1982 Boler remodel, rebuild, restore - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #41

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Greetings all. I worked all day and got the upper cabinets mostly finished. We decided to only build an upper cabinet over the long wall and the wall above the couch. The boss thought that it would look too cluttered with the additional cabinetry. I think she's right. By the time I finished up all the work including wiring the lights it was getting dark so I snapped a couple of pics to see how it looked. We're both happy with the progress. I also made the cabinet doors and hope to hang them all tomorrow. Probably won't get much further than that. The lawn needs mowed, we have a family event Saturday afternoon and our daughter leaves for school on Sunday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408779523.766533.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	75308

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408779548.261019.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	75309

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408779574.130448.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	75310

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408779604.777104.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	75311

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #42

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
WOW! It looks fabulous. You do really nice work.
SeansmomSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #43

Ontario
Thanks for the compliment. It's a fun project but way more work than I initially thought. I read about your damaged trailer. That's too bad. Hope it all works out.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #44

Ottawa, ON
Registry
That's why I'm cruising all the forums. Looking for ideas for the rebuild. I just wish the insurance guy would come and look at it so I can get started.
Did you use special paints on the painted surfaces inside? I was looking at the mildew resistant specialty paints....
Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #45

Ontario
I haven't painted anything inside yet. It'll be next spring by the time I get out a paint brush. Lots of good info here about what type of paints to use. I'll follow the advice of others here that have already gone down that road.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #46

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Sorry, that should have read "will you use". I think I need more coffee .
Now that I see what water can do to the wood I think a water proof coating of some kind is in my future.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #47

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
It's really looking good and I bet you're having fun!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #48

Ontario
A couple of quick shots of the nearly complete upper cabinets. Just need to get some handles and build a small filler piece for the corner above the bed.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408987494.648164.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	75409

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408987515.922843.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	75410

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408987548.790854.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	75411

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408987616.882728.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	75412

I also wired a charge wire in my TV. I ran it from the battery back to the 7 pin connector. Tested ok which is good. I'm waiting for the fridge which will hopefully arrive this week and a battery separator. The separator is supposed to not allow power to go to the trailer if the TV battery is not fully charged. It's also supposed to isolate the TV battery from the trailer when parked with the ignition off to prevent any draw from the trailer. I'm not sure how it works but I looked at the instructions online and the installation seems pretty straight forward. Learning as we go.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #49

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Excellent work! Very useful cabinitry, great design. BIG THUMBS UP!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #50

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
in one of the pics of the upper front cabinets it looks like the is trim between the cabinet and the roof. is it something you found locally?
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #51

Ontario
Davis thanks for the compliment. The upper cabinets are not as tall as the originals, but obviously much wider. I think it makes the interior look larger and provides a lot more storage. My wife is 5'11" so a little more head room is appreciated.

Andrew, the trim in between the cabinets and the ceiling was purchased here.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-838.htm

I would imagine most RV parts places could get you a roll.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #52

Ontario
Finished making the filler piece for the corner of the upper cabinet above the bed. I still have to come up with something to go between the counter and the upper cabinet similar to the original support brace. I'm off work Friday so I'll poke around the Home Depot and see what I can find.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409167680.904199.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	75541

The cushions for the couch should be done tomorrow and I'll pick them up.

I got an update on my 12 volt fridge that was on back order. It should be here by Wednesday. I'm leaving for our trip on Saturday morning. Doesn't leave a lot of time to install, test, and build the cabinet face frame. That's cutting it close.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #53

Ontario
Picked up my new cushions for the front bench. I had them sewn up by the same place that made the mattress. They turned out pretty good. I would have liked the foam a bit thicker and the edge trim a different colour but I got a deal because he used some stuff he had lying around. Also my wife found the fabric for $17. So all in it was $117 for foam fabric and labour.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409241220.712665.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	75552

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409241243.384199.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	75553

Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #54

Virginia
Love the fine expertly done piping on the cushions! Professional and Well done!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #55

Ontario
1982 Boler remodel, rebuild, restore

The guy who did the cushions makes mattresses for a living so the piping is actually mattress piping which is why it's a bit bigger than I would have liked. His equipment is all mattress specific so small scale upholstery jobs are not his thing. But the price was right and I'm not complaining. I built the support between the kitchen counter and the upper cabinets today. I used a couple of metal staircase spindles from the Home Depot, cut and modified them. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Gotta head to work soon.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #56

Ontario
Quick pic of the finished support for the upper cabinet. I mounted it in the same place as the original design. Forgive the not do great photography. I take these with my iPad and less than ideal lighting.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409337993.503311.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	75585

Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #57

Ontario
New backsplash installed. One more thing off the very long list of things to do.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409493049.004789.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	75645

Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #58

Ontario
Leaving for two week road trip tomorrow. My new fridge arrived just in time to install it but not in time to trim it out. It will have to wait until we return.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409913963.313420.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	75904

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409913987.363718.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	75905

I also bought a battery isolator. It's supposed to protect the TV battery from being discharged by the trailer. I installed it and did some testing in my driveway. Looks like it works as advertised.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409914143.325499.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	75906

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409914172.931580.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	75907

If I can I'll give some updates from our journey. Perhaps a report of both the destinations and how the various aspects of the Boler rebuild are working out.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #59

Virginia
Your work is beautiful and have a great time on your road trip!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #60

Ontario
1982 Boler remodel, rebuild, restore

After two weeks on the road I've had a chance to live with and judge the modifications that I made to the Boler. I'll review them here give an opinion on some of products and equipment I've used. Perhaps it may help someone decide whether or not to spend their money on the same products.

First up. The bed. It was the first part of the build that I did. I made it about 4" wider than the original dinette setup. The extra width made a huge difference in comfort and the custom mattress was well worth the money in my opinion. We both slept great every night. I'm too old to be uncomfortable and I've spent enough nights in tents to know the value of a good nights sleep.

The Fantastic Fan. If you don't have one, get one. Three speeds, reversible, power open and close, thermostat and it will close itself if it starts to rain. Anytime we were cooking the fan was on the lowest speed on reverse and it cleared the trailer of steam and cooking odours in no time. I'm sure it will be a nice addition during the warmer weather also.

The modified kitchen setup. We extended the kitchen counter beyond its original width into the area of the front bench. The extra counter space was very handy. When camped we put the toaster oven and electric kettle there. Beneath the extended counter is a microwave.

The water tap. Instead of separate taps for city and on board water I bought a cheapo laundry tap at Home Depot. City water connection is hooked to hot tap and the cold tap connects to the pump and tank. Most places we stayed had water at the site but not all of them.

The stove top. I bought the basic Suburban two burner propane stove that is in loads of trailers. Inexpensive and works well.

The fridge. I know there is lots of talk here about which is best. Three way, two way, 12 volt etc. After much thought and lots of web searching I settled on a 12 volt fridge from Truckfridge which is based in Kentucky I believe. I purchased it from their Canadian distributor, Northern Fridge. Apparently these are common in tractor trailers. I figured the average big rig is seeing a lot more time on the road than most trailers so hopefully it will be durable. I didn't want to cut up the outside of the trailer so that pretty much eliminated the three way. Having 120 and 12 volt seems kind of redundant. I'm using a PD convertor so no shortage of 12 volt power when plugged in at a campground. When I ordered it Larry from Northern Fridge called me right away to tell me that the unit I wanted was on back order and would hopefully arrive in his warehouse in six weeks. This was seven weeks before our trip. Cutting it close but I said ok. I received a number of emails and calls from Larry keeping me updated on the projected delivery date. When it was looking like it wouldn't arrive on time Larry called and apologized offering me a full refund. I told him I would just use my electric cooler on this trip and to deliver it whenever it finally arrived. He called me again the next day to say that he was talking to a business associate who happened to have the exact fridge I was looking for. Only thing, it was last years model and it had been out of the box on display at a truck trade show. I said ok. He gave me a nice discount and shipped it for free. It arrived the day before we left. It worked like a champ the two weeks we were away. When plugged in at a campsite it hums away very quietly, it's plenty cold, when running down the road I leave it in on and it seems to run great on the charge line from my TV. I'm not sure how long it would run on battery power alone. The compressor has a Danfoss sticker on it. So far I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a 12V fridge and I would definitely recommend Northern Fridge. His customer service is top notch.

http://www.northernfridge.ca/collect...k-refrigerator

The Progressive Dynamics PD4045. Once you get by the lousy instructions and get it installed its great and the price is right. I opted to install it under our bed in the storage compartment. I was a little worried about the fan being noisy and that it would get enough air but it seems fine. I only noticed the fan running once and it's is virtually silent. It does everything it's supposed to whether on shore power, battery power or hooked to the tow vehicle. I had the microwave, toaster oven,TV and all my 12 volt lights and fridge on and it took it all in stride.

My outside connection was via a 30A Furrion power inlet. Heavy duty, marine grade so it should last and it looks good.

Storage. The bins that we use under the bed hold a huge amount of stuff, clean clothes, laundry, dry goods. I have two separate storage cabinets under the front bench. The one closest to the door holds the porta pottie and the other holds pots, pans, paper towel, water, etc etc. The closet by the front door housed all of our small stuff, soap, toothbrushes, phone, keys, flashlight, etc.

Television. I mounted a 19" TV on the closet wall on a swivel mount that allows viewing from the bed or dinette. I used the media player from my home TV so we had an endless supply of movies and TV shows to watch on those rainy nights.

The only real problem I encountered during the two weeks was with the attachment points for the upper cabinets I built. I used about 20 plywood blocks that I bonded to the fibreglass shell using construction adhesive. I then attached the front and side cabinets to these blocks. I wasn't sure how well this would hold up on the road. By the end of the trip two of the blocks had become separated from the upper part of the shell. I think I'm going to drill through the blocks and use either a small stainless steel or galvanized carriage bolt to fasten them. I don't think it would be necessary to do all 20. I may do every second one or every third one. I was hoping to keep the number of holes in the shell to a minimum.

In my tow vehicle I'm using a Blue Sea battery isolator. The installation was a snap and it seems to do everything it's supposed to.

It's unlikely we'll get out again before winter so I'm planning my next projects which include, properly installing the fridge and building a cutlery/spice drawer above it, interior paint job, filling all of the rivet holes in the shell, an exterior paint job, new axle with brakes modifying the front of the frame to get rid of the jack that bolted to the side of the frame and replacing the 32 year old 1 7/8 coupler with a 2 inch coupler. I'm not sure how much of that list will be accomplished but there's enough there to keep me out of trouble for a while.

Tags
boler