2006 CASITA 17' Leak Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: CASITA
Maryland
2006 CASITA 17' Leak Issue

I am a new owner of a 2006 CASITA 17' front bathroom. After several days of rain I noticed a small amount of water on the floor next to the kitchen sink cabinet. After looking at the top of the camper and around the windows I didn't see an obvious source of the leak. After checking the windows I noticed that none have silicone seals. Should I take it to an RV place and have an all over reseal done? Or should I try to do it myself?
Love Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
What model of casita will help with the possible source. The Liberty has the kitchen on the opposite side for the Spirit or Freedom. One source of a leak on mine was a crack in the vent cover for the fantastic fan. The covers are a lifetime warranty, just give them a call. You may also have leaking from the upper fridge vent.

Do Not use silicon on the windows as the oil from it will make it hard for any other sealer to stick. The windows have butyl tape seal and if its leaking from there you should remove the entire window and reseal it with new butyl tape which can be bought from almost any rv shop.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Name: Barbara
Trailer: CASITA
Maryland
Model is CASITA M-17 Freedom Deluxe. When you spotted the crack in the vent cover of the fantastic fan was it obvious or did you really have to look hard? I will check both the fan and the upper fridge vent. I really don't think the water is coming from any of the windows. Thanks for the warning about the silicone sealant. I had already used it on the rivets outside the windows. I have not taken it on a camping trip yet but hope to soon. I had to buy a new battery which is now dead; my fault for not keeping the camper plugged in occasionally to charge it. Thanks so much for each of your suggestions.
Love Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
The crack wasn't easy to see but you should be able to feel if the inside surface has water on it. Mine was like a crack in a windshield and only visible from an angle.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Camping View Post
I am a new owner of a 2006 CASITA 17' front bathroom. After several days of rain I noticed a small amount of water on the floor next to the kitchen sink cabinet. After looking at the top of the camper and around the windows I didn't see an obvious source of the leak. After checking the windows I noticed that none have silicone seals. Should I take it to an RV place and have an all over reseal done? Or should I try to do it myself?
Probably be from the rain but you may want to check the plumbing connections under the sink just to rule those out. Silicone is kind of "fighting words" in the molded TT world. Use butyl tape for any through shell opening.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We had a leak during torrential rains on our last camping trip. Water was under the cabinets, puddling on the floor under the fridge and sink. I cleaned it all up and checked all the plumbing and fridge drain (we have an icebox) and tried to trace back to where the leak might be coming from. I left dry paper towels under the cabinet hoping that would help pinpoint things as it continued to rain and it did!

Originally we thought water was coming in where the propane lines come into the front of the camper, but it was ACTUALLY from a side marker light, where the screw had pierced the fiberglass and water was running down behind the marker light directly into the cabinets out on to the floor. Water coming in runs everywhere, so it can be difficult to find. We were lucky ours didn't take us too long to discover. Good luck on finding yours!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Check the rivets above that area where you are finding water. I wiggled each one till I found one that had snapped and was allowing a bit off water through. 5 minutes a new cap and rivet and some silicone seal....problem solved. (^8

John
Casita-Freak
WD5IKX
Casita-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita