Towing Double With a Scamp 19 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I can't say that just because it has a place for a license plate is any suggestion that it can be treated as an "extension" of a trailer simply by moving the plate to that location. That's no different than any trailer I have ever seen and what is required to tow one behind a standard vehicle in most (if not all) states. Even a simple Tow Dolly requires a separate plate in most states.

And he isn't really saying that it allows using it in a state that doesn't allow triple towing either. If the manufacturer really believed that, they would have gathered up the necessary DMV regulations to use as a sales tool. Or at least warrant that feature for selected states where it was known to be accepted. And, what 5th wheel owner wouldn't want to know the states into which they could tow without risking a citation?

Here's a link, but don't miss the set up that has someone towing a pick-up truck behind an Idaho Tote that is attached to a Class "A" motorhome.

Idaho Tote

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #42

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The Idaho Tote sure is an interesting idea. If I see it somewhere I want to take a close look at the undercarriage and how it is made to follow both forward and reverse. The difference that I see here, and it is a huge one in terms of dynamics of towing, is that it is attached at two points, instead of one, not like normal trailers and dollies. My Scamp frame sure would not be strong enough to handle something like it, and they would probably tell me that much. There is probably a neat little disclaimer in the sales contract to protect them from frivolous suits. Who is to say how safe is it in use? Probably as safe as pretty much anything else on the highway. Less than 100%. Just my .02%
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #43

Trailer: Boler 1984
Something to think about! A his and hers maybe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1424213115.649083.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	80530

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp