2" receiver on Escape 17B rear bumper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 17B
Nevada
2" receiver on Escape 17B rear bumper

I just finished installing a 2" receiver on my 17B.

Took 2 12"x12"x.125" steel plates from an old project, and glued them together with PL Premium.

Drilled a few holes, bolted on a step bumper receiver hitch, and attached the whole shebang with u-bolts to the bumper.

seems burly enough for a couple of bikes or a bin full of stinky slinkies.

Will take it for a test drive with bikes attached and wife following to see how much movement goes on when cruising down the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
image000000.jpg   image000001.jpg  

Jim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:50 AM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Jim:

I don't know how many bikes you are putting back there, but it is wise to check your weight distribution before any lengthy trip. You should have 10 to 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue for safe towing.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:51 AM   #3

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
what grade bolts did you use?
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #4

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
what grade bolts did you use?
grade 8.8
Old 11-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape
Montana
Registry
nicely done

That's a nice solution. I have been toying with an alternate approach, and don't have it finished quite yet - a Curt bumper hitch mount designed for a 2"x4" bumper, than fill in the difference from the 1.5"x3" bumper on the Escape with a couple of hardwood shims.
philostechedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by philostechedon View Post
That's a nice solution. I have been toying with an alternate approach, and don't have it finished quite yet - a Curt bumper hitch mount designed for a 2"x4" bumper, than fill in the difference from the 1.5"x3" bumper on the Escape with a couple of hardwood shims.

I also looked at the 'rv bumper' receivers... I wanted to stay away from twisting forces on the bumper tubing as much as possible.

I am thinking of 'upgrading' my receiver setup to have a thicker steel plate; with two light-ish bikes (about 55lbs combined) and 15lb bike rack there's really too much flex (meaning I notice it with my eyes).

Also, the harbor freight receiver is pretty big, so anything I put in the receiver wiggles around a lot.

Both of these cause more movement than I'd like, and I think I can solve all the problems for $50 or so. Most of the money used for a nice drill bit
Old 11-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim99 View Post
grade 8.8
8.8 is a marking used on metric bolts that are a mild carbon steel, about the same as a US grade 5. Keep in mind that bikes on a rack, combined with any trailer bounce on a rough road will use the leverage effect on your receiver. I've built a few by installing two cross members to the frame rails and attaching the receiver tube to both. Look at the rear receiver that Orbital Machine sells for Casitas, very nicely done. I made mine similar to that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape