Backing up my Burro - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderishguy View Post
hello. you don't use the mirrors when you are "pushing". you are looking " at " the trailer.

Precisely.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
unibody ! aahk ! have never owned one so can't say. have looked at some, but body on frame is my preference, despite the mileage. they do put receivers on the back of unibodies, don't they ? Isn't the front more reinforced due to the engine, trans etc anyways just throwing out a tried and true method for some. Probably you don't see them due to cost. It justifies that nasty word "custom". I guess on the unibodies ground clearance might be an issue. ".
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well personally rather than spending a bunch of money on having a receiver mounted in three spots on the front of my tug I think I might just spend the money on having someone teach me how to back up a trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have used trailer ball mounted to the front of my Bronco to move stuff and it makes it easy. But with an egg trailer it is right in your face and totally blocks your view. With allot of modern cars you could adapt front tow mounts that motor homers use on their tag alongs. One big issue with pushing with a front end on modern cars is the use of air bags. you don't want those going off.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well personally rather than spending a bunch of money on having a receiver mounted in three spots on the front of my tug I think I might just spend the money on having someone teach me how to back up a trailer.
I'll teach anyone that comes to my house with their TV, Trailer and a container of beverage (for after school) how to back up in about 15 minutes, and I've got a nice long uphill driveway to practice on.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We're not running an RV lot (David being the possible exception…LOL).
Me?

BTW, this is one of the reasons for the impulse drive:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ive-63533.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It just takes some practice... no matter WHAT works for you or others. Go slow, slow, slow and when things start going bad.. STOP. Continuing on the same path won't improve things. Pull forward a bit and start again.

You'll get it.. no one is born with the perfect-backing-spoon in their mouth, I PROMISE YOU!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #28

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've got 5 trailers and the worst ones for backing are the smallest. I have had a lot of practice, my driver I had in 03 in Iraq told me he could not back up a trailer... so I gave him a substantial amount of training. I had him backing the Sqd. Trailer around a block and around parking lot. I was being cussed at a lot by him but afterwards he didn't have any problems doing it. I learned about the same way. Hay wagons and then in Army M35 2 1/2 truck and various trailers one of the worst ones was a water trailer,short, heavy (500 gallons water) and not visible in mirrors.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
A $15 fix...

For $15 you should be able to remove the foot on your tougue jack replace it with a wheel and effortlessly move that trailer around with one hand. This will not help you in backing into a campsite but putting it back in the garage in seconds. My wife rolls it around like a little wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
front wheel 001.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #30

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I find the real trick to backing a trailer is to not let your brain get in the way.

Once I was having trouble backing in a campground; tight corner, big drop, poor design. A next door neighbor came to help. He said he would rather pack a 30 footer than a 13.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #31

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
All of us use tiny movements but what usually happens is no matter which way we turn the steering wheel, it continues to only go one way. All of us then pull forward to straighten everything out and then we try again.....same results.
The comment of only going one way makes me wonder about the axle alignment. Could it be out of alignment?
Trailer Tire Problems & Tips
Trailer Alignment Procedure
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #32

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Roy in TO:

Nah, it's me. I just watched my daughter back that little sucker into my garage. Sigh, time to face the music......hitch it up and go find an empty parking lot.

Really appreciated all the comments!
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro