New to trailer world - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: gallagher
Trailer: looking/researching
Pennsylvania
New to trailer world

Thou, I have camped and lived a gypsy life a couple of times in my life(weekender) I am looking to do at least 6 months or yearly if I can in 2007 4dr cab 4x4 toyota tocoma. Love this truck! Does anyone tow with this type of truck? I am also looking into an egg camper and from reading info and pics it seems this type of trailer would suite my needs the best. Easy to clean also..... I think!
I live in Philly and before I travel to MI to purchase new one. I would like to meet egg owners and also find out more info and maybe take a trip to see your egg. Thanks all,,,, and any info makes this adventure worthwhile. Gallagher
gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
North Carolina
Hi Gallagher.
I don't know if this helps, but I have pulled my 13' U-Haul with a 2002 Nissan Frontier crew cab longbed. It had the V-6 with the five speed, and it pulled my camper just fine. I would assume it to be comparable to the Toyota.
Mike in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Hello Gallagher, Do you have the 4 or 6 cylinder? Certainly no problem with the 6, the 4 may be a little sluggish. I guess it all depends how fast you want to get somewhere.

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Having the four door 2007 Tacoma I see that the V-6 is standard and you have either a six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission. You should have no trouble at all pulling the EggCamper. I pulled our EggCamper with a V-6 S-10 and it did fine until going up hills. Because it had only a four-speed automatic it had to downshift to third gear on even mild hills, and I had to slow way down - that's the only reason I moved up to a different tow vehicle. You shouldn't have that problem and the Tacoma will, no doubt, be a great tow vehicle for the EggCamper.

Oh, and if you ever make it to the Florida panhandle, you're more than welcome to take a look at our Egg.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Eggcampers seem well built and have a good, clean look and a spacious feel (relative to Casitas and Scamps, because of the wider Eggcamper body). Be sure to set something up with Jim in MI before you head that way, because I think he goes to Arizona for a while in winter and I wouldn't want you to show up & find the place locked. It's a small operation, but that can be good... Jim is on top of everything, so you don't have much chance of someone assuming that someone else did whatever in the build process.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
Thou, I have camped and lived a gypsy life a couple of times in my life(weekender) I am looking to do at least 6 months or yearly if I can in 2007 4dr cab 4x4 toyota tocoma. Love this truck! Does anyone tow with this type of truck? I am also looking into an egg camper and from reading info and pics it seems this type of trailer would suite my needs the best. Easy to clean also..... I think!
I live in Philly and before I travel to MI to purchase new one. I would like to meet egg owners and also find out more info and maybe take a trip to see your egg. Thanks all,,,, and any info makes this adventure worthwhile. Gallagher
Welcome Gallagher! I have a 2007 Taco with the 4.0 V6 and 6 speed, access cab. I've done many thousands of miles of towing in the western states and under harsh conditions. I've pretty much wrung out every weakness and strength with this truck. I've made some modifications to fix most of the shortcomings. They are very good trucks, and with a little work they will tow your trailer well. If you plan to tow in the west, the 4.0L will be of huge value. If you want to discuss this in more detail, I would suggest starting a thread down in the towing section, so we don't clog up your welcome thread with a bunch of techno garble

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Gallagher. As you can already see... you'll find lots of friendly, helpful people here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have easily towed our Egg Camper with our Chrysler minivan, 6 cylinder. Prefer towing it with our Chevy truck but that's because The Chevy seats are so superior to the Chrysler seats. The Egg Camper feels much more open inside because of the few inches wider and higher inside. Our 6'4" friend has more than enough headroom. You can get an Egg Camper either ALL ELECTRIC (ours is) or with the propane options though Jim Palmer prefers that you get the all electric. He'll give you a very complete factory tour which, in our case, insisting that I get down so I could see the underside of the trailer. On our second visit we ordered the trailer after giving it a good look-over again. Normally, he told me, it's a six week wait from order to delivery but we got ours in two weeks. Then at delivery, he took a couple of hours going over the entire trailer again with his pre-delivery inspection. He has a long checklist and a fairly large owner manual. We paid him and then we did the inspection. While this was going on, his office worker went to get the license plate and registration so that was taken care of completely before we were ready to leave. We hadn't just camped in years but, since we got the Egg Camper, my wiff is ready and willing to go. We use it for camping and travelling around the country. For our 3-4 months of snowbirding we have a 31 ft trailer.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We hadn't seen an EggCamper in person when we paid a deposit on one and then traveled from Florida to Michigan to pick it up. Jim Palmer assured me that if we changed our minds once we actually saw one, he would refund our deposit. It wasn't an issue because once we saw it we were more confident than ever in our decision. I had wanted a Casita for years, but couldn't bring myself to buy one because, at 6' 4" tall, I had to stoop over in even the biggest Casita. My wife was hesitant because, having been in a 17' Casita, she felt cramped inside it, (she's somewhat claustrophobic). Anyway, the openness of the EggCamper made all the difference to her. I haven't been able to get her to agree to an extended trip in it yet, but I have hopes that she'll eventually come around.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #10

Name: gallagher
Trailer: looking/researching
Pennsylvania
Thanks for info and ideas on my next adventure and I hope someday to meet some of you on the road
gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #11

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
I have a 2000 Tacoma 6 cylinder with auto transmission, and it does just fine pulling my 13' "cocoon".
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #12

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hey, fellow philadelphian! I haven't pulled a camper with a Toyota but have hauled horses with....hmm, must have been a Tundra. Well, your Tacoma is going to be an outstanding tow vehicle.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a 2001 V6 Toyota Tacoma and Tow a 17' Casita. I live in NJ outside Philly and if you would like to come take a look and talk, please PM me. The eggs are great campers, and the Taco has some great advantages as a tow vehicle. So please feel free to hit me up! Welcome to the forum!
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #14

Name: Gene
Trailer: Trillium 4500
British Columbia
trailer towing

I tow a 4500 trilluim with my 2008 Ford Ranger 4X4 auto. I have had no problem with this setup. You will be the same. Gene
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: gallager...Here's a pic. of our Escape 5.0& V6 Nissan Frontier. We're located 20 min. south of London on the north side of Lake Erie. About 1/2 way between Detroit& Buffalo.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
earned my stripes.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #16

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
We live near St Michaels, MD, if you'd like to see our EggCamper.

Tags
eggcamper