Make a Scamp 13' Nylon Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1982
Make a Scamp 13' Nylon Awning

I have added a post on how to make a awning for a Scamp 13".

SCAMP 13’ AWNING ADDTION

I have added a 9’ x 12’ awning to my camp. Here are the parts I used and how to attach the rail to the Scamp.

Sailrite Company
Flex-A-Rite White 90” Long # 103355 $12.95
Keder-Awning Rope-Tape #102549 $1.20/ft. O order extra rail and Keder to make front and rear awnings later?
Seamstick 3/8 Basting Tape $9.95
Loctite Pl Premium 10 OZ Polyurethane Construction Adhesive (Lowes)

1. Measure were to place the rail on the Scamp. I did mine 7.5 inches from the drip awning over the door.

2. You will have to heat up the railing to bend it around the curves of the Scamp. See Sailrite video to bend. Take your time.

3. Place the rail 7.5 inches up from the drip awning, mark on the underside with a pencil and the back side of the rail.

4. Run masking tape along the pencil marks.

5. Lightly sand/scuff up the gelcoat on the Scamp and the back of the rail for a better grip. Use rubbing alcohol on the scuff area on the Scamp and the rail, to clean up residue.

6. Run a bead of adhesive in the middle of the rail and place it between the masking tape, moving the rail, top to bottom to spread the adhesive between the rail and Scamp. Press and hold for 10 minutes or longer. I place weights/heavy on the rail and let is set for 36 hours. Perfect.

7. Make your tarp and sew the Keder rope to the Tarp. I made the Keder 1 inch longer on both sides for easy pull threw, and overhang.
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp 13' awning

Do you have any pictures? Sounds great!
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
Video link please

I couldn't find the video on Sailrite's site or Youtube channel. I'd also like to know how your awning has held up on your travels. Thanks.
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Scamp 13' Awning

I will post pictures in late October of the awning. I'm waiting for some aluminum poles to support the awning top like a tent. There is no video to make the awning. Go to YouTube and look on how to make a camping tarp. I use a rip stop nylon, (waterproof coated) Light weight and can be put in a small bag to store. I have attached the Sailrite web site on how to bent the rail and parts. Go to Sailrite and search for the sku # I have provided for further help.
https://www.sailrite.com/Flex-A-Rail-White-90
Old 11-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

Update on Cronquist Awning Pics

[QUOTE=Thomas A Cronquist;720572]I have added a post on how to make a awning for a Scamp 13".

SCAMP 13’ AWNING ADDTION

I have added a 9’ x 12’ awning to my camp. Here are the parts I used and how to attach the rail to the Scamp.

Sailrite Company
Flex-A-Rite White 90” Long # 103355 $12.95
Keder-Awning Rope-Tape #102549 $1.20/ft. O order extra rail and Keder to make front and rear awnings later?
Seamstick 3/8 Basting Tape $9.95
Loctite Pl Premium 10 OZ Polyurethane Construction Adhesive (Lowes)

1. Measure were to place the rail on the Scamp. I did mine 7.5 inches from the drip awning over the door.

2. You will have to heat up the railing to bend it around the curves of the Scamp. See Sailrite video to bend. Take your time.

3. Place the rail 7.5 inches up from the drip awning, mark on the underside with a pencil and the back side of the rail.

4. Run masking tape along the pencil marks.

5. Lightly sand/scuff up the gelcoat on the Scamp and the back of the rail for a better grip. Use rubbing alcohol on the scuff area on the Scamp and the rail, to clean up residue.

6. Run a bead of adhesive in the middle of the rail and place it between the masking tape, moving the rail, top to bottom to spread the adhesive between the rail and Scamp. Press and hold for 10 minutes or longer. I place weights/heavy on the rail and let is set for 36 hours. Perfect.

7. Make your tarp and sew the Keder rope to the Tarp. I made the Keder 1 inch longer on both sides for easy pull threw, and overhang.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3087.jpg   IMG_3089.jpg  

IMG_3090.jpg   IMG_3091.jpg  

Old 11-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It looks pretty good but needs a little more work on the design of the fabric to get rid of the huge sag in the middle. Then you won't have to worry if it rains because it won't collect water and collapse.

The start of the design modification is to have three poles along the front edge instead of two. The one in the center is the tallest creating a pitched roof. You can also sew a pocket sleeve for a stiffener batten in the center that runs from the trailer out to the center pole. That will then create a ridge line in the middle of your awning. Making the batten removable will make it easier to fold up the awning into a small bag.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
You can also sew a pocket sleeve for a stiffener batten in the center that runs from the trailer out to the center pole. That will then create a ridge line in the middle of your awning. Making the batten removable will make it easier to fold up the awning into a small bag.[/QUOTE]

Thomas, the pup tent poles that have bungies inside would work well for a batten as they will arch nicely and fold up for storage too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #8

Awning Mods

Thank you both, for your imput. Please see post above adding support to the top of the awning. Waiting on aluminum tent poles for the support of the awning. Tom
Old 11-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #9

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
We have a similar setup except, not nylon but a cheap, white poly tarp. With tarp kept taut at the rail side and front poles a foot lower than the rail, rain water runs off in the middle, between the posts and even in the downpour there is virtually no puddling.
Our poles are adjustable so, when dry, we keep the front higher.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181008_182911469_002sm.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	126044
Old 11-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas A Cronquist View Post
Thank you both, for your imput. Please see post above adding support to the top of the awning. Waiting on aluminum tent poles for the support of the awning. Tom
My apology, I missed that small, extra additional posting. My attention was focused on the DIY posting with photos. Lazy eyes and brain syndrome at work
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp