1972 Love Bug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 72 Love Bug
Morning everyone,

I just purchased a 1972 Love Bug camper. I've been searching the internet for info on it and so far all I can find is that the company apparently went away in the early 90's. Any leads on where to look? Anybody got any info they'd like to share about this cammper?

Thanks
Scott N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Any leads on where to look?
This website can be a resource for "Orphan" (No longer in production) Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers.
I might recommend:
  1. go to the upper right corner of this page and click on "Search".
  2. In the drop down window, click on "more search options"
  3. in the new window type [b]"love bug" including the quotation marks into "search by keywords"
  4. click on "Perform The Search"

There will be a lot of topics to look through...
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Morning everyone,

I just purchased a 1972 Love Bug camper. I've been searching the internet for info on it and so far all I can find is that the company apparently went away in the early 90's. Any leads on where to look? Anybody got any info they'd like to share about this cammper?

Thanks
I once owned a 1973 LoveBug {pictured below} I was told that it was a single proprietor business in Iowa, And that production was ceased years ago, as you say{maybe even earlier}
My advice is to think of it as an early Scamp for all intents and purposes.
The molds are close enough to share most parts. The taillights being an obvious exception.
The axle on mine was a 1200# leading arm Dexter with a 4X4 brakeless hub w/1"straight spindle,{same as early Scamp} which I'm sure is the same as yours. All other stuff ... fans, appliances,etc are aftermarket, needing no "LoveBug" connection for parts or replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks. The search on the site turned up some interesting reading.

I bought this on a whim from a buddy pretty much sight unseen. He's a trustworthy guy that I've known for many years. No leaks, everything is in working order, stored under cover...and the A/C blows cold enough to hang meat. A very important factor down here in south Texas. He's delivering it to the house this evening so I'll see what I'm getting myself into. LOL But for $600 I figure I couldn't really go wrong.

Hooking up and heading out Saturday morning to my ranch for a long weekend. I figure three days of camping in it will give me some idea as to what needs work and what mods I'd like to make.

With the exception of some beach trips to South Padre, it'll mostly live at the ranch so I think she'll be christened as "El Huevo de Rancho". It should be the perfect base camp while doing ranch work and hunting.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Scott, and Congrat's on your new purchase. Please post pictures of your El Huevo de Rancho! And yea I think for $600 dollars you can't go wrong. Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Wow, you got a neat camper and it sounds like a "steal" too!

One thing I think is neat about the Love Bugs is the unique side windows they have; one big pane that tilts out at the bottom. (I've seen these a very few times on early 70's Scamps, but otherwise the only 13-ers I can remember them on are Love Bugs.)

Can't wait to see pics! Congrats

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Floyd, that is cute as a button.

Quote:
I once owned a 1973 LoveBug {pictured below} I was told that it was a single proprietor business in Iowa, And that production was ceased years ago, as you say{maybe even earlier}
My advice is to think of it as an early Scamp for all intents and purposes.
The molds are close enough to share most parts. The taillights being an obvious exception.
The axle on mine was a 1200# leading arm Dexter with a 4X4 brakeless hub w/1"straight spindle,{same as early Scamp} which I'm sure is the same as yours. All other stuff ... fans, appliances,etc are aftermarket, needing no "LoveBug" connection for parts or replacement.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Floyd, that is cute as a button.
We now have "Eggy-Sue" {the pull-it surprize}, she is a deluxe 13 with nearly every possible convenience and oak cabinets .
The LoveBug was our first fiberglass project [of about ten]
Eventhough the LoveBug was much simpler , it still holds a special place in our memories.
It also helped pay for "Eggy-Sue".
Thanks for the compliment!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #9

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Hi Scott,

Welcome to fiberglass camper ownership! A bunch of other fiberglass camper owners will be meeting at the Pine Knot Fiberglass Rally October 1-4 at Salmon Lake in Grapeland, Texas. You will have an opportunity to meet everyone as well as check out most of the campers. There may even be another Love Bug there. Here is the link on the Rallies section of this forum:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=35055

Hope to meet you there.

Nita
1997 Scamp 5th Wheel Deluxe
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Scott,

A 1972 Love bug would have been made by Tri-Fab in Tripoli, IA. They were initially contracted to make the boler American in late 71 and when that fell apart they continued making trailers under the Love Bug name in mid 1972. Shortly afterwards there was a big fire and the plant was totaled. Newspaper reports say both boler Americans and Love bugs were on the property at the time of the fire. Here is a bit of history:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=21173

Post fire the trailers were made on the owners farm, built to order. At one point of time there was a 3rd company that was involved with the marketing and sellilng of the Love Bug.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #11

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Scott-

What size is your Love Bug? My dad sold a 19 ft Love Bug that he had redone to a couple in Texas about 5 years ago. A few years later we heard that they had sold it to someone else. I was wondering if this could be the same one. Would love to see pictures.

Ellen B.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #12

Sorry for the delay, had to go on a business trip after the first camping excursion in the Love Bug.

It is a 13' model.

I got her all cleaned up and pulled her down to the property where we had a great relaxing three days of camping. It was nice to wake up and watch the sun rise on our own little piece of heaven.

Attached Thumbnails
66x4i0.jpg   25ov0rd.jpg  

Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Scott,
Comparing the shape of the body at the front window with Floyd's '73 makes me think you have a newer model than 1972.
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #14

Name: Arthur
Arizona
Love Bug info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Morning everyone,

Thanks
Joe,
I purchased a 1974 Love Bug two years ago. In talking with the owner of Scamp Trailers in Minnesota he indicated that they were made in Iowa. At one point the plant burned down and they moved to a barn for production. Since joining this site a couple of days ago I read that they were only produced for three years. The owner of Scamp indicated he didn't know why he hadn't purchased the Love Bug molds but he hadn't. I don't know how much of this is accurate or apocraphal but it is what I understand at this point.

Art Campbell, Chandler, Arizona
Arthur Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #15

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
we have a Lovebug in our collection of FGRV's
Attached Thumbnails
Retired cop car & 13' Casita.jpg  
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love bug