'72 Cloud - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Cloud
Hello all. After lurking here the better part of a year and driving my wife up a wall with a constant email stream of links to trailers for sale she said "Find a trailer close by for X dollars and buy it". This Cloud showed up that day in the referrals. After several days wait the seller returned our call. We drove up to Forest Lake today and bought it. I'll go retrieve it on Saturday when Ive got all day to mess with it.
The trailer is in good shape for it's years. Interior and body mostly original. Missing the continental cover but, I love the taillights. The seller replaced the broken frame at some point. Heavy structural steel, drop axle on underslung leafsprings and an industrial cast 2" coupler. The extra weight bothered me some but, hey, it'll haul all the batteries I can stuff in a solar system. Amenities are minimal. Icebox, porta-potty and an unidentified 12v converter. A blank canvas for all the ideas I've picked up around here!

Bob

Attached Thumbnails
cloud1.jpg   cloud2.jpg  

cloud3.jpg   cloud4.jpg  

cloud5.jpg  
Bob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Cute! I was trying to think what made it look more "Boler-like" than a Burro or U-haul (even though it looks to have been made with the same mold), and then I saw it: The front and rear windows are curved and the body does not have the flat "snorkel mask" projections for mounting flat windows there.

Those little stalks with the clearance lights high in the back are really neat.

I can't see the converter very well, but looks-wise it reminds me of the stock 1970s Trillium converter, so you can probably get a manual for it if you want to.

Congrats!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot
Those tail lights are great!

I'd love to customize my bigfoot with those puppies!
Bill D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
I can't see the converter very well, but looks-wise it reminds me of the stock 1970s Trillium converter, so you can probably get a manual for it if you want to.

Congrats!

Raya
Thanks

The converter mounted above the fridge is toast. The other that works is back in a storage area and I couldn't get a good look at it. Likely build a drawer between the stove and fridge. Developed a fairly elaborate electrical plan when I started thinking about trailers. Intended for a 16-17 ft. but will do something with solar and flexible systems in this smaller one. May not involve the converter at all. Rather an inverter/charger. We'll see what finances allow.

Bob
Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

BOB---- is that a propane light between the overhead cupboard doors??? Hmmm interesting--- if it is, I wonder how hot it gets above.... (the reason I am curious, is that I would like one in my Scamp-Compact has one, and we got spoiled) Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
That's cool! I like the tail lights and you're goung to love those big side windows. They'll sure let in a lot of scenery.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
and congratulations on finding a super FGRV! Enjoy the customizing process and make many happy memories. Safe travels - L 'n D
Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
When I first saw it, I thought it was a UHaul, but I saw the pix in the albums. Consider sending those pix to Roger if he still manages the albums.

Nice unit.

CindyL
Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #9

Thanks, everybody, for the comments and good wishes. We'll see how my exitement lasts when I hook up tomorrow with temps in the twenties and a northwest breeze. At least I'll have a tailwind coming home.
Larry, here's a little fuzzy enlargement of the gaslamp. Haven't seen it lit. Seller says it took off a morning chill pretty quick.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
gaslamp.jpg  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Congrats Bob, that certainly is a cute trailer! I love the rear bumper on it, and the unusual dual-propane mounting on the tongue.

The gas lamp is called a "Humphrey Lamp" and is still made today. You do, however, need a glass globe in order to use it. They can be ordered on the internet. The provide a lot of light, and also serve as a heating device, just make sure you vent properly when using one, they use a lot of air.

Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Congrats Bob, that certainly is a cute trailer! I love the rear bumper on it, and the unusual dual-propane mounting on the tongue.

The gas lamp is called a "Humphrey Lamp" and is still made today. You do, however, need a glass globe in order to use it. They can be ordered on the internet. The provide a lot of light, and also serve as a heating device, just make sure you vent properly when using one, they use a lot of air.
Globes are also available on the Buddy-Mr Heater (and other parts) site also. Yup, it is a nice source of light and heat. Carrie and I found out that it seems to put out as much heat as lighting one burner on the stove- even tho the internet sites say it only produces about a thousand BTUs. Knocks the chill nicely on a cool morning. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #12

We're Home!

Rain,sleet and snow early this morning. Dried up as I drove north. Sun followed me home.

Photo of the rig at the head of Lake Pepin 20 minutes from here.

I'm gonna take a nap now!
Attached Thumbnails
home1.jpg  
Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #13

whoops
Attached Thumbnails
home1.jpg  

Tags
cloud