New member, New Boler 1970 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1970 Boler
Oregon
New member, New Boler 1970

I just purchased my first Boler after watching for a deal for over a year. I restore old stepsons and have a '55 camper van that I plan to tow the Boler behind at some point.

The door on my boler was severely deformed and totally un-usable. There was about 2 gallons of water in it when I removed it! Can anyone confirm whether or not a scamp door will fit on my bowler? I see scamp still sells new doors for the old shorter trailers I just want to be certain it will fit before I throw down hundreds of dollars plus shipping on it.

I look forward to interacting with the forum here and I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

Here are a couple pictures of my boler as well as the camper I plan to tow it with. My boler loves it's new home.

J-barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:29 AM   #2

Oregon
No info with new scamp doors?
Old 10-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #3

Name: Lise
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Don't know about doors but want to say congrats on ur new toy. Any Boler would love that cozy indoor home yours has, I know mine sure would!

I think if u search the forum some folks have fashioned new doors, but hopefully the Scamp one will work for you. Maybe a call to scamp hq could give some insight. Good luck and Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-16-2016, 03:43 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Mike, I can't help you on the door either but someone will chime in soon. Your tug is GREAT and you'll get a bunch of folks wanting to check it out too. What have you done to its interior and any pics?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I doubt that the door from a different trailer will fit as each has a unique shape.

You can take a hint from this thread where a member is reforming the shape of his door by doing some kerf cuts.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post613468

But if you decide that does not work on its own then try this:

I suggest you make a template of the curve from top to bottom and of course the width as well. You will create the template working directly off the trailer to copy its shape. Then use that template to create a set of stringers covered with thin bending plywood to create a mold form onto which you can lay up some fiberglass.

Hopefully you could even reuse some of the old door by cutting it into sections and then add a new layers of fiberglass to bond it back into the correct shape using that form as a backer. You won't know if that can be done until you get the form built and try the original door against it.

But at least it looks like you have a great space to work in that is out of the weather. If you don't have the skills for the project don't worry, a jigsaw and steady hand for form building is the worst of that part of that job. Working with fiberglass is not extremely hard to do either. Patience is required
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:20 AM   #6

Name: Megan
Trailer: Scamp
Kentucky
Boler and not a Scamp?

Welcome!
I have a 1977 Scamp which was refurbished and came with it's original Scamp documents. Mine is almost identical to your Boler....Just wondering. My door was replaced by someone who worked for the airlines as a mechanic but have no other details. Good luck to you!
Megan
Megala M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I hope you haven't thrown the old door away! You can repair the door, there are various ways to do it just search for post here. I made a metal frame for mine out of conduit (hand bent) and epoxied it to the inside of the door then hand laid a new interior skin with Fiberglass mat and Bondo brand polyester resin. Fiberglass Dave gave me a great tip of putting wax paper on the outer door to use as a mold for the inner skin and the curve matched perfectly, I just had to trim it to fit then glass the edges to the inside of the door around the new frame....
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

Oregon
Update: I took a chance and ordered the new door from Scamp. Im happy to say it looks like it will work. There are some differences however. Like the later window and ratfur interior which will be coming out. The significant difference is that the new door is 3/8-1/2" narrower in width leaving more of the jam visible. I suspect they did this when they designed the new door gasket which I did order with the door. Also the bottom corners of the door are curved rather than squared off.

While i was dissappointed seeing the difference in width. I am happy to say that it appears to match the curve of the trailer and should be a suitable replacement.

Pictures to come.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have also found out while buying window replacement parts & gaskets, to go on my 79 Boler 1300, that Scamp parts "almost fit". or Not
Fortunately my RV dealer works very close with me and has no qualms about shipping parts back at no cost to me if I can not use them.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #10

Oregon
That would be nice but at $150 shipping, I would not expect Scamp or a retailer to eat that cost. Luckily I am a pretty handy guy and I can pretty much make anything "work" with enough time and modification.

I have to imagine Scamp had close to $50 just in time and materials to crate the door up for safe shipping. It was a very nice pack job.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Oh By the way, Welcome to the site and your like me 75% of all improvements and adjustments are all done by people like us who can make something out of nothing.

"I've worked for so long with so little : I can make anything out of nothing"

Had this posted on my tool box for years...

See if you can't join my rally "Spring Fling in NH" in May of 2017
Gonna be a good one.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler