Leaking Burro front window & weep holes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: 1981 13' Burro
Washington
Leaking Burro front window & weep holes

VERY leaky front window. I kept putting off tackling removing the multi-patched silicone-laden thing. Taped a shoelace along the inside gutter of the window and down to a big bucket on the floor to suck the water into one place instead of ALL OVER the cushions and floor. After a day or two of rain, I'd empty out 1/2 gallon of water!
Finally taped a plastic sheet over the outside of the window. At least then I knew it was the window and not the overhead vent or the middle seam .... although, it could still be the attachment of the rock guard.
Warmer weather comes and I head out to start the window dismantle with an crowbar and an axe (ha).
After many many hours on this site, I realize I'd better check the weep holes in the window first. I don't know what 'weep holes' look like... turns out they're not holes, but long slots. Turns out I can't find mine. .... Until I look very carefully... and there they are! ... AT THE TOP OF THE WINDOW!!
Yep, the window was put in upside down.
Twofold baddie: doesn't let the water drain out... and a veritable faucet on top for letting the water in. Tsk.

I left the window in. And used my angle grinder cutting wheel to cut new weep holes in the bottom, and patched the top holes.
The rains haven't yet come, but it passed the 'hose test'.
Now I have a dry Burro ... well, O.K.... so far
Colleen Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Nice investigative work! I'm sure quality control slipped a few times at the Burro plant. Hope this solves your problem.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good job on finding the problem and your fix was the way to go to prove it. A whole lot easier than pulling the window.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro