1975 Trillium 1300 home at last - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Don red max is the same product as zep red max was made by zep but is no longer available
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #22

Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I know the thread Is from 2010 so while out and about I will look for Zep. I'll start with Home Depot then Lowes. I find a lot of products just aren't available in Ontario.
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #23

Ontario
So Home Depot has several Zep products for the floor. A bunch of cleaners and a few finishers. Which one am I looking for?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Ontario
Don get a gallon of floor sealer and a gallon of wet look floor finish it will be enough to do the trailer many times . First thing is to wet sand it which can be done in any conditions rain or shine it will make the trailer smooth and remove most surface marks if you don't want to do this you can just go over the clean trailer. Next is to apply 1 to 2 coats of sealer this has to be done when you have at least a 4 hour dry condition time if you apply to late in the day the Moisture at night will effect the outcome.next is to apply 3to 5 coats of the wet look finish although it sounds like allot it goes on fairly easy and you can keep on applying coat after coat with no waiting between coats as it dry s quickly. Remember you are not waxing so there is no buffing or rubbing . You should be applying the zep with a microfibre sponge that is similar in color to your trailer in thin even coats taking care to go back and check for runs before they dry works best with 2 people if possible . Don take your time and when your finished you'll be amazed at the results. The only issue you may have is if you have snow on the roof a long time it may lift some of the finish just recoat
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #25

Ontario
Thanks for all the instruction. I'd like to fix the little chips in the gel oat on the roof. I also have one spot in the front that either needs to be re fiberglassed or some silicone put over it to seal it until next summer. If I run out of time because of weather I'll do it first thing in the spring. I wonder if I should tarp it for the winter? I'm going to print off your instructions.

Hope to check the bearings out tomorrow. If all is good my wife and I will try an over nighter next weekend. Might have to even do it in the driveway as most camp grounds are closed.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #26

Ontario
I can't seem to find Zep sealer. Here is the pic of the wet look. Is this the right product?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	77758
Old 10-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Ontario
Don that's the right stuff the sealer is usually sold along side it . You should be able to find it at HD , Loews can tire , u can also use the finish as a sealer but I find it works a little easier with the sealer
Old 10-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #28

Ontario
I'll buy it tomorrow and check again for the sealer. I'm hoping it is nice on the weekend then I can repair the two spots in the Fiberglass and then Zep it.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #29

Ontario
Well today I hit the jackpot. Got Zep sealer, Zep Wet look and. BarKeepers a Friend. Got my 600 grit wet sandpaper too.
I started my repair of the larger spots/cracks in the Gelcoat to fix. Sure was fun trying to mix the colour right. I got pretty close. I'll sand the spots down tomorrow and see how much more I have to touch up. At least it is sealed for the winter. Weather will tell and i'll get some more pics.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #30

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi don----your trailer looks great and i am amazed how much a bath has improved its looks!
by any chance, was this trailer found/bought in campbellford???
i saw one there a few years ago under a tree in a backyard. looks like it.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #31

Ontario
Hi Theresa. The trailer was found in Collingwood. I was amazed how clean it got with just one good bath too. I'm sad the season is ending as I am enjoying cleaning it up.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #32

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Very nice trailer - and it cleaned up great! Our roof looked similar to yours and I was pleasantly surprised how well it cleaned up with a wash. I have a piece of interior trim that let go like yours - would like to get a piece and replace it. Not sure where to buy it. Nice job!!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #33

Ontario
Thanks for all the comments. Today I took the wheels off and had a look at the bearings. They look like they were just done. Cleaned out the wheel well and found a little crack with a piece missing. I imagine when driving in the rain it would be getting forced right into the little hole. I filled it with some Gelcoat to plug the hole. The trailer is coming along nicely.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #34
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Nice Trillium, welcome to the club. I would suggest checking the plywood around the windows to make sure it is sound. If there are window leaks, that's what goes. Also, that looks like a Bargman L 300 door lock. They are not made anymore and the unique shape makes them hard to replace. Expensive. Consider removing it, clean and lubricate, and reset using butyl tape. You might want to search out and review some of David Tilston's posts. He is the resident expert on older Trilliums. I think he currently has 5 Enjoy your new trailer, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #35

Ontario
Thanks for the tips Raz
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #36

Ontario
A few pics of the last days tinkering.

Name:	<a title=Trillium Gelcoat 002.jpg Views: 30 Size: 162.0 KB ID: 77811" style="margin: 2px" />

Hard to match the colour but I am almost there. After a few coats I should have it pretty close

Name:	<a title=Trillium Gelcoat 001.jpg Views: 28 Size: 148.8 KB ID: 77812" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	Trillium Gelcoat 006.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	77813

Hope to do some sanding but it has gotten to cold out to apply any more Gelcoat. Maybe a nice day will come.

Name:	Trillium Gelcoat 007.jpg
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	77814
Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #37

Ontario
Can you get new plastic covers/doors? The ones that cover the power cord, water hook up and sink drain are all brittle and falling apart. These are on the outside. I'll grab some pics tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Can you get new plastic covers/doors? The ones that cover the power cord, water hook up and sink drain are all brittle and falling apart. These are on the outside. I'll grab some pics tomorrow.

Sure at just about any RV store but I'm not sure if they are totally the same. Dave will chime in soon for you....he's the Trill King here.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #39

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Thanks Dave. I'll have to read up on the heater as this is where I lack in knowledge. No sure if the fridge is a three way or not. Today I'll start investigating that stuff.
I highly recommend Panda Propane in Holland Landing if you have troubles.

Quote:
I opened up the awning. ... The bag is rotten. I have removed it now and can take it to a guy sown the street who makes boat tops and recovers soft tops.
A good contact to have, let us know how it works out and if they are willing to do work for non neighbours.

Quote:
Someone previously found some at the RV dealer in Collingwood. If not Hughes RV in Orangeville. They come in 2 colours Polar White (white) and Colonial White (the original off-white). Chris McVeigh has posted pictures of some he has spray painted to match the original colours.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #40

Ontario
That's great info. I'd like to get the heater looked at and in two weekends we can do our maiden voyage. Got to love the site and people who help. It really makes tracking down stuff easier. I will let you know about my neighbour Jim and repairs to the awning. He did some work on a snowmobile cover by adding some material because I changed the seat. You never would have known it wasn't for the factory.

Tags
trillium