Looking at used Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking at used Scamp

Hello,
We are looking at a 1999 16ft Scamp for sale. Any advise on how to inspect/what to look for? It is not near electricity or water. How do we check the electricity ac, and other systems??
We are very excited, but don't want to buy foolishly. Any advise with this short notice question?
Thanks!
catboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Print the buyer's check list on this web site and take it with you.

http://http://www.fiberglassrv.com/buy-sell.html

If you can get a hold of a generator you could hook it up to check things. If there is propane you could check the fridge that way. If not get a tank to bring along. 20 pounders are cheap. It'll take a few hours for it to show any cooling. Also take along a 12V battery. Most of the electrical systems other than the air conditioner run on 12V too. Make sure the floor is firm. Spongy floors are signs of rotting and water damage. Expect to be buying new tires if more than 5 years old or cracked on the sides. If any rivet caps are missing it's a good idea to replace them. Not hard or expensive but a good idea to keep out leaks. Bring some fuses in case some are blown. Get yourself a kit like this. It will be handy for lots of reasons.
http://http://www.menards.com/main/t...817-c-9100.htm
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #3

Perfect! This is exactly what we need. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #4

Any thing(s) that we should pay particular attention to in a 15 year old Scamp?
Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 06:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As we have had at least two reports in the past few months about 16' Scamp frame cracks, take a very close look at the frame, especially right where it comes out from under the front of the trailer. It's not common, but has been seen, usually on the left side I think.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I agree with Bob. The 92 I we had where I worked literally broke off once on one side. We were able to reinforce it and weld it back together. Good spot to check. Things get old. Do a thorough inspection of the plumbing.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gene's link is bad, to many https. Here's a link to a download PDF that you can print out and take with you: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
I have a '98 Scamp 16 layout 6 that I bought used in 2011. I would guess the one you are looking at is close to mine.

For what it's worth, so far I have replaced the following:
- the vent cover because the original was brittle and cracked,
- the grey water pump in the front bath because the original was worn out. When I put in the new pump I added a grey water filter which I believe is now standard,
- the original RM2022 fridge with an ice box. Our fridge worked fine most of the time on propane (it stopped working on A/C) but would tend to shut off in 90 degree plus weather which is when I needed it the most. I decided to put in an ice box until I had time to research other options. At this point my food is going to stay cold as long as I keep ice in there. I'm leaning towards putting in a 12v fridge at some point.

In addition I have repaired the following:
- re-sealed all windows with butyl as the original foam tape seals were dried and separated at the corners and leaking
- fixed a crack where the grey water drain connects to the tank.
- replaced several snap caps on the exterior

I also removed a non-working TV antenna that was mounted through the roof above the rear dinette and patched the holes. We don watch TV while camping.

Also, I would check the wood/OSB floor from inside as much as you can around the outer perimeter of the trailer. Look inside dinette seats and under sink cabinets to make sure there is no rotting from window or water line leaks. When I found my window leaks there were small water stains where it ran down walls and landed on the floor. Luckily I have no rot as these leaks were small.

Most of this is probably normal maintenance so don't be too alarmed if you suspect your potential trailer has any of these issues. Of course things can break and wear out at different times.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

I really appreciate the help!! We have never owned a trailer, so it's all new to us. I am so glad I found the forum before we purchase a trailer, and know I will be on it a lot when we have one! I have been an admirer of Scamps and Casitas for years!!
We are going to look at it this afternoon.....
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #10

Hi Ken - with a '99 it seems there was a choice of either heat or AC, which would also be true for a '98. The one we are looking at has the AC. What do you have in yours, and have you figured out a way to have both heating and cooling?
Thanks!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Looking at used Scamp

Mine has both and I believe this is a fairly common setup. The Coleman AC unit is on the roof and the Suburban heater is mounted under the side dinette seat and vents out the side of the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #12

Thanks Ken
The Scamp we were looking at didn't work out, so we are still searching....

Tags
scamp