Anyone know how to fix a saggy roof in a Boler??? (around roof vent) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
nice work.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
we had a serious ice and snow collapse a few years ago and wound up with a saggy roof. We had also installed a FantasticFan (our opening was also in the middle) which made things worse. We braced the roof back to it's original shape, had a local shop bend 3/8" square aluminum rods to follow the roofline, with flat tabs attached to each end at an angle to fit the roof bump. They were installed width-ways across the roof on each side of the fan, and bolted through to matching tabs on the outside. We painted the outside tabs and the inside bars just don't show up.
We had our choice of installing them inside or outside. Because we are both short, we installed the bars inside to avoid having to do any fiber-glassing, but for you that would be the obvious way to go. Simple, inexpensive, work great and we've had a tremendous amount of snow this winter in southern Ontario so they've been well tested over the past four years.
Attached Thumbnails
braces attached to the bump.jpg  
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #23

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Hi I like the idea, do you have any pics of the process? Sounds like something I want to do to my Boler before I go too far with the interior.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siris View Post
I herd a lot of people with this same problem.
When I do the restorations on my bolers
I use two L shape pieces of metal and run both down each side of the bump on the boler
And than two flat pieces on ether side of the fantastic fan.
(I have the metal painted with por15 before install)
Than after they are set where I want them I fiberglass them in so 1 can't see them and 2 helps with more structure

Works great and you don't even see them after

Hope this helps
Siris
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Hi I like the idea, do you have any pics of the process? Sounds like something I want to do to my Boler before I go too far with the interior.

Rick
Siris come back! Last Activity: 08-29-2013 07:14 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #25

Registry
Ya I noticed that after I posted my reply guess I should see how old the post are before replying,

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Siris come back! Last Activity: 08-29-2013 07:14 PM
Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Ya I noticed that after I posted my reply guess I should see how old the post are before replying,

Rick
Well, we need to encourage folks to come back. IMHO there's no harm is posting to an old thread, it's just that questions asked might not be answered. But, maybe someone else can!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #27

Registry
I often wonder why people would leave and not come back. Most don't even say goodbye when the leave. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, we need to encourage folks to come back. IMHO there's no harm is posting to an old thread, it's just that questions asked might not be answered. But, maybe someone else can!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #28

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Does the trailer still have the support at the side of the kitchenette? I've seen this removed and cause sagging.
Agree check this out first we have supports on both sides of kitchen counter.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #29

Registry
Just as an aside, our kitchen cupboards do not have the side supports but they are fine. The roof supports we built are still doing the job and for $75 and someone else did all the work, I'm not about to complain. See our previous post and pics for how we dealt with the saggy roof.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #30

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
Just as an aside, our kitchen cupboards do not have the side supports but they are fine. The roof supports we built are still doing the job and for $75 and someone else did all the work, I'm not about to complain. See our previous post and pics for how we dealt with the saggy roof.

Looks like they did a great job with those supports.
It is similar to the original Boler design before they used the kitchen supports. Mine has a single bar arcing from the upper cabinets to the side closet. No roof bump in the earlier models.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile A reinforcing material

Find someone or someplace that sends or receives large-sized shipments and look at metal strapping. It can be all different sizes. ½" x .017 to 1¼" x .029. It even comes in stainless! If you ask nicely, you may even get what you need for free!

http://www.grainger.com/product/SIGNODE-Steel-Strapping-WP23207/_/N-lq3?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5A422_AS01?$smthumb$

Don't buy new. Maybe your local Grainger store can lead you to a place that uses strapping.

I have found many uses.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #32

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Looks like they did a great job with those supports.
It is similar to the original Boler design before they used the kitchen supports. Mine has a single bar arcing from the upper cabinets to the side closet. No roof bump in the earlier models.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Now that's interesting. I remember when I was asking how to support the roof on here, I couldn't find any suggestions that didn't include learning to do some fiberglass work. Then the "inside/outside" debate began and it raged on, morphing into another debate about "bumping one's head" on supports put on the inside.
Truth is, if you bump your head on our supports, then you are going to be bumping your head on the roof vent, the ceiling etc. etc. But I had no idea boler originally had such an item. As I say, thank you - very interesting.

Tags
boler