Questions about Trillium construction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Questions about Trillium construction

I have been working on the trailer (do we ever stop) and rehung the door. It swings wonderfully to 90 degrees and then it stops. It will go further if pushed and does not feel like it is binding, but we think it is. On closer inspection we noticed that the top hinge mounting location on the trailer, as apposed to the door, is not straight, but leans out. We plan on now taking the door off again and grinding that down so it is straight.

Is this caused by the original mold or is it due to many reno's by previous owners?

Because we taped the door in place while hanging it, we pulled some paint off the door. Does the door have a metal plate in it?

Do trilliums have metal corners? When the paint was chipped due to rocks, there appears to be metal there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3436.jpg   IMG_3432.jpg  

IMG_3433.jpg  
Old 08-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #2

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
No there is NOT any metal in the corners or the door, that looks like primer under the paint to me.. The door has wood inside the hollow door for the screws to attach to this almost always rotten and the screws barely hold.. Some people drives match sticks and tooth picks into the screw holes that have been dipped in wood glue to help strengthen the holding power of the screws.. Then I've seen others who drill out the screw holes and then epoxy plastic screw anchors in the holes...
I cannot tell from the top picture exactly what your talking about the hinge plate being crooked or miss aligned, the picture is sideways and very hard to see the problem.. Maybe a better picture would help...
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Randy, the site will only load that picture sideways. Not sure how to fix that. We pulled all the old wood out of the trailer hinge location and fiber glassed in a couple of pieces of teak and then attached an aluminum plate on the inside as well. The door we just filled and re-drilled.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:04 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I have been working on the trailer (do we ever stop) and rehung the door. It swings wonderfully to 90 degrees and then it stops. It will go further if pushed and does not feel like it is binding, but we think it is. On closer inspection we noticed that the top hinge mounting location on the trailer, as apposed to the door, is not straight, but leans out. We plan on now taking the door off again and grinding that down so it is straight.

Measure the distance between each screw on the top hinge and the corresponding screw on the bottom hinge. All should be the same. If not then the hinges are not parallel and as you open the door it will bind. Mine came from the factory that way and I had to reinstall them. I made a "tool", a piece of wood with two nails to get all the screws properly aligned. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-47624.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium