Do you tow with 2014-17 ford escape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: ruth
Trailer: 1986 13' scamp
Pennsylvania
Do you tow with 2014-17 ford escape?

looking for new to me vehicle, want to be able to pull 16' scamp. I am interested in the 2014-17 escape 2.0ecoboost. Please leave feedback on real world use with 16'. longest trip you've had and any issues you've had in regards to break down/reliability. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!!
kayleigh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #2

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita 16
Florida
Towing

I have a 2014 2.0L Ford Escape with factory tow package, it is rated for 3500lbs. I tow a 16' Casita (wt 2100 empty) and have not had any issues. In April we towed from Ft. Lauderdale to Washington DC and back to Ft. Lauderdale in a 3 week period without any issues. Be sure that the Ford you purchase has a factory tow package, you can contact Ford with the VIN number to be sure, as some Escapes are only rated for 1500 lbs.
CaptRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Towing with Ford Escape

We routinely tow our 13' Scamp with our 2013 Ford Escape with 2.0L Ecoboost engine. We get about 18 mpg. Longest trip we've made is about 700 miles. That mileage includes freeway, secondary highway, city/suburban driving, and even climbing up over the Siskiyou Mountains (4500ft) without ever dropping below the speed limit. We have had absolutely no problems with either the trailer or the tow vehicle. The Escape is equipped with a Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller, and simple hitch without any form of stabilizer.

What the Escape would do with the heavier 16' trailer, I'm not sure, but given the amount of reserve power available with the 13' I doubt you would have any problems.

If you have any specific questions, contact me.
ravensrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
I traded a 2010 Ford Edge with 3.5L v-6 for a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost, 4wd, and tow package. I have a 16 Scamp, loaded with all accessories and I have to say the Escape pulls it better than the Edge did. Also improved gas mileage. The Escape engine has more torque at a lower rpm than the v6 Edge. Seems odd, but it does pull better. Not as much downshifting. I think you will be happy with the Escape.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Make sure you get the tow package. It probably includes extra transmission cooling and other important items.

Here's a thread from about a year ago, about the Escape: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-0l-74096.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh0302 View Post
looking for new to me vehicle, want to be able to pull 16' scamp. I am interested in the 2014-17 escape 2.0ecoboost. Please leave feedback on real world use with 16'. longest trip you've had and any issues you've had in regards to break down/reliability. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!!
: prior to the Ecoboost and tow capabilities along with 4wd on could not tow with a 2012 Ford Escape because of the CVT transmission, worst part you could not tow with it nor could it be towed behind a RV for a drive car once you arrive at your destination. Now I'm talking 4cyl, Auto with CVT tranny.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Name: ruth
Trailer: 1986 13' scamp
Pennsylvania
Wow thanks everybody for the outstanding feedback!! Good to see so many '14 I was concerned with the recalls but real world towing is important. Yes will have 2.0 and factory tow pkg which is supposed to have bigger alternator, trans cooler and pre wired. When I asked about brake controller he said car can't pull enough to need one. Great job thanks everyone!!!!
kayleigh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
The answer regarding brake controller is wrong. You need the controller and trailer brakes.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

I doubt that Ford sells a brake controller (but I could be wrong); that is generally an aftermarket device. The Tekonsha Prodigy is a popular type. I have the P3 model. I think someone on this forum mentioned a year or two back that they'd had trouble getting a brake controller wired in, and someone else installed a wireless RF (radio frequency) controller with ease... I don't recall who, though. I have towed both with and without trailer brakes, and I definitely recommend the brakes (and thus a controller).
Old 06-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I doubt that Ford sells a brake controller (but I could be wrong); that is generally an aftermarket device. The Tekonsha Prodigy is a popular type. I have the P3 model. I think someone on this forum mentioned a year or two back that they'd had trouble getting a brake controller wired in, and someone else installed a wireless RF (radio frequency) controller with ease... I don't recall who, though. I have towed both with and without trailer brakes, and I definitely recommend the brakes (and thus a controller).
I don't know about the Escape but you can purchase an F series truck with an OEM brake controller. Also, I believe available in the Explorer.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I don't know about the Escape but you can purchase an F series truck with an OEM brake controller. Also, I believe available in the Explorer.
Yes, but those are built-in controllers, aren't they? I always assumed they were specific to the F series pickups and not something one could readily install in an Escape. I'd never heard of any non-pickup Ford coming from the factory with a brake controller, but I'll take your word on the Explorer if you say so.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't Ford think offers a factory integrated brake controller on the Escape. I'm not even sure the factory pre-wiring in the tow package includes a brake line; it may be 4-pin only (i.e., just trailer lighting). I recall reading several posts by members describing installation of brake line and controller on their late model Escapes, which is why I have that impression. Could be wrong, and of course, and it may vary depending on the model year.

Ask your dealer for a written description of exactly what's included in the tow package, or you may be able to find it online. I believe Ford publishes a towing guide for each model, separate from the sales brochure or owner's manual, and updated for each model year. I wouldn't rely on anyone's verbal answer. I got all kinds of well-intended but incorrect information about towing from a dealer when I bought my current tug. I expected that from sales staff, but was surprised to find employees in the service department were no better informed.

Best wishes sorting it all out!

EDIT: Here it is for the 2017 Ford Escape. Ford only supplies 4-pin wiring.
2017 Ford Escape Trailer Towing Selector
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Here's the towing guide for the Explorer, and I don't see any mention of an integrated trailer brake controller in the Class III towing package, but it does include the full 7-pin pre-wiring.
2017 Ford Explorer Trailer Towing Selector
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape