Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle)

I've seen the Scamp, I know of a Escape 5.0 for sale. Other than the RX queen in the Escape how do these compare?
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp builds two different models of the 5er... side or front bath. All Escape 5ers are side bath models with stairs to the loft. The side bath Scamp, you need to step on the front gaucho to get into the loft or self-modify for stairs.

Do you know what options are on the Escape? It's possible it was purchased with dual-pane windows which Scamp doesn't offer. And all exterior and interior LEDs.

Comparing the two is apples to oranges. Other than they both have loft beds, the differences can be huge. As much as I love my Scamp (and I DO), the build quality on my 5.0TA is excellent when compared to the Scamp.

It really gets down to what you want/need and how much you're willing to pay.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Georgia
thanks Donna - 'preciate the voice of experience
Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamp builds two different models of the 5er... side or front bath. All Escape 5ers are side bath models with stairs to the loft. The side bath Scamp, you need to step on the front gaucho to get into the loft or self-modify for stairs.

Do you know what options are on the Escape? It's possible it was purchased with dual-pane windows which Scamp doesn't offer. And all exterior and interior LEDs.

Comparing the two is apples to oranges. Other than they both have loft beds, the differences can be huge. As much as I love my Scamp (and I DO), the build quality on my 5.0TA is excellent when compared to the Scamp.

It really gets down to what you want/need and how much you're willing to pay.
The front bath Scamp has stairs. To compare build quality one must compare the Deluxe Scamp to the Escape.
The Escape is larger.
Hoi Polloi opinions are of course irrelevant here, but either should last a lifetime with very little attention. We sometimes forget the quality and value of Fiberglass RVs. Both are gorgeous.
My Scamp is about as old as the oldest Escape and has needed no more repairs than the best Escape of the same age and has comparable fit and finish.
If you like the single axle 5.0, you must get it used or go larger.
They still make the Scamp19D.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not sensing budget is a primary consideration here, but you can find a used Scamp 19S for a lot less than a used Escape. And a used19D, which as Floyd says, is closer in features and build quality to an Escape, can be had for under $20K.

Some of the differences are found under the loft. Scamp uses a ball coupler, while Escape uses a king pin set-up. Now that Scamp has partnered with Reese to offer a removable bed mount, there isn't much functional difference (other than weight). Scamp hangs the propane tanks and battery out in full view; Escape hides them in compartments for a cleaner under-loft appearance.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #6

Georgia
Thanks all - the Scamp I looked at was in excellent shape and all of my RV experience has been with mass produced crapque. The loft bed is just too small. I'm going to order a Escape. I just can't figure out a) new 5.0, b) new 19 or 3) used old style 5.0
Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
At one time we had a Scamp 19 on order (and then cancelled it); we currently have an Escape 5.0. There is more difference in the sleeping areas than just the queen bed. If you get the front bath Scamp (necessary for my height, 6'1") the sleeping area is fully walled in on all four sides except for the narrow opening for the stairs. Claustrophobic folks, beware. If you get the side bath Scamp the bed area is open but headroom in the bath is tight.

Except for a few mostly little things, the other difference that stands out for me is the effort to hitch up. The Escape has an electric landing gear (actually two electric tongue jacks). Back when we shopped, the Scamp had a manual crank that took forever to extend and retract the landing gear. Maybe that has changed now.

They are both good trailers. Personal preference can help a lot with your decision.

Edit: It looks like you already made your decision a few minutes before I could post. Oh well, I tried.

BTW, if you can wait until February, I know where you can get a nice used 5.0.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
At one time we had a Scamp 19 on order (and then cancelled it); we currently have an Escape 5.0. There is more difference in the sleeping areas than just the queen bed. If you get the front bath Scamp (necessary for my height, 6'1") the sleeping area is fully walled in on all four sides except for the narrow opening for the stairs. Claustrophobic folks, beware. If you get the side bath Scamp the bed area is open but headroom in the bath is tight.

Except for a few mostly little things, the other difference that stands out for me is the effort to hitch up. The Escape has an electric landing gear (actually two electric tongue jacks). Back when we shopped, the Scamp had a manual crank that took forever to extend and retract the landing gear. Maybe that has changed now.

They are both good trailers. Personal preference can help a lot with your decision.

Edit: It looks like you already made your decision a few minutes before I could post. Oh well, I tried.

BTW, if you can wait until February, I know where you can get a nice used 5.0.
For those who do not suffer from an anxiety disorder, the front bath Scamp19 offers a cozy retreat and privacy, especially if you share the trailer with others, or prefer to have the "bedroom" out of sight.
It also is nice when one person wants to sleep and the other wants stay up and watch a movie.
I understand that Scamp now offers power landing gear, but I haven't confirmed that.
Curious...
Apparently you have decided to sell your 5.0. It looks like a very nice choice. Why sell? What are you planning to replace it with?
Old 12-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Floyd, you're right, in that situation the Scamp would be great. I have heard of folks installing a curtain across the bedroom entryway for privacy in the 5.0 but I like your idea. I can see curling up with a book there on a cold gray afternoon.

My wife has problems climbing the stairs to the loft so we have an Escape 21 (bumper pull) on order.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I suppose I should chime in since I owned a Scamp 19 and sold it after 3 years of frustrating and excessive maintenance problems that quite frankly I should not have had to endure if Scamp had used due care in constructing the trailer in the first place (leaking Fantastic Fans (2), cracked fiberglass in the loft, a12v light not connected to power). That's not to mention a leak in the bathroom (toilet connection leaking from the get go), a failed converter, and a misaligned axle which wore out a tire within 3,000 miles. And lots of discomfort when camping because foam cushions do not a mattress make. I now have an Escape 5.0TA which is everything my Scamp could never hope to be. If something were to happen to it and every fiberglass trailer manufacturer were to go out of business except for Scamp and if I still wanted an RV, I would buy a "stickie." I understand many people love their Scamps; I hated mine. Of the 5 camping trailers I have owned over a 35 year period, it was the absolute worst. And although it had nothing to do with the trailer, I was not at all happy with the half-assed, UNSAFE hitch installation they did when I took delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I suppose I should chime in since I owned a Scamp 19 and sold it after 3 years of frustrating and excessive maintenance problems that quite frankly I should not have had to endure if Scamp had used due care in constructing the trailer in the first place (leaking Fantastic Fans (2), cracked fiberglass in the loft, a12v light not connected to power). That's not to mention a leak in the bathroom (toilet connection leaking from the get go), a failed converter, and a misaligned axle which wore out a tire within 3,000 miles. And lots of discomfort when camping because foam cushions do not a mattress make. I now have an Escape 5.0TA which is everything my Scamp could never hope to be. If something were to happen to it and every fiberglass trailer manufacturer were to go out of business except for Scamp and if I still wanted an RV, I would buy a "stickie." I understand many people love their Scamps; I hated mine. Of the 5 camping trailers I have owned over a 35 year period, it was the absolute worst. And although it had nothing to do with the trailer, I was not at all happy with the half-assed, UNSAFE hitch installation they did when I took delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Other than that, how did you like it?
Have you heard any complaints from the guy in Ohio who bought it from you?(pre-diatribe of course)

Just about every fiberglass trailer manufacturer HAS gone out of business except for Scamp... while they just go on building the best value in the industry. Check out the home page on this site!

But really... I hope you have an ownership experience with your new Escape which comes close to matching mine with my Scamp and we hope to see you at the Sebring ScampCamp.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I like everything I've read about the Escape 5.0
Old 12-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
In terms of quality comparisons between Scamp and Escape I have experienced a VAST difference. We previously owned a 16 Scamp Deluxe and my experience bore far too many similarities to what Carl described above.

Dealing with Reace and Tammy at Escape, living with (and loving) our 17B Escape since 2010 has been completely the opposite; a fun, greatly enjoyable experience.

Perhaps Carl and I just got unlucky with our Scamps and Floyd's experience is more typical, I can only say how it has gone for me with the 2 brands.
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Thompson View Post
In terms of quality comparisons between Scamp and Escape I have experienced a VAST difference. We previously owned a 16 Scamp Deluxe and my experience bore far too many similarities to what Carl described above.

Dealing with Reace and Tammy at Escape, living with (and loving) our 17B Escape since 2010 has been completely the opposite; a fun, greatly enjoyable experience.

Perhaps Carl and I just got unlucky with our Scamps and Floyd's experience is more typical, I can only say how it has gone for me with the 2 brands.
Well, I have seen brand new Escapes with broken taillight wiring,and other problems, and have heard of several broken or cracked frames.
September 22, 2015

To Whom it May Concern,

Escape Trailer Industries is announcing a recall on the trailer frames manufactured for the 15’, 17’, and 19’ Escape Travel Trailers between 2009 and 2014. This recall pertains to all 3” frames with a welded joint where the A-frame meets the chassis rails. (Please see Fig A.)

CONCERN
Certain trailer frames may have been manufactured with a weak weld at the joint where the A-frame joins to the chassis rails. Prolonged flexing on a weak joint can cause a failure at this point.

The point is that almost none of the above seems to make the forum, and what little does is never escalated to hyperbole.
These are both fine trailers, and what IMO is a one sided reputation assassination is unwarranted.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I made comments based on my experiences and if you will notice I said I can only "say how it has gone for me with the 2 brands" and also that my experience may not be typical. I fail to see how reporting my own experience can be "reputation assassination" - but that's surely your right to believe that. Lesson learned by me on the workings here - whew
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Conspiracy, you think, Floyd?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Conspiracy, you think, Floyd?
If I had thought for a moment that a conspiracy was involved I would have said so.
The fact is that it has to do with the fundamental nature of human social structures. Its a bit complex, but easily understood by any child who has faced a bully on the playground.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You've lost me.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Thompson View Post
I made comments based on my experiences and if you will notice I said I can only "say how it has gone for me with the 2 brands" and also that my experience may not be typical. I fail to see how reporting my own experience can be "reputation assassination" - but that's surely your right to believe that. Lesson learned by me on the workings here - whew
I see that you are a "junior member" here, so jumping to that invalid conclusion is understandable. My comment was not aimed specifically at your comment...Your opinion is both valid and welcomed.
What you have missed is the crescendo of unwarranted hyperbole over time.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You've lost me.
Sorry.

Tags
axle, escape, scamp