1973 Amerigo Gut - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #1

Name: Samantha
Trailer: Amerigo
Vermont
1973 Amerigo Gut

Started work on our new to us 1973 Amerigo. Have completely gutted it after once thinking we would have a simple fix up. Here are before pics, will post more pictures as we go along!
Name:   IMG_0143.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  23.2 KB

Name:   IMG_0046.JPG
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:   IMG_0125.JPG
Size:  22.0 KB

Name:   IMG_0104.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:   IMG_0093.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:   IMG_0145.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  28.1 KB
skpcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

Vermont
Last week we removed all windows and reframed and resealed them and made a replacement window for a missing one. Also removed all interior and replaced all of the belly band and put new butyl tape in.
Name:   IMG_0075.JPG
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:   IMG_0076.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:   IMG_0074.JPG
Size:  71.7 KB
Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

Vermont
Took the floor out this weekend
Name:   IMG_0324.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:   IMG_0325.JPG
Size:  92.5 KB
Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
It's good to see another Amerigo getting a new lease on life!

When you think about it these campers are 45 years old more or less. I'm sure when they designed & built these they never expected them to last this long.
I guess that says something to the overall design & build of them.

Looking good & best wishes on your project!

.....and I have that wonderful yellow striped wallpaper on some of the panels I kept as patterns for my FG-16's renovation!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

Vermont
Yea we are going to try to reuse as much as we can of the old striped panels though a lot of it got killed in the demo even with us trying to be careful
Old 05-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hey, Samantha--Hey, SteveV!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Amerigo FG16s!

Looks like you're doing a good job!

Always love seeing the amerigos being saved!

Our wall paneling, too, had a lot of no-save sections...we went ahead and got new thin plywood finish panels and used the old ones as templates.

Will you be restoring all the appliances? After dealing with water and gas leakage and corrosion and all (and for weight purposes) we chose, in the end, to use a microwave where the stove/oven was and an ice chest under the settee bed.

Now we're considering 12V outlets--we bought a 12V electric blanket for only $18 new on eBay and have to install outlets for it. I hear there are 12V televisions, too. And lots of other cool things.

But we got it done, very basically, and have been able to camp in Peanut and are heading out on the 18th for our first trip of the year, knock wood. We missed the 2017 North Oregon Gathering for various reasons.

Glad to see you here! Hope to see you on the road or in a campground one day!

BESt
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 067.jpg   Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg  

Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

Vermont
We are hoping to to use some of the old wood panels but got new ones. We think we may use the old panels on the bottom of the benches but make the main walls all new boards. We are going to reuse the old appliances, we have tested the fridge on electric and it works. We got 2 12volt plugs to put in for charging devices and for fans and other things for boondocking. We like to stay at state parks in Vermont and none of them have power so we will need the gas appliances too. A 12 volt electric blanket is an excellent idea, i am going to have to check into that. But for now we need to get our Amerigo camp ready
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #8

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
I love to see these get restored. It will be really nice when you get done. Good luck.

Every time I see another camper, I think "man I'd love to have one like that". If I were rich, I'd have a warehouse full of fiberglass trailers. I'm not , so I will just have to stick with my Burro.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Vermont
Thanks were qt the frustrated point right now, but I know once the floor is completely out we should start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel
Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #10

North Carolina
I feel your pain.
It seems like most amerigo stories include the chapter called gut & rebuild.

The good part is once you've made the repairs properly you should have decades of using a quality vintage camper ahead of you. Take plenty of pictures as they will help during the going back together stage.

There are several amerigo owner/members here myself included that have gone down that path and posted many pics of their progress......hopefully those can offer some help and guidance with your project.

....and if you have questions just ask, there's plenty of knowledge on the forums here!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #11

Vermont
I know in the end it will be great, its been tough, the weather is not cooperating in Vermont right now, we had snow yesterday and this morning, and we are working on it in our driveway. Taking a break to regroup and hopefully have a better perspective tomorrow when its supposed to be 50 outside, woohoo a heat wave

I have looked at everyones posts as they have given me an idea what to expect and its been a huge help! Though I will say nothing prepared me on Sunday for the massive colonies of ants we had underneath our floors, It was insane. My husband and I lifted up the back floor and it was entirely black with ants crawling, I squealed like a girl and ran out of the camper leaving my husband holding the floor of ants[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #12

North Carolina
Ha! I guess I was lucky & didn't have any critters in mine, just plenty of rotten, stinky wood.

I thought mine just needed a little light remodel too when I bought it......after you own it & start looking at things more closely reality sinks in.
All you can do is go forward!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #13

Registry
I, too, feel your pain!

We used this ~30' x 50' tarp for months over the winter of 2015-2016 until an unusually strong gust of wind tore out several grommets leaving it flapping.

We'd forged ahead enough by then to go naked--it had kept off the worst of the winter's snowfalls, rain, and some wind while Paul pulled the windows, painted under the edges, and resealed them with butyl.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 045.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 044.jpg  

Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #14

Vermont
We are using a camper cover right now, its kind of working, keeping it dry at least since we have the door off. Fighting with the carriage bolts right now, cant seem to get them off after applying a ton of grease to get the rust to loosen, I think we are going to have to try to cut the bolts.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #15

Registry
Luckily, we had NO trouble getting our carriage bolts off! Aren't we special?

Seems the ones that weren't entirely rusted through were 3/4 rusted trough and broke off easily when Paul put pressure on them. Surprise!

We're lucky we made it home with a shell on that trailer frame!

Sounds like you're doing some good innovating and we know how much work can be involved!

Our applause for your efforts! A camper cover sounds like a great solution--chances are, strong wind won't blow it apart!

BESt
Kai
Old 05-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #16

Vermont
You were lucky we have been fighting for 3 days trying to get our bolts off. Question, did you cut the floor where they fiberglassed it in? We were doing that and I accidentally poked a hole through the fiberglass so now I am a little gun shy... The cover has worked well, we had a storm last weekend that had over 50 mph winds and it stayed dry!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #17

North Carolina
If you're talking about the carriage bolts that hold the body to the frame (8 of 'em on mine) then I just cut them off from the bottom side using an electric 4" angle grinder.

On the topside there was a thin layer of fiberglass cloth on top of the plywood about 4" - 6" around the perimeter on the front lower level and that did cover the tops of the carriage bolts. I'm guessing they thought that would help waterproof the plywood.......didn't work on mine anyway. That may be the fiberglass you spoke of breaking thru trying to remove the bolts?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #18

Vermont
Yes, the fiberglass that they put on the wood to like you said attempt to waterproof the wood, which didn't happen with mine either. Did you just cut it out? I have successfully got half of the carriage bolts off now, I cut them and it was pretty easy once i stopped trying to take them off as if they weren't rusted...
Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #19

Registry
Yes, we cut that fiberglassed area around the walls; we were going to have to patch holes with fiberglass resin anyway, so poking another hole here and there was no big. We ended up filling over 82 holes, so what's one more?

Agreed, no point thinking those nuts were going to screw off the bolts--they weren't. Paul bought stainless steel replacements and we slathered them with beeswax before installing them (we learned a toilet ring is made of beeswax--works great for bolts and screws in the belly band, around windows, etc.) we had plenty from one new toilet ring--still have plenty.) the beeswax keeps the wood (behind the fiberglass) from absorbing moisture.

Just one more little step on the road to finished.

K
Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #20

North Carolina
My plywood floors were rotted so it all had to come out. I cut the fiberglass on top of the plywood right at the outer edge of the floor with a thin cut off wheel. I left enough of a fiberglass lip (1/2" - 3/4") to bond the new plywood to it at the old installed height.

Here's what my mess looked like under the vinyl tile.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...2&d=1452744943

Tags
amerigo