Bigfoot restore/updating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Sorry I don't understand your term of seating.... are you talking about the corner panels? It is a panel stapled and glued to about a 1x3 which is then stapled with about 1000 (maybe not quite that many) staples to the front and side walls. I hope that's what you meant...
Bigfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #22

Alberta
Front wall

Well it seem I have finished putting in the block insulation, and framing up the shelf in the very front of my Bigfoot. Take a look!

Also I have replaced the outside markers with new LED markers, still to be wired up. I did take note, there are NO mounting backers for any of the markers lights, front window cover. So I have added those supports.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0559[1].jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #23

Name: Nelson
British Columbia
Hi Mike, great work! I'm glad I came across this as I just gutted the front ceiling area of my 1981 17 ft Bigfoot. Lots of great info. Just a couple quick questions. I've got pinholes all over my roof too, did you use matting for these areas or just the resin? Or did you just use matting where there were a lot of pinholes? And do you do anything on the outside? Thanks!
Nelson Kootenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #24

Alberta
Good morning Nelson. I only used matting on spots that were big than pin holes, several pin holes in a small area or looked/felt weaker from flexing. Matting I found increased the thickness. I would think for just pin holes use just a couple coats of resin, mix it a little hot so it wants to dry quicker, this should help it stay up on the roof with out leaking off. After be sure to try and sand everything all even so that the foam evenly sticks up there. Hope this helps!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #25

British Columbia
Hi again Mike. I've been experimenting with a couple different glues. I was hoping to use a tube glue like liquid nails to save money but it doesn't seem to want to set, it just stays gooey.

I also tried some Proform spray adhesive (PF 528) but it gassed off, blowing a hole in the foam. Is this the same spray you're using? I'm thinking I may have laid it on a little thick for my test. Pretty pricey so if the original style pink adhesive is cheaper I might just use that. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #26

Alberta
Hi Nelson. The glue and foam seem to be the spendy part. First I used a automotive spray adhesive for headliners and what not, pro form sounds like what I used but the glue I was recommended did not eat the foam. At $17 a can it wasn't lasting long so I had to find a new option. I found this latex contact cement. Easy to work with, comes in larger quantities, roll/brush on, good working time, no VOC. So far it works likes a charm. I will try to get a picture up of this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #27

Alberta
Good morning to anyone following this. I have a bit of an update on the '81 Bigfoot. It seems the ceiling and roof work that I did I am not happy with. After I had up all the framing and insulation the roof would still not take shape, still had waveyness... To be short it was sagged out...

Here is what I did. I tore everything down that I put up. Foam, bulkheads, framing right down to the shell again. I resanded everything down and smooth and cleaned it up (again). In my second attempt to fix the roof properly I have acquired some angled aluminum strips. These strips will span crossway from wall to wall. Last night I installed some to see how it will work out. The biggest hurtle I have found the first time and second time was applying pressure from the outside down wards to get a good bond and shape the roof a bit. I came up with (what I thought) was a good idea. I put a 8foot long 2x4 on top on the roof (outside) with a 8 foot piece of foam underneath. At 8ft long the 2x4 overhangs the trailer on both sides. On each side I attached a ratchet strap and hooked on to the frame of the trailer. The straps provide the downward pressure I need when putting up the aluminum. I have braces made for the inside to put pressure upwards against the aluminum. I hope all this makes sense. I will snap some pictures when I get home for lunch. I took a quick picture of my "roof clamp" idea as I was setting it up. I will attach it to this thread. I hope this is solution the this saggy problem. Any thoughts please chime in, let me know your feelings...
Old 05-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #28

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Good morning to anyone following this. I have a bit of an update on the '81 Bigfoot. It seems the ceiling and roof work that I did I am not happy with. After I had up all the framing and insulation the roof would still not take shape, still had waveyness... To be short it was sagged out...

Here is what I did. I tore everything down that I put up. Foam, bulkheads, framing right down to the shell again. I resanded everything down and smooth and cleaned it up (again). In my second attempt to fix the roof properly I have acquired some angled aluminum strips. These strips will span crossway from wall to wall. Last night I installed some to see how it will work out. The biggest hurtle I have found the first time and second time was applying pressure from the outside down wards to get a good bond and shape the roof a bit. I came up with (what I thought) was a good idea. I put a 8foot long 2x4 on top on the roof (outside) with a 8 foot piece of foam underneath. At 8ft long the 2x4 overhangs the trailer on both sides. On each side I attached a ratchet strap and hooked on to the frame of the trailer. The straps provide the downward pressure I need when putting up the aluminum. I have braces made for the inside to put pressure upwards against the aluminum. I hope all this makes sense. I will snap some pictures when I get home for lunch. I took a quick picture of my "roof clamp" idea as I was setting it up. I will attach it to this thread. I hope this is solution the this saggy problem. Any thoughts please chime in, let me know your feelings...
Just a quick snap shop as I was setting up the "trailer clamp"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0743[1].jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #29

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
Hi Mike.
Im thinking you may need to brace it like you are doing but in more spots. Have braces on the inside and heat the inside ceiling with a heat gun.
Heat it till its hot the touch but do not burn it. you can do it in a grid pattern. and brace it as you go along.
I can not see you using light material to flatten the roof.
Ive used a heat gun to give fiber glass a shape that I needed. before on smaller projects. Good luck
Jeff
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #30

British Columbia
Hi Mike, you sure are ambitious! I'm now mostly done the belly band, and am starting to reassemble the walls. The plywood backing the belly band screws to must be the strongest glue in the camper! Wasn't fun scraping it off splinter by splinter.

I'm going to laminate the walls with a bunch of clamps and braces to my garage next to the camper. I hadn't considered the problems with the roof so thanks for posting. I'll have to try out your method and go crazy with the heat gun. It must be a race to get everything pressed together with the working time of the contact cement. Any other issues you've come across?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #31

Alberta
Just mostly that and keeping it supported while it goes together so it doesn't want to let go. Yeah the belly band wood is really in there. I am happy to say though the glue I used the first time was very hard to get the foam off again. That's a good sign!!

Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #32

Alberta
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1431540595.038761.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	83890
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1431540622.922209.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	83891

Notice on the exterior how flat the roof is now compared to the first picture. Hope this is the result

Tags
bigfoot