Picked up a fixer upper 1976 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #1

Name: Wade
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Picked up a fixer upper 1976 Scamp

So... I am finally a Scamp owner. I picked up a 1976 Scamp 13 today. She’s DEFIANTLY a fixer upper but, I wanted one that was a great bargain and no frills. I’m excited to be making it my own soon. The outside has been painted a couple times and DEFINITELY is in need of some fresh paint. The previous owner was a bit artistic with it to say the least. Inside is in fair condition. The previous owner has been using it for the last 3-4 years as a guest house. So, the inside has been kept clean and somewhat neat. Definitely several things I need to do to it. I basically wanted something to get away from camping in a tent. I had new tires put on and bearings replaced for pulling it home. It pulled great and straight with no issues. I was lucky enough to find it about two hours from home. Trailer was in Texas most of its life so the frame looks good underneath with some typical surface rust and seems structurally fine. I’m guessing the axle is worn out and will replace. Floor seems solid enough even from underneath and inside on the center where you walk around. The sink cabinet area has some serious sagging and is in need of repair to make it level. This is just behind the passenger side wheel well which can see a bit of sagging of the passenger side outside and some of the fiberglass is a little mis shaped. Possibly the floor underneath? Some other structural issue? I’ll have to dig a bit to figure the exact cause to repair. I’m planning on removing the little fridge and stove top so I’ll address the sagging. I’m thinking this is the worst issue of the entire Scamp. The door is a bit loose and sloppy. Gap at the bottom of door as well. There’s a small break in the fiberglass at one of the door hinges that needs repair. One of the plexiglass windows needs replaced as it’s cracked. There is a missing outside vent where an appliance was at one point. Thinking I may mount a small A/C unit in that space. You may see some stray wires in the photos as I used some temporary trailer lights when bringing it home since I didn’t have an adapter and wanted to ensure I had working lights. Lots of things to do but, seems like a fairly solid older camper. I’m just wanting a basic inside and will always cook outside. I’ll have my mother sew up some new curtains and seat covers to match my style. Overall I’m happy and looking forward to the project. I know prices are all over the board on these and fairly happy with the price I picked it up for which was $1500. I’ve seen much rougher ones for more so, hopefully this was a fair deal for me even with needing a good amount of work. Might have paid a little much but, it was close to home so, that was nice as well and only took a little gas. Let me know your opinions. I’m in the Des Moines Iowa Area so, how much I get done over winter will depend on weather on my days off. I’ll post things as I go along and will definitely be looking for advice I’m sure. I’m excited as well as a little nervous about taking on this project. I’m looking forward to camping with it this spring and summer. I’m open for suggestions on what to do first, second, and third as seasoned veterans of the Scamp world may see there’s something that needs attention first. Thanks and looking forward to having fun. I think I’ve got some work cut out for me. My end goal is to make it somewhat off-road capable to go with my Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
E5F330B1-B434-4317-9599-5EF704D07139.jpeg   55AE99E9-8BC5-4E83-8498-44A1C0037076.jpeg  

EDE8B485-F878-4A27-9E97-3B8E3F9225BD.jpg   40326D83-1FF5-40DA-AD59-C1D10E8ACE77.jpg  

82A7D9CA-3BA9-4707-974F-75296FAE131C.jpg   C25176F6-ED74-435C-8440-2BAEA15B35F2.jpg  

E4D9CEB9-88F6-41B5-A604-4347E38CB656.jpg   17CCDE08-16CB-42E0-A58A-6CEB2A997B4C.jpg  

AA2B7F5B-E4AE-4AD7-B997-910625F1BB43.jpg   E5776219-D61F-4FBE-9EF7-23B228F6C86C.jpg  

SubmarineVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Looks like a fun project! Price seems pretty fair to me.
I will look forward to seeing the transformation.
Congrats on jumping in and getting one!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Nice find, good luck making it your own.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The first step is to prevent further damage from happening while you make repairs. Keep out the water and keep out the vermin. Those might mean making some temporary arrangements before you can get to things such as fixing the door which is obviously not keeping water and vermin out.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:54 AM   #5

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
WOW! What a life she's had thus far eh? You'll install all that's needed for a very new and exciting chapter or so...have fun with it & enjoy the fun that's coming
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #6

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The first step is to prevent further damage from happening while you make repairs. Keep out the water and keep out the vermin. Those might mean making some temporary arrangements before you can get to things such as fixing the door which is obviously not keeping water and vermin out.
Agreed. I’ll be going through it this weekend and pulling all the cushions out, digging deeper to see if there’s anything that I haven’t seen. I’m pretty sure there’s no leaks but, plan on looking very closely. Thanks
Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #7

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
WOW! What a life she's had thus far eh? You'll install all that's needed for a very new and exciting chapter or so...have fun with it & enjoy the fun that's coming
She’s definitely seen some interesting things. It’s been in a few Irish parades from the previous owner. I look forward to more adventures.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Congrats on your new trailer. I know your joy, I should I say pain? I think I'll stick with joy. I bought a derelict, similarly equipped, 16ft. Casita just prior to Thanksgiving 2017. Other than paint, I think mine was worse than yours. Over last winter I managed to get ours together just enough for my wife and I to enjoy a lot of very fun travels this past summer.

Mike
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #9

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
Congrats on your new trailer. I know your joy, I should I say pain? I think I'll stick with joy. I bought a derelict, similarly equipped, 16ft. Casita just prior to Thanksgiving 2017. Other than paint, I think mine was worse than yours. Over last winter I managed to get ours together just enough for my wife and I to enjoy a lot of very fun travels this past summer.

Mike
Will definitely be a labor of love. Let's see what yours looks like.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubmarineVeteran View Post
Will definitely be a labor of love. Let's see what yours looks like.
Here is a recent picture taken while we were boondocking at a remote beach in Northern California.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubmarineVeteran View Post
Agreed. I’ll be going through it this weekend and pulling all the cushions out, digging deeper to see if there’s anything that I haven’t seen. I’m pretty sure there’s no leaks but, plan on looking very closely. Thanks
I would almost count on leaks. Certainly the door will leak, windows are always suspect along with any old plumbing. Still it should be quite repairable.

I'd get covered storage for it while you are working on it. Even one of those cheapie Harbor Freight tarp/carports could work. I'm a fan of Carolina Carports, they build carports all over the USA, particularly in the midwest and SE.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I would almost count on leaks. Certainly the door will leak, windows are always suspect along with any old plumbing. Still it should be quite repairable.

I'd get covered storage for it while you are working on it. Even one of those cheapie Harbor Freight tarp/carports could work. I'm a fan of Carolina Carports, they build carports all over the USA, particularly in the midwest and SE.
The door will definitely leak at the bottom. But, seems to fit ok from the upper 80%. I’m expecting to need to repair some small leaks. The only reason I’m thinking there may be none or very few is it had been raining pretty good for two days as well as the night before I picked it up and couldn’t find any wet spots inside. So, I’m being hopeful. Although, I’m a realist and realize it’s old and is in disarray.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #13

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
Here is a recent picture taken while we were boondocking at a remote beach in Northern California.
Very nice! Definitely looks great! I like how you have lifted it up a bit. What did you do to gain that lift?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #14

Iowa
I went out to clean out the camper and dig a bit deeper to see how extensive the work is I’ll need to do. I knew the passenger side needed definite work on the flooring and passenger side. The floor is separated from the fiberglass wall underneath one of the seats. As well as a shoddy repair. This is where the sagging is on the camper. Also, underneath the cabinet is rotted out and needs replacing. Also the front passenger corner has some rot. The flooring elsewhere seems to be solid. I’m 300 lbs and jumped up and down all throughout. Everywhere seems solid except the whole passenger side against the fiberglass. I’m most likely just going to replace the entire flooring. The soft flooring underneath the cabinet and seat where the sagging is the worst. Also the metal structure supports that attach from the top cabinet to the counter top cabinet is not attached. I was completely aware of these when purchasing so, knew I’d have some significant repairs. Overall happy with it and thinking it’s just going to take some time and some hard work. Here are some photos. On the bright side. I’ll have a great little solid camper when I’m done with all the work. I did find a fortune inside as well. It may take me some time and money but, I have high hopes to bring this vintage camper back to a fun usable condition.
Attached Thumbnails
F005461C-C8F4-4393-B471-C9254537C23B.jpg   9E59FCBB-838B-4014-B113-D594BA31990F.jpg  

1CA2036C-CAE7-4C62-8D43-CB9A3A72786A.jpg   94B13457-1D46-44A8-AE0B-10B2B16B0FD2.jpg  

08F9D731-E94C-4C46-88F0-F90E7DDC19E2.jpg   885ED368-35BF-4633-929F-4EFC0346A1DE.jpg  

73C5538D-5FF3-49C4-9686-1EBAA1910E4F.jpg   5B1FF66A-9677-4E2D-8FA6-35D877D92078.jpg  

FECF78B8-2B1E-4DCA-A9DB-F29E4B667AA9.jpg   5257A022-9C81-4C27-942A-41F75B328535.jpg  

Old 12-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #15

Iowa
I did find a cool little octopus ceramic container 🐙. I think I may keep the sign on one of the cabinet doors. Otherwise it’s going to all be completely redone. Overall I’m happy. Now I just got to get to work. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of working on it when it’s 30 degrees outside.
Attached Thumbnails
0A090950-73F6-4E81-B231-8B07C14BFD07.jpg   8697FB87-D63E-4939-AC0B-AC6A284DE5AC.jpg  

BB02E551-3B6C-4687-8335-92F1793DD880.jpg   E12702BF-6961-4112-BA09-C9F3432FD9CC.jpg  

Old 12-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #16

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Be sure to keep and reattach those black, twisted, iron bars, they are support for the ceiling from what I understand.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #17

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Be sure to keep and reattach those black, twisted, iron bars, they are support for the ceiling from what I understand.
Yes. Thanks for pointing it out. They are supporting the roof from what I understand as well. I’ve placed some wood from the top cabinet to the counter top to support it while it’s disconnected. I also have some supports on order to support it when I repair the floor under the cabinets.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #18

Iowa
Haven’t had time to do anything to the Scamp since it’s been so cold here in Iowa. I’ve always wanted one of these cool little campers but am debating if it’s truly the right choice to pull behind my Jeep. Been tent camping all my life and beginning to think I want to continue to tent camp since I sometimes go to the places less traveled. Considering letting this cool fixer upper go to someone that can really love it.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Might be a good idea. Projects are best suited for someone with the time/tools/aptitude/indoor workspace to dig into such a project. In addition, frames on these trailers are a weakness, on the older ones moreso. Not designed for Jeep trails.

In the end, a tent can go anywhere.

Myself I love my old project. But it’s not going to save me money. It’s just something to work on.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #20

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Might be a good idea. Projects are best suited for someone with the time/tools/aptitude/indoor workspace to dig into such a project. In addition, frames on these trailers are a weakness, on the older ones moreso. Not designed for Jeep trails.

In the end, a tent can go anywhere.

Myself I love my old project. But it’s not going to save me money. It’s just something to work on.

Yeah, I’ve always been intrigued by the small fiberglass campers and think they are so cool. I’m just really realizing it not the best choice for the type of adventures I want to do. I’m prepared to take a significant loss to let someone really restore this one. I know it’s going to be a big undertaking and just don’t have the space in a small garage to do it properly. My loss will hopefully be someone’s gain. I have a small off-road trailer that I’ve had for a bit and it’s just better suited for even the forest roads. I’m not wanting to put lots of work into something and then tear it up on a rough road. Hopefully I’ll get someone that will want this old Scamp and give it the love it deserves.
Attached Thumbnails
2C9C1F6D-6412-4B35-99CB-8B3FAA7878D8.jpg  

Tags
scamp