Scamp water heater bypass questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
Scamp water heater bypass questions

I just finished the annual winterization ritual. I had a water heater bypass kit installed last spring and I'm wondering: 1) was it installed properly and should there be a shut off valve installed on the heater's inlet line; 2) do I have the valves set properly; and 3) is this why I now have hot water coming out of cold water taps? The vertical picture shows the bypass kit -- the city water connection is at the top. The horizontal pic shows the valves set for winterization (correctly I hope).

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater verticle.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	126308

Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater horizontal.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	126309
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Most bypass kits use 2, 3 way valves. In your situation you need a cold water shutoff valve between the cold water input of the water heater and your cold water line T. The hot and cold valves needs to be closed and the cross over valve should be open for bypass operation. Make sure there is no pressure on the system before removing your WH drain plug. If you close your hot and cold valves with pressure on the system the WH will be pressurized even though your lines are not pressurized.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
Thanks Eddie - I appreciate your help. Looks like I still have some work to do.
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp