Real wood floors in a Scamp 1998 16? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #1

Name: Roseanna
Trailer: scamp
California
Real wood floors in a Scamp 1998 16?

Hi everyone,
I was looking into replacing my carpet with wood flooring. Millstead High Gloss Vintage Maple Natural. It is sold at home Depot. It is made of natural material. This kind of wood flooring would not bubble if wet.
My understanding is everyone is using TrafficMASTER Allure Vinyl Plank Flooring. But I really like the way the light reflects of the grains in the Millstead Vintage Maple. So my question is has anyone ever installed this type of flooring in a scamp or something like a scamp? What would be the complications of installing it?
Thank you everyone for your advice.
Roseanna
scamphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Roseanna, I'm sure someone will be along to talk about your question.

My 2 cents. This is a travel trailer. It goes places where there's lots of dirt, dust, mud, pine needles, tiny rocks, marshmellows, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, etc., etc., etc.

While camping, you want to have the most usable, maintenance free floor you can get and still like the look. Besides, if you're like most with vinyl/wood floors you'd end up covering most of it up with throw rugs that you can take outside and shake out the dust, etc.

I'm glad my new 5er will have seamless vinyl. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The only problem that I see is the raising the height of the floor because tall people already have a problem inside the egg.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

California
Donna,
Thank you. That does make allot of since.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #5

California
Darwin,
Thank you. I did think of that. The boards are 9.66 mm. They appear to be allot thinner than the laminate flooring at home depot. Unless I overlooked any samples at home depot. The one I like are Engineered hardwood. I do not like the idea in infringing on any head room. But I really like the floor. I will have to do a bit more thinking on this I guess.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
As long as it is engineered hardwood it should be no problem. I put engineered hardwood in my burro 2 years ago it stands up very well and still looks new except the last board next to the door which gets some water from the door . I have lots of flooring left over and I just swap out that piece every time they get bad should be good for 10 - 15 years with what I have left . If you use the hardwood make sure to run it parallel to the door and buy extra and it should be no problem
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
When the PO of my Burro replaced the entire floor, he coated the plywood, top, bottom and edges, with the black textured type of pickup bed liner. He recessed the bolt heads so that it would be possible to lay carpet or whatever, and I even went so far as to stick down one square of the "peel and stick" tile that has a sort of parquet flooring look to see how it would hold up. Buuuuttt, I use this thing camping well off the pavement and it frequently gets muddy inside, so I haven't ever gotten around to actually installing a floor, and you know what? I've about decided I like the floor the way it is! JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Do be aware that "engineered hardwood" is just a generic term for what amounts to plywood whose topmost layer is some sort of hardwood. Under and inner layers can be most anything, sometimes even particle board.

I'd most particularly investigate exactly what any brand of such a material was made of before deciding to install it inside a "room" as prone to dampness/humidity as most fiberglass trailer are.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Real wood floors in a Scamp 1998 16?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401679065.741676.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	71835Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401679106.294433.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	71836Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401679173.313994.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	71837
Pre finished BamBoo true tung and groove 3/4" thick. Not "engendered" sealed with a nice floor wax.

There are some benefits to "engineered" hard woods. The materials are stable, since its not solid wood you don't have grow shrink issues and twisting, which is a factor in real hardwoods. This can be really troublesome if you live in a humid cold area, and camp in a hot dry area. The rapid changes can give you some very interesting floor problems. "Engineered" wood products are made using a thin veneer of hard wood laid on a stable backing. Since the wood grains of that backing are oriented all over the place when they dry out or get hot they counter act each other and the floor planks stay put.

Now that being said, I have seen "engineered wood" on everything from Plywood to MDF. Beware that if these materials get subjected to wet, they will fail. The dense plywood type have the best chance of survival. And typically these floors are designed to not be sealable. Whereas you're plain old wood usually can be.

Honestly, I would stick with good old linoleum. Single sheet water tight. Low maintenance. (Unless you have a dog or three )

Just my 3 cents.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
How heavy is this material ? I would love to put porcelain tile in my trailer. We have it in our house and love it but the weight would be a concern. I've also considered wood laminate but would want to check out the weight of the material.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm thinkin' porcelain tile might be a bit on the whatchamightcall "brittle" side for one of these portable earthquakes.

