I was sure I was done buying Trilliums for Now - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #81

Name: Greg and Robin
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Florida
David:

Do I sense a possible kick-start to this thread may be in order?

Will Humpty Dumpty be revived???

Greg and Robin
1975 Trillium 1300
2013 Dodge Durango

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Alachua, FL
wglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #82

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Oh yes! But with six Trilliums, five kids, and three cats, time is hard to find. This summer I was working on my sons trailer, Launch Pad. He is now in a new location. So, do I work on Humpty Dumpty, or the Cantaloupe, or possibly Wedding Gift? Decisions, decisions. My latest 4500, which is still nameless. Needs brakes, but not much else.
I am heading out to Ontario, this Saturday, to go get my van, and my first Trillium, Life Support:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-60777.html

That thread will be getting an update as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #83

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Oh my! 2 gallons of gas and a match is all it now needs !
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #84

Name: Norman
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Wow thats the exact fridge I need! Guess you need it too!?
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #85

Name: Mike
Alberta
So going to attempt to step into David T's shoes here and revive both humpty dumpty and this thread.
I work with Dave and am an avid camper, always wanted a fiberglass trailer and when Dave offered up humpty dumpty i couldnt say no. Well was the wifes idea. At least thats what i let her think..
Some fiberglass experience through high school and am up to the task! I think....
Step #1 was removing the ensolite.. what a pain.
Paint scraper, exacto knife, enless patience and maybe a beer or 12. Saved the full roof panel with as david t mentioned previous about 5% foam loss.
step #2
Remaining foam/glue removeal again requires beer and patience. I used i wire wheel on a cordless drill to get it down to bare glass. Corded drill would be recommended. All in about 10 hours including a good bath to the outside, Consisting of a mild dish soap with a touch of vinegar.
Next comes the roof supports and alignment.
Now comes the real fun
Attached Thumbnails
20200712_133302.jpg  
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #86

Alberta
Registry
No comment?!?! Weird!

Mike bought Humpty Dumpty from me. It had been sitting in my back yard for too long. Trying to get the Ensolite off the ceiling just about killed me. At one point I went through it and realized I was doing more damage than good. So I was faced with destroying the Ensolite, and eventually replacing it with Reflectix and rat fur. I just could not do that. So I just stopped. I stopped working on trailers all together. I guess I was kind of discouraged. We still camp in Launch Pad though. Now I have picked up a new interest, Arduino. Google it. My 16 year old daughter took a grade 11 class called, "Pre Engineering". It's her fault. Got it almost as bad as I did with fibreglass.

Mike got Humpty Dumpty, (he's keeping the name) to his house, (six blocks from my house) and after two days of work and some, "Goo Gone", (https://googone.com/) he had the Ensolite off in one piece, with a few holes, thanks to me. He tells me that the job was not much fun. Actually his exact words were, "I never want to do that again". It may be a bit lumpy when we put it back on, we will see.

The roof almost stands on its own now. Tomorrow we will start grinding and sanding the glass we laid down. There is some damage on the inside that will require grinding into the upper kitchen cupboard, where it meets the back splash, on the right side. We will need to go right through and expose the shell of the trailer from the inside. This is the part I LOVE! Grind, glass, repeat as necessary.

I will be posting some pictures, hopefully Mike will as well, (but not sideways). Getting back to glass is like running into an old friend. Mike just wants to go camping, but there are some things that need to be done before that. The door hangs OK, but I really want to get the frame bolts changed. Being a 1973, it has not had the recall mods made to the frame, so that needs to be done. The frame bolts pearce the frame making the recall even more important. I think I have convinced Mike that supports at either end of the kitchen are a good idea. I just have to assume that some loss of shell strenth is to be expected. The orignal axle has no suspension, but Mike figures that as long as he keeps it on smooth roads, he can go camping with it.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #87

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I always wondered what happened to this project. Looking forward to more of the story as you make progress!

This particular trailer is a real testament to the build quality of the Trillium. Total, complete roof collapse yet it will live again. OK, its also a testament to the inability of the roof to support weight too...
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #88
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Talking Too Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Always wanted to make a slide out in a fg trailer maybe you could try a slide up
Lol.....that is hilarious!!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:27 PM   #89

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
Washington
Registry
Just got finished reading this entire thread. Lots of great information hope to see more updates soon thanks so much you guys
Chris McGurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #90

Alberta
Been a good summer working on this project. Once the ensolite was removed the alignment and fiberglass work started. Slow and steady. 1 hour a day grinding sanding and laying new glass. Dave T came up with a very creative way to install leds in the original tail light.. i will let him share as i was pulling new wire for the electrical.. Next was the axle. I had Joe at Outback install and 24 hours later we were rolling (smoothly) Thank you Joe! The wife then started on the cushions/curtains and i tackled some homemade cabinet doors as well as some new supports for the kitchen. I used some aluminum conduit, polished and stainless steel shower rod holders from amazon. First trip out we had 24 hours of the hardest rain i have seen in a while. 1 small leak from the vent (which i handt touched yet) success!! 2 more trips under the belt without issue.. Stereo system installed, flooring and some new propane lines for the furnace and we are almost there. Original fridge will go back in after a good clean and new paint job!
Old 10-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #91

Name: Peggi
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Florida
How in the world did the roof cave in?
pgcrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #92

Name: Doug
California
Registry
I was sure I was done buying Trilliums for Now

What an incredible story.
David T, I admire your tenacity and can totally relate to your comments regarding your own methods and motivations. I also read “the worst holiday” and it brought back many of my own experiences. In a former life, I ran the Canadian National Rally Championship for over a decade. That involved 12 or 14 events scattered across the country that require you to tow a rally car on a car trailer just to get to the events, then drive 1000mi mostly on rough gravel as fast as you can and then tow the car home to be rebuilt in time for the next event in 3 or 4 weeks. Thinking back the most memorable parts were the towing rather than the event itself. In the early years I ran on a very limited budget and so used an old Dodge van with 300,000 mi on it to tow the 30,000 mi each season, we called it “The White Whale”. It broke down constantly. It was crazy, stupid even, but I really miss those times. Everyone advised me that it made no sense economically, and it didn’t, but that was my way. So I completely get taking on Humpty Dumpty.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #93

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgcrump View Post
How in the world did the roof cave in?
No idea. The guy I bought it from said, "it is all my fault", but I didn't ask what he meant by that. My guess is either snow load, or someone on the top of the trailer.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #94

Alberta
Registry
Pictures

Since Mike seems to have trouble posting pictures, here are some I took a couple of months ago. Mike has since installed a couple of support rods between the kitchen counter top and the upper kitchen cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3016[1].jpg   IMG_3017[1].jpg  

IMG_3020[1].jpg   IMG_3019[1].jpg  

IMG_3026[1].jpg   IMG_3028[1].jpg  

Old 06-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #95

Alberta
Registry
OK, So Mike is ready to glue the Ensolite back up. He tried Gorilla spray adhesive, (https://www.gorillatough.com/product...pray-adhesive/). It fell off after a couple of warm days.

What is the currently recommended product for this?
Old 06-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #96

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would guess (and its only a guess).. 3m 90 or this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MEBENM

At least those are the two options I would consider for Rat Fur so maybe its good for this also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #97

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I used contact cement to glue the ensolite on and it holds real good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:40 PM   #98

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I used contact cement to glue the ensolite on and it holds real good.
Any particular brand?
Old 06-16-2021, 05:10 PM   #99

Alberta
I used Lepage on the walls and it worked great. The gorilla isn't designed for head liners but the spray was definitely easier than brush application. Have lots of Lepage contact cement left so will continue down that road!
Old 06-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #100

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
OK, So Mike is ready to glue the Ensolite back up. He tried Gorilla spray adhesive, (https://www.gorillatough.com/product...pray-adhesive/). It fell off after a couple of warm days.

What is the currently recommended product for this?
After the 3M glue failed in the Phoenix summer heat, I redid the whole thing with DAP hi temperature headliner spray adhesive. 4 years later it is still holding
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium