13' scamp or Burro ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
koy

Name: Cory-Casita
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
13' scamp or Burro ?

Hello I'm in the process of deciding which 13' "egg" that are too heavy for my towing vehicle. Is the 13' Scamp basic (no bathroom) heavier than the 13' Burro ? My towing capacity is only 2000 lb.Which 13' "egg" would be the Better for towing with my car. Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated.
koy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Try this spreadsheet. I believe it has what you seek. Good luck.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

PS, I went back and reviewed that post and some replies to it. Looks like it was last updated about 2011. I suspect there is newer.

Try using the Search function above at the very top. Then use the Site search / Google option at bottom of it. Try words like "Trailer weights in the Real World"
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This link from post 297 on page 22, contains more updated info. Thank you, Jon Vermilye, Frederick Simson, & Steve LaBroad.

http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Scamp 13

I’m a newbie as well. I have a new 13 ft scamp on order. The weight depends on what the camper has installed. The marketing says that a 13 ft scamp weighs in at 1200 - 1500 lbs empty. Mine will likely be heavier since I got the bathroom and air conditioner. Another good data point is that the scamp 13 torsion axel is rated at 2200 lbs. You probably knew all that. The only other info I can offer is something I learned from discussions on this web site and watching a few ‘You Tube’ videos. Trailer weight is only one part of the TV to trailer matching process. Toung weight and payload are also critical. Toung weight should be about 10% of the trailer weight. Also the TV payload is important. It tells you how much stuff you can have in the car. Payload may or may not include the driver. The toung weight needs to come out of the payload as well. There are other factors in the TV to camper assessment that I don’t fully understand. There also seems to be a recommendation out of some of the experienced folks here that says we need to include margin in the TV to camper analysis. One more thing I picked up; trailer brakes greatly improve safety and may be necessary. Good luck. Let us know where you end up.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Depending where you live, and more importantly, where you plan to camp, we have some serious grades and mountains here in western NC.

I had one marginal tow situation, I won't do it again. I ended up going very slow on the steepest long grades, think Saluda grade on I-26, or I-26 between Asheville and the Tennessee state line. With my marginal situation, I would end up at 29 MPH on those steep grades, making myself a hazard to other highway users, even some semi-trucks had to pass me. There also is a serious steep grade east of Asheville on I-40, along with the windy/twisty section of I-40 west of Asheville. Beautiful section of road, better done in daylight!

There is no award for towing the most with the least. And don't rely on someone else doing it. Unless you were in the passenger seat at the time, you never know what speeds and what grades others have taken. I remember one year the campout/rally at Cherokee. There were several with marginal/even less than marginal tow vehicles. Some were routed via GPS through Maggie Valley. No problem if you have enough tow vehicle, but white knuckle time if you were marginal. Several were griping about it and asking about alternate routes.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by koy View Post
Hello I'm in the process of deciding which 13' "egg" that are too heavy for my towing vehicle. Is the 13' Scamp basic (no bathroom) heavier than the 13' Burro ? My towing capacity is only 2000 lb.Which 13' "egg" would be the Better for towing with my car. Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated.
The best source for trailer weights I know is right here. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

The weights listed are for trailer loaded for camping, clothes, food, etc.etc.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suspect that the unloaded weight of a Burro may come in a little lighter than a similarly equipped Scamp. But it really comes down to what optional equipment is installed and what you carry with you. Figure 1200-1400# for an empty 13' trailer with cooktop, fridge, battery, LP tank, and not much else. Figure 300-400# for your stuff. Most people don't tow with a full water tank- it's on the wrong side of the axle.

It's not hard to keep either trailer under 2000# loaded. Whether that will give a satisfactory towing experience depends on a lot of things. Tow ratings assume a driver and not much else in the vehicle. Ratings also assume a low-profile cargo trailer. If you carry extra people, pets or gear in the vehicle, if you tow regularly in demanding conditions (mountains, high elevation, hot weather, headwinds)- you may find your vehicle marginal or unsatisfactory.

Performance expectations also come into play, and they are highly subjective. Are you willing to gear down and blend in with trucks as you climb a grade, or do you expect to keep up 55-60 mph? If loaded semis are passing you, that's a good sign that you need more tow vehicle...

With four people, bicycles, and lots of mountains, canyons, and windy conditions, we find a 3500# rated mid-sized crossover a bare minimum to tow our basic 13' Scamp.

Electric trailer brakes are essential, and not all 13'ers have them. In some cases, a whole new axle is required to add brakes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, scamp