Which is more prevalent, Scamp or Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #21

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboyscamp View Post
Scamps outsell Casitas by big numbers. 400-500 Scamps sold annually, and a 4 - 5 month back log to even get one.
How many Casitas are sold annually? I'm curious.

Last year I contacted both Scamp and Casita and the delivery was about the same. 3 months for both of them.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
West Coast Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Which brand has higher numbers I don't know. But East of the Mississippi, I hardly ever see any. Owners numbers are one thing, those out and using is another.

Do you think that folks out West are using their Eggs more?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at this mornings news reports:

Boston, A bit of Snow?
Los Angeles: 80 degrees and that's at the beach. Up to 90 inland.

When an area basically has 12 months of RV weather they are sure to be a much bigger market for them.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Which is more prevalent, Scamp or Casita

True, true. We are spending a few days in our Scamp at Lost Dutchman SP east of Phoenix this week: 80 degrees with a nice NW breeze. 😎
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1423697006.138091.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	80387

Tally so far:
Casita: 2 (both 17s)
Scamp: 1 (us!).
All other FG: 0
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
.... Everybody agrees that they are built better and that is worth more money.....

Steve
Soon to own a 17' SD
Who is everybody.. We have owned both brands new and can't say I agree with that.. They are built different and each has there own style.
As far as total numbers over the years that would be tough to figure.. Casita probably has double the production of Scamp in any given year.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I tend to think you are comparing apples, oranges, bananas, etc. when trying to compare the molded fiberglass trailers. All just different enough to make the decision a little harder than one might think if you are really comparing them. It comes down to budget, personal preferences, whether you go with your own thoughts or follow a crowd. Location really plays into it too and I think Casita has location over the others being located in TX. Scamp is a classic but MN is really off the beaten path for most people. Choices are good.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
...Location really plays into it too and I think Casita has location over the others being located in TX. Scamp is a classic but MN is really off the beaten path for most people. Choices are good.
Of course, if you live in the NW, then Escape becomes the obvious choice. Actually, it is the obvious choice for many who live even further away than that.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Of course, if you live in the NW, then Escape becomes the obvious choice. Actually, it is the obvious choice for many who live even further away than that.
Anyone have a number on how many Escapes are produced each year? With the bigger units and higher price tags, they are pretty much competing with Oliver at this point.

Scamp has a lot of appeal to those with limited towing capability yet another thing people consider.

For those looking for used, I wouldn't rule out any of the units that meet your budget and your ability to get there and look it over in a timely fashion.

Isn't this trailer debate so much like the "Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc." debate?
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you think the Scamp 16 OR the Casita 17 with the right floor plan would fit your needs why pick only one to "look for"?

Look for both because it does not matter which brand is more common since you only need to find one and either one would work.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Curious why you leave out a Casita 16'? Is it the height? I agree with Cathy and Roger: when shopping used, the more options you leave on the table, the more likely you are to score.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #30

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
I have been somewhat surprised that even here in Scamp's home state I've seen more Casita's on the road (and campgrounds) then Scamps.
Makes me wonder if we even live in the same state. In total I may have seen four Casita's in my lifetime and never have seen one in a campground. OTOH, we see Scamps literally every time we travel. Our Casita is only the second one I've ever been in. I do like our 17' Casita SD better than our 16' Scamp SB, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Of course, now that I've written this I'll see Casita's all over MN.

We will try to make the FG ralley at Mille Lacs Kathio SP on May 1-2 this year and the one by Lanesboro at the end of May.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Perry, Part of the issue relates to their distribution methods, only available from the factory. In Texas you see more Casitas.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #32

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Perry, Part of the issue relates to their distribution methods, only available from the factory. In Texas you see more Casitas.
Yes, I understand that, but Randy and I were talking about Minnesota.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

I can tell you this for sure, a Casita will command a substantially higher price than a comparable year, size and condition Scamp.
Can't say for where you live, but that's simply not so here in the U.S.
In fact even the Casita factory only wants to sell the 17 footer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #34

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I know Perry, I'm sure there are way more Scamps in the state but this was my observation over the last year . We saw 3 Casitas on our last trip in October alone. Two at Bear Head Lake State Park and one at Fall Lake Campground near Ely. Including ours, there were at least four in the area that weekend.

I only saw one Scamp, a 5th wheel, on our way out of town.

I realize this means very little but it was surprising to us.

Happy trails!
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I think the only way to make a decision is to go and sit in each one of them and imagine how you wold camp in them. Pictures can never give you the big picture.

At the large fiberglass trailer meet held in Bandon Oregon each year, as well as ones held further north the number of Escape's in attendants has in recent years quickly outpacing the number of Casita's in regards to numbers. Scamp is taking a distant 3rd in numbers - which is a big change from just 7 years ago.

While on an 8 week trip a couple of winters ago into S. Arizona and Calf. I saw out camping or passed on the road more Escapes than the total of other brands of fiberglass trailers combined.
We have camped in Florida ,Georgia, Mississipp ,Arkansas ,Missouri , South Carolina ,Illinois ,Ontario , New York ,Michigan ,Wisconsin ,Minnesota ,Iowa ,Alabama ,Manitoba ,Tennessee and Texas over the last 3 years.We have seen exactly "ONE " Escape . We see more Scamps in the North and more Casitas in the South. From where we live the Scamp factory is 180 miles away Casita is 1100 miles and Escape is over 1800 miles . It appears to me that regional loyalties and location have some influence on what people purchase
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It appears to me that regional loyalties and location have some influence on what people purchase
I think you're right Steve. I live six hours from the Escape factory. It was an easy choice. I'd rather put the $$ into the trailer rather than the trip (motel/fuel) in picking up a trailer many, many miles away. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"I think that you see more high end trailers is because the owners are retired, spending their savings and traveling more. The rest of us are still working buying cheaper used equipment and they are just sitting around in back yards and storage lots waiting for us to schedule a precious few days a year to escape the rat race. We are also into the avalanche of baby boomers retiring."

Over our 14 years of extensive traveling we are seeing fewer people traveling for long periods.

I don't see many people traveling in for extended periods. Definitely the most popular RVs for extended travel are Motor homes and large 5th wheels. Escapees with over 100,000 members, a group of mostly full timers, is composed of mostly 5th wheels and motor homes.

We have been to a number of rallies and the number of high end fiberglass trailers are percentage wise, extremely small.

"I can tell you this for sure, a Casita will command a substantially higher price than a comparable year, size and condition Scamp."

In general all fiberglass trailers hold their value. We paid $6,000 for a 20 year old Scamp 16. We were offered a Casita 16 for a similar price. Both rigs in good condition.

Scamps and Casitas are so much alike you would think both factories were started by brothers and were located literally next door to each other at one time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #38

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up lol dodge

[QUOTE=Cathy P.;504385]Anyone have a number on how many Escapes are produced each year? With the bigger units and higher price tags, they are pretty much competing with Oliver at this point.

Scamp has a lot of appeal to those with limited towing capability yet another thing people consider.

For those looking for used, I wouldn't rule out any of the units that meet your budget and your ability to get there and look it over in a timely fashion.

Isn't this trailer debate so much like the "Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc." debate

i like dodge my boy ford my dauther chev
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #39

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry

[QUOTE=MRClaus;506712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Anyone have a number on how many Escapes are produced each year? With the bigger units and higher price tags, they are pretty much competing with Oliver at this point.

Escape produced its 1000th trailer in the latter part of 2014 - a 5.0TA that went to California. Mine is number 1056 I believe. Just an estimate but based on how busy they were when I visited, they're running at full capacity and probably produce around 160-170 trailers per year.

I don't think of Escape as a competitor for Oliver. I think an Oliver is the Fiberglass alternative to an Airstream if you want to compare. With the recent drop of the CAD to the USD, I consider the price we paid for our loaded 19 a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #40

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
In late April the Bluebonnet Rally will be held in Bandera, Texas. There will be 120 trailers in attendance. 100 of those will be Casitas. There may be more Escapes than Scamps. That seems to support the regional theory.

Tags
casita, scamp