Battery box fill with water. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: scamp 13' standard
Washington
Registry
Battery box fill with water.

We have a 2013 Scamp with a group 27 battery. The battery box lid does not fit the battery box. The battery box is too close to the front of the trailer. The battery box lid will not slide down between the battery box and trailer. Cannot not move the battery box away from the trailer front because the battery box lid will hit the propane tanks. Does anyone else have this problem?
P.S. My battery box filled up with rain water and threw the braker on the converter. I drilled some holes on the bottom of the battery box to drain the water out of the battery box.
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I believe that the factory install is a group 24, at least my 2006 was when it was new. I suggest that you put a new battery box on the trailer and mount it so that the lid closes properly. If there's not room for a group 27 go back to a group 24.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well if it came this way from the manuf I would suggest calling them. If this is a home made mod then look for another type of cover that might fit better, or go back to what you originally had.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I ungraded to a group 27 battery a few years ago and have a PowerHouse box for it that fits between the trailer and propane tank. A tight fit but it works. Did have to change the mounting under it to get it a little bit further forward than the older smaller box that was previously on it though.
Attached Thumbnails
battery box IMG_0658.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I believe that the factory install is a group 24, at least my 2006 was when it was new. I suggest that you put a new battery box on the trailer and mount it so that the lid closes properly. If there's not room for a group 27 go back to a group 24.
Group 27 battery is now an available option on Scamps

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I upgraded to a larger battery box I had this same issue on my 1986 Scamp 13. I have 2 propane up front too. I used a heat gun to manipulate the extra wiring humps on the lid to gain some clearance. You can also use some 3M clear film attached to the gell-coat to prevent rub through. This film is available on line and is used to protect vulnerable areas on automotive paint.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Can you drill out the mounting holes with a bigger bit and move the box forward? Add some washers when remounting and you should be good to go......

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
Thank you for your replies. I have the factory battery box. I think that I will use the heat gun suggestion and move the battery box forward a little, after I call the Scamp factory. Thank you, BarCode.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Washington
Registry
I have this box all so, thank you for you photo's Carol.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had a similar problem with one of my rigs. I simply turned the lid around. There was enough slack in the wire harness to allow it to still fit and the undercut slope in the front followed the contour of the trailer, so no bumping on the coach.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I had a similar problem with one of my rigs. I simply turned the lid around. There was enough slack in the wire harness to allow it to still fit and the undercut slope in the front followed the contour of the trailer, so no bumping on the coach.
I experienced the same thing with our Scamp & changed to group 27 battery. It was easily fixed by turning the battery box top 180 degrees around..... fit like a glove.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp