

Now, back to the adapter.

Here is a list of materials and costs:
  1. Gooseneck coupler ($100, ebay),
  2. two feet of 3" square tubing ($17, local steel supply),
  3. four feet of angle steel ($10, local steel supply),
  4. 2" ball ($11, ebay),
  5. Three Grade 8 bolts ($6, Tractor Supply).
I've got a guy that works for me around here that did most of the fabrication; I probably paid him $100 for his labor. All in all, I've probably got about $350 in it. If you have the equipment and the skills to do it yourself you could have saved the $100 labor. Also, if you didn't need the hitch to be adjustable, you could just buy the gooseneck coupler/latch and fabricate the rest (and probably save half of the $100 I paid for the whole coupler assembly).
I chose to remove the coupler latch pin that came with the coupler because it used up about 6" of the possible height adjustment. I replaced it with a simple pin and key from Tractor Supply.
Doraville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
When I was shopping around three years ago, being a compete newbie, I struggled to understand all those different kinds of hitches. So, I find this to be a very interesting project. It looks to me that you preserved the Scamp coupler and the gooseneck adapter can be removed (just for the case you might be selling it). Am I right?
This modification does have some effect on the structural loads on the Scamp steel frame, but my rough guess is that its design margin is quite high, hence this is perfectly safe.
Some people here seem to think that Scamp is too slow in making improvements. Maybe Scamp should take a look at this.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
What is the difference between gooseneck ball and scamp hitch? I was always wondering...
Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
What is the difference between gooseneck ball and scamp hitch? I was always wondering...
The Scamp hitch is rather a hybrid between a fifth wheel and a goose neck. The ball use for a Scamp mounts on a framework as does a fifth wheel plate, a true gooseneck has the hitch mounted below the pickup box, with only a ball mounted above the floor.

By the way, a nice bit of design and fabrication.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
It looks to me that you preserved the Scamp coupler and the gooseneck adapter can be removed (just for the case you might be selling it). Am I right?
Yes, just two bolts holds it in. I don't plan to ever remove it, but when (if) I ever sell it the buyer will have the option of the Gooseneck or the original Scamp coupler.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You certanily did a most magnificent job of engineering.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Name: Larry and Pat
Wisconsin
Registry
Hitch Modification

Nice Job!
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Another new issue to consider why a gooseneck ball is a better hitch than a 5th wheel hitch is now coming from the OEM's.

The new Nissan Titan diesel trucks come with a factory installed gooseneck ball hitch option. This gooseneck ball hitch "may" also be available on their new gas powered Titans as well. I don't know and did not ask.

Expect other OEM'S to follow in the near future offering a gooseneck ball hitch option on their "Heavy" half ton trucks as well.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The new Nissan Titan diesel trucks come with a factory installed gooseneck ball hitch option.
That is very interesting. Whether or not it is available as a factory option, I think it is common practice for dealers to offer hideaway Gooseneck hitches as a dealer installed option.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraville View Post
That is very interesting. Whether or not it is available as a factory option, I think it is common practice for dealers to offer hideaway Gooseneck hitches as a dealer installed option.

The gooseneck hitche balls on the new Titan are OEM factory installed on the Nissan assembly line.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The gooseneck hitche balls on the new Titan are OEM factory installed on the Nissan assembly line.
That's great. I hope the other pickup manufacturers follow suit, in offering diesels in half-ton pickups, and in offering factory installed Gooseneck hitches!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #12

Georgia
For those who may not be familiar with hideaway gooseneck hitches,this is what it looks like. When you're not using it the ball flips upside down and becomes level with the floor of the bed.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #13

Name: Pete
Trailer: Trading up
Virginia
Fantastic job on that adapter. My wife and I want to move up to a Scamp 5th wheeler. We have a gooseneck hitch in our truck and don't really want to have to buy and install another hitch. Do you have some more pictures and measurements for the hitch you built? The scamp we're looking at is a good distance from us and I'd have to build the hitch before leaving.

Please reply to Karisuesman@Yahoo.com

Thanks so much.
Karisuesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #14

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisuesman View Post
Fantastic job on that adapter. My wife and I want to move up to a Scamp 5th wheeler. We have a gooseneck hitch in our truck and don't really want to have to buy and install another hitch. Do you have some more pictures and measurements for the hitch you built? The scamp we're looking at is a good distance from us and I'd have to build the hitch before leaving.

Please reply to Karisuesman@Yahoo.com

Thanks so much.
Unfortunately I don't have any measurements and I have since sold the Scamp with the adapter attached. We had the benefit of having the Scamp in front of us as the adapter was being fabricated.

If you'll make a post here or over on the Scamp 5er Facebook group I'm sure someone can give you the measurements of what's on the Scamp. With that and my photos you could then fabricate the adapter. The holes would need to be drilled with the adapter installed on the Scamp.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help. Good Luck!

Tags
scamp