I can't even get to camp with graham crackers for the s'mores still in recognizable pieces!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
How heavy is this material ? l.
Solid tung and groove is probably a trifle lighter than an engineered version of the same thickness. It's all certainly heavier than linoleum or or laminate. But if you're only doing an 4X6 area or so, I would think the weight would be negligible in the scope of things.

Tile on the other hand would be untimely cool. But like Francesca said would be a ton more weight and thickness to get it not to break.

I had an idea about using the "grout able" sticky laminate tiles, and then grouting them in with a flexible silicone based adhesive. Probably not worth the effort.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #13

California
Hello,
Thank you guys again for all your responses.

Mike: Your words are encouraging thank you . I'm taking notes " parallel to the door and buy extra " Thank you for the tips!!

Charlie: That is really nice the "PO coated the plywood, top, bottom and edges, with the black textured type of pickup bed liner and recessed the bolt heads". I would of never thought of that!! Cool idea! I get what you are saying about liking the floor the way it is. lol I racked my brain trying to think how I could coordinate everything as good as scamp co did. There is really nothing wrong with what I have. I just thought I would bring it up to date a little bit. But in all actuality there is no real need to. I can hear my father saying "If it ant broke don't try n fix it. With that being said i might just wait a few years before i do anything. But at least by then I will have proper education on the dos and don'ts of installing floors.

Francesca and David,
Thank you for the information on what to be on the look out for. The home depot website says the product I have my eyes on has "No HDF or other fiber boards are utilized. The stability of this construction provides superior strength, humidity resistance..." although I did read a review saying that it is not as durable as the manufacture would like one to believe.
By the way David your floor looks fabulous! Thank you for all your input to! Everyone is so helpful.

Jack,
You brought up a good question "how heavy is it?" Well the site says "20 sq. ft. per case. Case weight is 28 lb" My trailer is 16ft x ? But I will not install floor in the whole trailer. I just wan to do the walk way and under both tables. I need to measure it. I feel embarrassed that i did not do that yet. I just guest I would take maybe a box and 1/2 maybe? That would be some extra weight for sure!! By the way your porcelain tile sounds pretty.

David that is a cool idea about the tile table.

Thanks again everybody for the advice and tips! It looks like I may have a book of dos and don'ts by the time i get around to doing this. Right now I'm facing a aesthetics dilemma on installing the floor. There is some kind of water hose under the side dinette table under the carpet. A hose and a small copper pipe along with wires. I think they will be exposed if I took out the carpet.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For real wood I glued down cork after removing the old vinyl. It added little weight compared to engineered floors, and with a few coats of polyurethane, is just as tough as vinyl flooring.

It looks great, is tough and light, and is cozy and warm underfoot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #15

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Jim, so the cork is put down in tiles and then you seal it with urethane ? How thick is it ? And how is it on the feet for cushioning ?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #16

Registry
Conrad, here is a link to my install. Note that I put down two layers of 3/16" tile, mostly for the warmth and comfort, but one layer would suffice. And yes, I sealed it with a few coats of a good water based polyurethane.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-58623.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #17

California
Jim I really like the way it turned out! Very nice!!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamphappy View Post
Thanks again everybody for the advice and tips! It looks like I may have a book of dos and don'ts by the time i get around to doing this. Right now I'm facing a aesthetics dilemma on installing the floor. There is some kind of water hose under the side dinette table under the carpet. A hose and a small copper pipe along with wires. I think they will be exposed if I took out the carpet.

I had to deal with that when I installed my vinyl floor, as I have four water lines plus wiring running across the back. I ran a piece of aluminum channel across the back between the benches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401857074.832319.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	71934
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #19

California
Thank you Jared for replying and for posting a pic. That is a very good Idea. I am not sure if I could get away with that because the hose n wires run in a curve around the wheel well. :/ Ps nice kitty !! I wish I could post a pic of what I am working with but I am not sure on how to do post directly here like you did?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamphappy View Post
Jim I really like the way it turned out! Very nice!!
Thanks, we really like it. It turned out to be everything we hoped for, and more.

Tags
scamp