Scamp 12v Charging on Road Question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Time to wire in a "on" or lighted switch
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #42

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'll have to try this on my trip in two weeks. I've never ran it on 12v.

I don't forsee an issue, but I could be wrong. 10 gauge wire and a 130 amp alternator should provide everything it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #43

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
When running a 12 volt load the ability of the alternator to respond to that load is the critical factor. Seem as if that would be different than just charging the house battery.

Regulator is going to respond to the overall voltage on the circuit being below it's target voltage, as long as the alternator has the capacity to deliver that plus a little left over you will charge rather than discharge.

I would imagine you could turn on the stuff you normally run in the TV and test voltage with a multi meter, then plug in trailer with fridge on and re-test voltage. If it is in the normal range for alternator ( I think between 13.8 and 14.1 or something like that) then your set up is good. Don't think the difference between #12 and #8 would make it work or not work unless it was within about 8% of alternator capacity.

Installing new line for a 7 pin connector on TV I would go with #8 since the cost difference is minimal and 8% greater charge voltage is enough to be worth it. In my case the main purpose of that power line is to charge the battery, Not going to be delivering an especially high charge rate anyway so every little bit helps.

Don't think I would be running fridge on 12 volt going down the road. And would want to test first because I'm not sure if my alternator is high enough amperage to handle that if I'm running the blower for AC or heater, head lights, wipers etc.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #44
DJO

Name: DJO
Trailer: Parkliner #40 something
Colorado
Registry
Thanks so much for this discussion! How do you know all this stuff?! We ran our battery dead last weekend and have been wondering what we did wrong. Likely driving with the fridge on did it.
DJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #45

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Thanks so much for this discussion! How do you know all this stuff?! We ran our battery dead last weekend and have been wondering what we did wrong. Likely driving with the fridge on did it.
If you don't have a charge line running to your 7 pin plug you would be running straight battery until the battery died.

If you have a charge line for the house battery going back to the 7 pin plug you might want to see what alternator is rated for in amperage.

All the alternator in a typical vehicle is intended to do is run the normal vehicle stuff with a little left over to charge the battery back up after starting the vehicle. 10 amp load for fridge plus trailer battery may have just been too much. Sometimes there is a model of alternator that has higher output that your TV can use. Possible future upgrade.

Umm I think in my case mostly by running the battery dead or similar misadventures. Then asking around to find out why did that happen? In some lucky cases hearing about someone else having the misadventure so I gain from them sharing their pain on the forum.

Others have a career spanning decades in a related field to draw on. Nothing like doing something for a few decades to make you smarter than the average bear about that subject.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #46

Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Some states prohibit your rv/camper LP tanks from being turned on while driving. I know for a fact that areas that have tunnels along the major traffic arteries explicitly prohibit LP from being in the "ON" position while traversing the tunnel(s). Yeah, I know no one is PROBABLY going to stop you and check that it is off, but heaven help you if you are involved in an accident while the tank valves are open.
rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #47

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcastle View Post
Some states prohibit your rv/camper LP tanks from being turned on while driving....clip...
That is certified as being "Old Wives Tail #373"

There are no states that prohibit leaving the LP on while towing.

Yes... some tunnels and ferries require that LP be turned off, but there are no states with a general prohibition. Otherwise, how would all those LP power vehicles, and Refrigeration units on trucks that use lp, still be operated.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #48

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I tow with my refrigerator on LP. I have for 16 years now on all different units.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #49

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Holly smoke, this much debate from that question!? Well anyway, I had to leave for our one week trip and just turned on the propane and ran it the whole time. Tank was nearly empty and amazingly didn't run out until the last day. It hardly used any gas.

Go ahead, crucify and shoot me for running the LP on the road. There are risks all over in life and I find the risk of driving with the LP tank on for the fridge pretty low as my occupation works around explosive gasses and dangerous things all day long. My fridge is on opposite side of where I filled up with gas and I always positioned on the far side of any gas pumps.

I highly suspect at least 75% of all Rv'rs do it all the time.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #50

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sorry... Always turn your LP refrigerators flame OFF when refueling.

While it may be on the opposite side from your filler, it can be also right next to the fuel tank filler on the vehicle that pulled in beside you and, when that person slops gas on the ground, the result will be on the local 6 o'clock news.

I only takes a minute every other day or so to stay safe and alive.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp