Rare & Unusual Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I found this in a very interesting article in the SF Chronicle. It's a 24' molded fiberglass trailer made in 1961. They were made in Medford, OR and only about 10 of them were made before a fire destroyed the plant, molds and all. The company was Holiday House and the trailer is a Geographic.

The owner lives in Hollywood and has completely restored it. He found it around LA with "For Sale" spray painted on the side and bought it for $1500.

Wouldn't it be neat to see this at the Oregon Gathering?
Attached Thumbnails
1961GeographicTrailer.jpg  
Carol Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Looks like a 'shuttle craft' from a sci-fi movie - I love it!! I read about this thing - he spent a ton of money fixing it up!!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU
Quote:
I found this in a very interesting article in the SF Chronicle. It's a 24' molded fiberglass trailer made in 1961. They were made in Medford, OR and only about 10 of them were made before a fire destroyed the plant, molds and all. The company was Holiday House and the trailer is a Geographic.

The owner lives in Hollywood and has completely restored it. He found it around LA with "For Sale" spray painted on the side and bought it for $1500.

Wouldn't it be neat to see this at the Oregon Gathering?

Click on the link below to see more about this beauty. The owner has done a fantastic job redoing this Geographic.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...p;hl=geographic
drews60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #4

This article says he spent about $20,000 on it and has been offered $45,000. It sounds gorgeous inside; there are a couple of interior pictures but you can't tell much from them. I think the most amazing thing is that the seller still had all the documents for it, including the original sales slip. It sold for $8,700 in 1961. That's pretty expensive.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #5

Thanks drews60 for the link (I also included a link to the article I saw). The color pictures are wonderful, and that front window. WOW!

How great that the owner posted a message. It's a little different from the newspaper article I saw. I don't think newspapers are ever completely accurate, although they do mention the designer's name and some info about him.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1960 Geograph Model X
Wow, The articles have made a lot of noise and I am very happy with it. The trailer, its original designer and the manufacturer truly deserve the attention. Since I am the owner I would like to make a few corrections. Although LA Times interviewed me directly, there were a few typos. The trailer was made in 1960. There were only 5 made and this one was the only showroom model that was done for a large RV show in Van Nuys, california in February of 1961.

I still have not used it and I can't wait. I need to get an 8 Cylindar car to be safe. I would love to go to Oregon gathering since I went to school in Oregon (Eugene). And I should find the right person to travel with. I have never done this and I don't know anyone who would like to join me.

Because of all the limitaions, I may have to sell it, but at what price? So far, because of the articles all around the country the athenticity of this trailer has increased and based on the comments that I hear it shoud go for more than $125.000. Its truly a piece of American Histoy.
Bardy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Bardy, there are many members in LA that can help teach you about the towing part of it, if that is what you are talking about.

I will help if you like. There are a couple rallys coming soon. Sign up for one. I think the closest is Lake Cahullia in February. That would be a good one for you for towing as it's not hard terrain to get too and almost all freeway.

You are welcome to Caravan with me to Oregon, that is if you don't mind making a side trip to Colorado (I have a delivery to make and am taking the opportunity to see the mountain zone)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions. It would be great if I could arrange a trip to Oregon or ...
I have towed the trailer a few times arrond LA, and am learning a lot. Its my 6 Cylindar Ford Explorer that I am not sure about. I wonder if it is pushing it. I will come up with a way to do at least one trip.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #9

Registry
Yes, I would think you would want the largest and unquestionabley capable vehicle with that much green riding on the frame.

A museum piece should not be left to casual chance, but I can see your dilema. You bought it to enjoy, not worry about, but it's hard not to worry when you know what you actually have.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I have towed the trailer a few times arrond LA, and am learning a lot. Its my 6 Cylindar Ford Explorer that I am not sure about.
I would hope you get to enjoy your trailer as much as we have enjoyed ours.
I would be glad to help in any way possible.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:20 AM   #11

Thank you all. I am realy getting excited to actually arrange a trip with my trailer. But I must say that I am constantly reminded by every one that it shoud be in a museum, so I feel like I am taking big risk if I take it on the road. Its like having a boat that you can not wet!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
But I must say that I am constantly reminded by every one that it shoud be in a museum,
This makes me think of Toy Story 2. I liked the way that one ended... IMHO the moral of this story is similar, or at least the dilemma is.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #13

Registry
Working for a musical instrument manufacturer, I have the pleasurable opportunity on occasion to see, feel and handle guitars that intitially started out as off the line, mundain and run of the mill everyday production instruments.

They started there lives in the late 50s or early sixties and were intended to be played by working stiffs.

But over the years, thier character changes as the wood ages, and the other materials they are made out of wears from use and takes on outside things like skin acid, sweat and yes, even cigerette smoke damage. Most musicians can't wait for this "relicing" to happen, as it makes the instrument sound sweeter and warmer. It's what we call the Voodoo. Unfortunately, by the time this happens, the original owners have passed or no longer play.

These instruments come in today as things folks have found in pawn shops, or in Grandpas attic, or at garage sales.. the owners never knowing thier $ value. But what is more important, is priceless. They PLAY themselves almost. This natural aging cannot be duplicated exactly, it has to be done with plain old time and use. (We have a line of "Pre Aged" instruments we call "Relics". They come close, but they are missing the Voodoo)

The dilema for the owners is: Do they use the instrument as intended, creating sounds that could not otherwise be achieved, or do they protect it by never using it?

Musicians will tell you it's a crime NOT to play it, the accountants and antique collectors will tell you it's crime to put it in harms way. There is just not many of them out there that have survived the rigors of proffesional use.

I understand both sides. Your trailer is the same. We all would cry if it was splatted on the road, but we all want to see it and admire it.. even own it, but it is no doubt out of our price range, and we don't want to take on your dilema either.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry

Well said, Gina.

I guess some that depends on how you value such things. Musical instruments, do you value the $ value or the artistic value? With this trailer the same thing applies, the $ value or the enjoyment of use value? The person that owns said items must make that decision. I can understand the dilema.

The best suggestion I have is to think about it carefully, then make the decision you can feel comfortable and happy with.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Love your trailer Bardy!

I know what I would do. I'd buy a tow vehicle and take that trailer camping. I would also take advantage (and I have) of the kind offers to help with towing and all the "stuff" that goes with it. But I enjoy talking to people and you are going to have plenty of talking to do when you go camping because everyone is going to be curious about your trailer. I'd put together a scrap book or story board in case you loose your voice from all the chatting you will find yourself doing.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #16

I was going through that when LA Times article came out. So I just let people read the article. Still, there is lot that I end up talking about. A scrap book of the original condition photos, restoration and the finished product is also being put together. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Welcome to the forum, Bardy. What a great looking trailer!

If it were mine and worth 6 figures, I'd put it on top of a flatbed and haul it to the rallys.

You could still sleep in it at least once but not have the worry of it getting harm.

Driving a car worth that much is done all the time, but, towing something so special just seems to be taking a risk. Perhaps it's because it is so original and it would be a shame to see something happen to it after all this time and your work.

Best wishes and Enjoy!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #18

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hey... think about this for a minute... yep it's a museum piece... a work of art, really. Who better to enjoy it than folks who have trailers? Where to find folks with trailers? At campgrounds and rallies of course! The thing was built and meant to be used and enjoyed. Bardy, take it out and have a ball. It's well documented now, and you've got a fair amount invested so go enjoy it! What good is it sitting around collecting dust somewhere? Just be prepared to be interrupted regularly by folks who want to see it...

Sometimes having a mass-produced trailer brings a certain amount of anonynimity that allows for the quiet enjoyment of beautiful places. Maybe you'll want to pick up one of the less-rare models for that "quiet getaway" sometime...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #19
jlmoulto

I'm for enjoying things. If the value of this thing is too high to enjoy, sell it and replace with something with a lower value that you don't mind towing and getting out there.

A friend of mine has a policy of "damaging" all of his new stuff. A small scratch here and there gets him beyond the worry of the first scratch appearing and on to the enjoying it. Interesting philosophy for sure.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #20

Registry
My brother has a truck. He loves his truck. He keeps it like it just drove off the lot.

And it might as well have. He rarely drives it or does truck things with it, because he wants to keep the miles low and prevent damage.

His reasoning is that he doesn't want to devalue it for resale.

But, he doesn't consider it a loss that he is making huge payments and getting no benefit from them, because... he doesn't use the dang thing!

I am not good at math, but this doesn't seem to add up... to me.

I have one brand new car and my old faithful Element. When I drive the new car, I take care of it for ME, because I want it to be nice for ME. But, I am not going to NOT drive it to keep it in a constaint state of new car smell. I bought it to use.

The Element is taken care of as well, but I use it for towing and when I think the dogs may make funny smells. I don't trash it, but if it gets "worn", I don't cry.

Tags
geographic