Winter Boler Towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

Name: Chrissy
Trailer: 1978 boler
Colorado
Winter Boler Towing

I have to tow my Boler this winter because I am moving. Wondering if anyone has done this and has any suggestions for protecting the front of the Boler (esp front window) from getting chipped from gravel/rocks.
TimberSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Measure from the underside of back window to bottom of trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberSpirit View Post
I have to tow my Boler this winter because I am moving. Wondering if anyone has done this and has any suggestions for protecting the front of the Boler (esp front window) from getting chipped from gravel/rocks.
and from side to side and once you got that measurement go to Harbour Freight or somewhere they sell 1/8" thick rubber and have them cut it to size and only way I can see with FG trailer is glue it onto the front so when crap hits trailer does not damage and make sure your tow vehicle has good mudflaps on it.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler
Wash the underside well to get the salt off of the frame. Protect that gem

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Collins View Post
Wash the underside well to get the salt off of the frame. Protect that gem

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
If you have open end frame beams you will be surprised what comes out of them after the fact, if you have been pulling on sanded or salter roads.

If you do not have a window guard then perhaps putting some bubble wrap over the front window would work - tape it down well - be prepared to spend time after removing the tape reside though.

If you wish to stop mud and dirty road spray getting into fridge vents etc. Putting some plastic wrap on the inside of the covers will also help.

Also make sure your tires are in REALLY good condition with lots of tread.

Keep looking at highway web cams & weather forecasts and wait for a window of opportunity where you can see lots of pavement visible on the roads. Be prepared to bunker down for a day or two until they are clear.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
will use making tape over the frame ends to stop filling
Old 12-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I don't understand your question. There are rocks and gravel in the summer too, so why would driving in winter be any different. Just protect the front of the trailer the same way you would if you were traveling in the summer. If it gets salty or snowy make sure you go to a car wash.

Just drive slower in the winter to keep control and be safe.

Quote:
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
I've done the boiler towing in snow thing. Check out the pics on my page. I did nothing special to protect the front. However we immediately went to a wand wash if we had been on roads that had been salted. In the summer I take my new trillium on gravel roads. The areas that need protecting are the wheel wells and the front. I have mud flaps to prevent gravel from damaging the underside of the trailer. My secret weapon to protect the rest is old yoga mats attached with duct tape. I use the mats on the front below the belly band.
55goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
will use making tape over the frame ends to stop filling
The masking tape may come off if it gets wet. I'd cut some styrofoam to fill the ends. Cut a bit larger and press fit. There should be lots of it around in the recycling bins following XMAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I don't understand your question. There are rocks and gravel in the summer too, so why would driving in winter be any different.
The biggest difference I see is that they cover the roads with the sand and salt in winter. I don't know how it is in Colorado, but in my neck of the woods, brine is sprayed before the roads might get slippery. When precipitation starts they spread a salt sand mix, the plows only come out after 2" of snow has come down.

I'd be tempted to check if any vehicle wrap places might have scraps that you could temporarily cover the front with. Most of the spray will be below the belly band across the front and about a foot or so back on the sides. See if they have any misprints, cancelled orders whatever. The stuff is designed to be removed.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I can certainly understand the front window being covered but that should be done when ever towing. Guess I'm missing something here as these are fiberglass units. Can't see road salt doing any damage to it. Hosing down the frame and axle is a good idea. I used to do that to my cars when I lived in snow country. I don't recall ever taping, wrapping or covering up anything because of road conditions but then it may help keep the f/g pieces in place if you should put it in a ditch . YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In our area the state highway department used to use "cinders" (crushed volcanic rock) to treat roads during winter weather events. It was good for not causing corrosion, but hard on windshields, headlights, and lower paint surfaces. A new windshield was almost an annual ritual every spring. The state switched to salt spray a number of years ago on main roads, but some local jurisdictions still use cinders on side roads.

I kind of wondered if the OP had in mind something of that kind.

Much as I hate road salt, the number of accidents and injuries caused by snow and ice decreased dramatically after the switch.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post

The biggest difference I see is that they cover the roads with the sand and salt in winter. I don't know how it is in Colorado, but in my neck of the woods, brine is sprayed before the roads might get slippery. When precipitation starts they spread a salt sand mix, the plows only come out after 2" of snow has come down.
I drive across BC a few times each winter from Vancouver to Banff National Park and it is interesting to see as you go through various parts of the province what the practises are for snow and ice.

Some sections of highways in BC they just use rock salt, others they use sand (with lots of pretty big rocks mixed into it & at least one rock chip per trip in the windshield is a given), some areas use a spray brine solution, while others use nothing and its every man for himself driving on several inches of ice!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
One day I'll make it out to BC. But after watching a few seasons of Highway Thru Hell, a summer trip is more to my style of safety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Thru_Hell
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
One day I'll make it out to BC. But after watching a few seasons of Highway Thru Hell, a summer trip is more to my style of safety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Thru_Hell
Yup it can get a little crazy driving across BC in the winter months. Always have food and a sleeping bag in the car and do not let the gas tank run to low, in case you find yourself having to sleep in it, due to an avalanche or a big crash... has happen more than once.

The semi trucks go FAST & in my opinion way to fast for the conditions at times so its pretty common to see at least a few good wreaks on a 10 hour drive.

On my trip home from Lake Louise Alberta to Vancouver on Dec 17th it was a nice clear day and the roads where for the most part clear although compact snow/ice on some stretches which is common for most of the winter..... over all I would call it a pretty easy stress free drive home, even though we passed no less than 8 semi-truck crashes & the Highway from Hell crew were out trying to retrieve them. Pretty common for them to just leave the turned over semi's for a day or two until conditions improve to retrieve them. I understand there had been a fairly heavy snow fall the night prior for a few hours.

Having said all that it is an amazingly beautiful drive in winter that you can never grow tired of.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just follow the signs.
Coquihalla Summit. Highway was bare and mostly dry today.
Attached Thumbnails
Coquihalla summit.jpg  
Old 12-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #15

Registry
I find it interesting that the show has named the Coq the highway to hell. Yup it can turn ugly but in my inexperience the section between Revelstock and Golden BC is far more deserving of that name far more frequently than the Coq is.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #16

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
Why not tow your Boler on this road... no snow, but Holy Crap!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #17

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
I don't see any referençe to low temperatures in the conversation. Is it because it's not an issue? Might pick up my "new to me"* Boler tomorrow and the forecast is -19'C. Anything that should prevent me from picking ot up three hours away if the roads are fairly dry?

*PS: I had never notice this expression before reading in this Forum! :-)
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
I don't see any referençe to low temperatures in the conversation. Is it because it's not an issue? Might pick up my "new to me"* Boler tomorrow and the forecast is -19'C. Anything that should prevent me from picking ot up three hours away if the roads are fairly dry?

*PS: I had never notice this expression before reading in this Forum! :-)
Tire Pressure! Check it before towing. Cold weather results in drops in tire pressure and towing with under inflated tires can lead to a blow out, especially if the tires are old and tired.

Tags
boler