Anybody install a larger Grey Tank in a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Anybody install a larger Grey Tank in a Scamp?

Laying under my 16 footer it looks to me like the grey tank could be a lot bigger (deeper) and still provide adequate ground clearance. I am not planning on rock crawling or stump jumping* with the old Scamp. I suppose a suitable skid plate could be provided if contact with hazards was anticipated. Anyway, I was curious if anybody has added, contemplated, or investigated a larger tank.

*In the South, we don’t have lots of rocks so make do with mud and stumps for our “wheeling” activities.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would be reluctant to make it any deeper - would not want to rip it off while backing into a campsite with a sloped entrance. I actually had a campsite in a Washington State park last week- end that the entrance to the trailer pad area was far from level ;-) . Actually had someone check as I backed in that I didnt bottom out the trailer.

Found the easiest way to expand the grey water tank and keep the clearance is to use a portable 8-10 gal grey water tote.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I put a 38 gallon in my '19, but I moved a crossmember to do it. The camper is also lifted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415264965.854548.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	78421

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #4

North Florida
Thanks Jared, wow 38 that is a lot. I did bolted the axle during the swap so could add some riser blocks pretty easily. I may also go to 14" or maybe even 15" rims/tires if I get into "long terming" in the Scamp. Carol's point about a reasonably sized tote is a good one too. One could drain some off and dispose of it in a suitable discrete location as needed.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

Registry
The nice thing about using a small tote (mine is only about 8 gallons) is that you don't loose ground clearance on the trailer and it works pretty well the same as a Euro cassette tank. Simple take it and dump at the nearest public wash room. Mine came with a short garden hose so I just needed to put a new cap on the main dump valve that had a garden hose attachment on it - so I don't need to haul out the big slinky hose to drain off the grey water tank.

If your not worried about clearance, someone posted recently to Yahoos Scampers Modifications a way of storing the tote under the trailer when traveling (I think it has been posted here as well before). I saved a couple of the photos as I am considering doing the same - I keep forgetting to check if I have enough room behind my main tank to do it as I have put my slinky hose holder back there already. Hope the party who posted to Yahoo Scampers does not mind my sharing their creativity.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0013.jpg   100_0017.jpg  

100_0020.jpg  
Old 11-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

North Florida
Thanks for posting that Carol, it is very interesting. I tow with a full size pickup so would be inclined to toss it in the back of the truck though. I just had the thought that the blue tote could of course be used both for Black and Grey waste as the need arose. I will have to look around for one just the right size/capacity.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Thanks for posting that Carol, it is very interesting. I tow with a full size pickup so would be inclined to toss it in the back of the truck though. I just had the thought that the blue tote could of course be used both for Black and Grey waste as the need arose. I will have to look around for one just the right size/capacity.
Mine also stays tucked away on its side up against the front of the box of my truck - doesn't take up much room.

Yes it can indeed be used for draining off both the grey or black water. They do have in addition to the garden hose attachment that works well for draining off water only an attachment for the larger slinky hose for using with the black tank. If your going to use it often to drain the black water tank you might find it easier to use if you cut down an old slinky hose with end fittings to about 2' in length to use with the portable tote.

Tags
scamp