79 surfside floor replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
79 surfside floor replacement

Hi Surfside folks, The section of the plywood floor between the wheel wells is not anchored to the steel frame as is the rest of the plywood floor. (no steel frame under this section) To secure this small piece of plywood floor the original construction used wood screws from the underside of the trailer up into the plywood. Seemed to work for 37 years, although the screws were corroded.
Question is, what is the best way to resecure the plywood in this section? My preference is a countersunk machine screw through the plywood (from the top) and secure it on the underside with a locking nylon washer with lock tight.
Anyone have any road tested alternatives?
Thx,
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1979 Triple e / 6cyl 09 Escape
Northern Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Hi Surfside folks, The section of the plywood floor between the wheel wells is not anchored to the steel frame as is the rest of the plywood floor. (no steel frame under this section) To secure this small piece of plywood floor the original construction used wood screws from the underside of the trailer up into the plywood. Seemed to work for 37 years, although the screws were corroded.
Question is, what is the best way to resecure the plywood in this section? My preference is a countersunk machine screw through the plywood (from the top) and secure it on the underside with a locking nylon washer with lock tight.
Anyone have any road tested alternatives?
Thx,
Hi David,

I just checked mine recently. Mine's a 79 and they (perhaps a previous owner) used wide flat head philips screws from the inside through the plywood and into the frame. They are all flush with the plywood so somehow they are countersunk. I wish I had seen this before I laid down my new floor as could have taken a pick of them for you. Mine all looked good. Very little rust. I'll check under the benches and take a picture if there are any still in view and get back to you.

Ed
SurfsideEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

British Columbia
Hi Surfside Ed, thx for that info. What is securing the section of floor between your wheel wells? If you look at this section under the trailer you may see screws installed from the underside or you may see nuts securing a bolt installed from the top. I am curious how yours was installed. Yesterday I installed 8 bolts through the plywood from the top, each secured with a large washer and a nylon locking nut with lock tight. Seems to be secure but in hindsight I would have retrofitted a piece of steel under this section of floor for additional support. Thx
Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

British Columbia
Self tapping screws that i usedClick image for larger version

Name:	20170608_082207.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	107093view of underside nuts with large washers [ATTACH]107094
Attached Thumbnails
20170608_082315.jpg  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1979 Triple e / 6cyl 09 Escape
Northern Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Self tapping screws that i usedAttachment 107093view of underside nuts with large washers [ATTACH]107094
Hi David,

I took a look underneath just now and I cant see anything in that area as there is a large piece of heavy plastic sheeting over that area.

The screw in your picture looks exactly how mine is fastened down.
Attached Thumbnails
20170608_132637.jpg  
SurfsideEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside