Ford Escape and Scamp 13: Is Class II hitch ok? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Towing a Scamp 13 ft. No air conditioner or .
e.

Not sure if the Escape will commonly have a tow package, don't find instructions for Escape brake controller hookup to factory plug on E Trailer web site. If in the used market it is unlikely you will find that option. Tow package would generally be a pre-wired plug for a brake controller, trans cooler, fuse box location for trailer battery charge line, possibly larger amp alternator..
You describe a tow package more common for a full sized pick-up.
Fact is, on smaller vehicles it will more likely be a 4-plug and maybe an oil cooler.

On the Escape before 2012 , you got a 4-plug and a tranny cooler and a classII hitch. Battery charge and electric brakes and anything else will be aftermarket.
In order to add towing to one without the package, an interface box must be added for DOT trailer lighting.
All Escapes (package or not) come with a 150A alternator.

The new Escape towing package comes with an ABS related anti sway program for those who want the Greyhound approach to driving!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

..... In order to add towing to one without the package, an interface box must be added for DOT trailer lighting. ....
I forgot that piece, which is surprising since the one I replaced this summer is sitting next to my desk on a file cabinet.

The "smart" wires and/or combined circuits of many cars tail lights has to be converted for trailer use. I think that would be the interface box Floyd mentions.

My old one has inputs labeled left turn/stop and right turn/stop, because the vehicle uses one wire for each side turn/stop lights. The outputs are separated into left turn, right turn and stop wire.

All I can say is it pays to have this properly installed with good connections (not piercing clips) and using a good quality converting box. When mine failed it disabled the brake lights for the vehicle. Contacts and wire corroded from the poor job done connecting it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I forgot that piece, which is surprising since the one I replaced this summer is sitting next to my desk on a file cabinet.

The "smart" wires and/or combined circuits of many cars tail lights has to be converted for trailer use. I think that would be the interface box Floyd mentions.

My old one has inputs labeled left turn/stop and right turn/stop, because the vehicle uses one wire for each side turn/stop lights. The outputs are separated into left turn, right turn and stop wire.

All I can say is it pays to have this properly installed with good connections (not piercing clips) and using a good quality converting box. When mine failed it disabled the brake lights for the vehicle. Contacts and wire corroded from the poor job done connecting it.
I would have to remove my taillight to see the brand, but I finally found a good one which is twice as strong as the first two I bought.
It uses no scotchlocks or wiring cutting. You simply supply one power line from the battery, then the rest is plug and play.
I'll try to look tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Another option would be the new Jeep Cherokee V6 with towing package.. 4500 lbs, oil and transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator and dual 7/4 wiring harness

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
If you check Consumer Reports you might not want the low rated "Jeep" products. It is your money spend it wisely!

Every Jeep product I owned was one problem after another...all small stuff but a real pain spending my time at the dealer service department getting bandaids put on all those little problems....it drove me crazy.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #26

New Brunswick
Hmmm 2014 Canadian SUV of the year.. Some people get good ones others not so lucky.. Escapes are selling in great numbers despite numerous recalls.. Both are good vehicles for small fiberglass rvs

Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Hmmm 2014 Canadian SUV of the year.. Some people get good ones others not so lucky.. Escapes are selling in great numbers despite numerous recalls.. Both are good vehicles for small fiberglass rvs

The OP expressed an interest in a used Escape. The previous generation Escape has had only one minor recall of which I am aware. Haven't bothered to respond just yet.
My Ranger had a recall 12 years ago, some day I might even take IT in!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #28
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
For what it's worth I do own the 2014 Jeep and almost a year later I feel it was money spent wisely. In fact the vehicle it replaced was our 2008 Ford Escape which was the most unreliable vehicle I had ever owned (yes I did buy it new). I am still a big fan of Ford. I love my Mustang as much as I do the Cherokee!
YMMV
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #29

New Brunswick
Yes clearly the question has been answered. A Ford Escape can certainly tow and the trailer Hitch is fine. The new generation Escape is now in its third model year and are starting to show up on the used lots. make sure to get the 2.0 ecoboost to get the 3500 pound tow rating if you go for new generation model

Old 11-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #30

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
For whatever reason, on the new generation 2.0L Ecoboost Escapes, the 3500 lb tow rating is only specified for the factory tow package. On page 197 of the owners manual, it only lists a 2000 lb tow rating for aftermarket tow packages. Don't ask me why and please don't shoot the messenger.
I have the 2014 Escape with the factory tow package and was a bit surprised to read that in the manual. 😱

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #31

New Brunswick
Same with Cherokee.. Must be V6 with factory tow package to get 4500 lb tow capacity

Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have looked at used prices of the new generation Ford Escapes, and they appear to have depreciated more rapidly than the other vehicles of same age that I've looked at (mainly Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander). I have seen 2012 Escapes with 2L Ecoboost and fairly low miles (25k to 35k) priced at less than 75% of new. I think this is a good buy on the used market.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have looked at used prices of the new generation Ford Escapes, and they appear to have depreciated more rapidly than the other vehicles of same age that I've looked at (mainly Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander). I have seen 2012 Escapes with 2L Ecoboost and fairly low miles (25k to 35k) priced at less than 75% of new. I think this is a good buy on the used market.
That's not bad depreciation, you should never pay 80% of list for a new one.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #34

North Carolina
"List Price" is only the starting point in the negoations...no one ever pays list.

The only real purpose served by the window sticker is to list all the standard equipment and options installed at the factory. Always keep that window sticker with the vehicle. Law in most states is that the dealer must give it to you when it is delivered new. Dealers are forbidden by law from tampering with this document in any way!!! buyer beware!!!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #35

New Brunswick
1. new generation Escape was a 2013 model
2.Why in the world would you keep the window sticker for your vehicle?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
1. new generation Escape was a 2013 model
2.Why in the world would you keep the window sticker for your vehicle?

I think the post is more about the window sticker should be there. It is the "official" list of equipment the manufacturer provided. Not that you would want to keep it, just beware if it is missing.

I would have loved to have seen that sticker for my commuter Pontiac Sunfire GT because I know that there is no such thing as a 4 door GT model and it does not have the larger GT engine. It does have the GT decals.

I know the original owner, a 90 year old gentleman that I'm pretty sure would not be putting "sport" decals on the car. Man did not believe in power accessories such as windows or mirrors, considering it just frilly expensive stuff to break (I tend to agree).

His daughter owned the car after him and she did not put the decals on it. So.... Who put the up market decals on the car? That window sticker would have stated what the manufacturer designated for the car. Which would have clarified if the dealer added decals to up market the car. Or if they just made a mistake on the assembly line.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I don't pay list price for new cars, either. My point simply was using list price as a comparison point for the used vehicle prices. The other vehicles I mentioned, with similar miles and age, tend to be priced in the range of 80%-87% of list price. Thus my conclusion that the 2012 Escapes are a relatively good buy because they've already taken a larger depreciation hit percentage-wise.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I don't pay list price for new cars, either. My point simply was using list price as a comparison point for the used vehicle prices. The other vehicles I mentioned, with similar miles and age, tend to be priced in the range of 80%-87% of list price. Thus my conclusion that the 2012 Escapes are a relatively good buy because they've already taken a larger depreciation hit percentage-wise.
I'm saying that the reason for that is that those other vehicles tend to sell much closer to list than the Escape when new.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #39

North Carolina
Why keep the original window sticker from your new car?? Simple: when you sell your vehicle down the road the buyer might want to see what the factory installed...like the tow package etc.
Just one more selling point.
Some dealers, using your vin number, can get a computer printed listing of the original factory sticker and how the vehicle was equipped when it left the factory.
I know that Toyota does this for used cars made by Toyota.

It is far too easy for a seller to claim something is factory installed when it is not.

GM is famous for assembling Vehicles with "mix and non-matching parts from other models or divisions....i have seen this more than once...low quality control.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #40
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I keep the window sticker and the sales brochure if I get one. They go in the folder along with the maintenance records. If I sell privately they go to the buyer. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, scamp