lil snoozy or casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
It is true that some of the early Snoozy's had problems. I have only heard of a couple that had the spalling , delamination problem. The outer layer of glass is as thick as the entire thickness of the other brands. I would not call it eggshell thick..

Different process and certainly not comparable thickness or strength. It takes the whole process to produce the rigidity of a Lil'Snoozy, If you produced one with only the outer shell it would need a lot more than furniture to keep its shape,. You are comparing apples and oranges and using strawman arguments to establish your point.
I have never seen any other fiberglass trailer experience spalling.

The spalling is an inherent problem with the process and just as serious as those you cited on other makes.... pretty much inconsequential.

As you say...
"In the end it is all personal choice and what works for you."
... a subjective conclusion which you have supported using pseudo-objective arguments.

No need... you have made a nice choice if it meets that final criterion, and that's enough.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I take it you are not aware of spalling of the truly eggshell thick outer layer,and its comparative lack of impact resistance, especially in the area of small voids.
I think I would refrain from walking on it if I were you.
I have seen just about everything that breaks on just about every make of fiberglass trailer and still see them as far superior to stick built trailers. ( Lil' Snoozy included)

When you find a bunch of 30year old Lil'Snoozys we can compare durability and I really hope yours holds up as well as the Casitas, Scamps, Bolers,LoveBugs, etc. with already proven track records.
Mine is practically like new, but it has only eleven years of heavy use.
You saved me a comment Floyd.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #23

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
If your still looking in the middle of October stop by the Cherokee,NC rally. Many different brands will be represented there and an open house is planned for that Saturday.

RT
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Different process and certainly not comparable thickness or strength. It takes the whole process to produce the rigidity of a Lil'Snoozy, If you produced one with only the outer shell it would need a lot more than furniture to keep its shape,. You are comparing apples and oranges and using strawman arguments to establish your point.
I have never seen any other fiberglass trailer experience spalling.

The spalling is an inherent problem with the process and just as serious as those you cited on other makes.... pretty much inconsequential.

As you say...
"In the end it is all personal choice and what works for you."
... a subjective conclusion which you have supported using pseudo-objective arguments.

No need... you have made a nice choice if it meets that final criterion, and that's enough.

In the end all our observations are subjective. Mine are no more pseudo objective than yours.
I just wanted the OP to have an opinion from someone not in the Scamp, Casita camp. I am sure you are a great person Floyd. I do enjoy sparing with you. Take care...😀

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple View Post
I live in Georgia, and I can get to SC or Tx much easier than BC.

I live in Texas, and can get to Texas alot easier too. Didn't stop me from getting what I wanted. Ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I choose a Lil Snoozy over a Casita because I liked the queen bed, couch across from an entertainment center, large shower, and open feeling. I put propane in ours, as some places don't allow generators. I have owned two Scamps, loved them for each season of our lives (kids with the 1st one, and no kids with the second one). We now are retired and live 5 months a year in it, and it fits our needs perfectly. If we had grand kids I would either change out the couch for a bunk bed set-up, or buy an Escape. The construction of the Lil Snoozy is like that of a fiberglass speed boat. I have been up on the roof to wax it, and never have had any spalling. I hope you find what works for you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #27

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
I hope you've already reached this conclusion, and it has been indirectly mentioned, but I'll go ahead and spell it out:

There are pros and cons to every single trailer. The pros and cons vary in importance for every single person (and every trailer buyer).

All trailer purchasing decisions are therefore personal. You likely have more in common with some of us and less in common with others, so your pro and con weighting list is likely going to be more like some and less like others as well.

That said,
  1. don't let Floyd scare you off of a Snoozy because of the technology used - resin infusion has been around about as long as fiberglass has, and all FG aerospace parts are made this way, as chopper gun layup is far too weak and heavy for airplanes (but is fast and cheap). Whether or not Snoozys have void and delamination problems has to do with process control at the manufacturer, not a weakness of the process. Chopper gun work can be bad as well, just in different ways.
  2. Assume that any trailer will be perfect for you in some ways, adequate in some ways, and deficient in some ways. If you find the deficiencies either easy to live with or easy to remedy, then you've found a winner.
  3. I recommend you get very analytical about this. Make up a list of things that matter to you, and things that don't. Then apply a weighting to each item, then score each candidate trailer. Add up the scores and pick the winner.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
I
That said,
  1. don't let Floyd scare you off of a Snoozy because of the technology used - resin infusion
I would not try to "scare you off" from buying a Lil'Snoozy.
It might be said that those who like to pretend that rivets are somehow a disqualifier are the scare mongers.

I don't see how the following could be construed as an attempt to instill fear into anyone...
"There are those who believe that all change is improvement, if you are one of them, buy the Lil Snoozy."
Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Snoozy

The original owner and developer of the Snoozy used to make airplane parts and boats . I've been up on the roof of the Snoozy and it is very strong .Will it come apart in 10 years I don't know but it certainly seems strong enough . That is not to say it won't get some spider cracks in the gelcoat it might.
Things to like about Snoozy
1-cassette toilet for a weekend fine longer then that goes to a bigger black tank.
2-8ft beam wide stance wheels outside if one gets a blowout it should not affect the fiberglass body .
3-35 gallon water 30 gallon grey water
4-bigger bath area same a larger Escapes
5-Queen bed and large couch
6-rear entry door for putting in bikes etc.
7-headroom 6ft 4 in .

Things i like about Casita
1-propane better for boondocking Can be added to Snoozy
2-proven camper over many years although Snoozy has been in business for over 3years
3-Good resale although i think all fiberglass RV's hold their own .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #30

Virginia
Quote:
"There are those who believe that all change is improvement, if you are one of them, buy the Lil Snoozy."
To which I might reply, "There are those who say that if it was good enough for your grandfather it should be good enough for you. If you are one of them, buy a stick-built."

My point was that the technology used on the Lil Snoozy is not a new and untested technology. It is, in fact, older than chopper gun, but is more expensive, and less forgiving to process error.

Chopper gun is simple, cheap, and harder to do wrong. That doesn't mean it's better. It's also weaker per unit mass and less resilient than mat or cloth vacuum infusion.

Engineering is the art of trade offs with consequences. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
To which I might reply, "There are those who say that if it was good enough for your grandfather it should be good enough for you. If you are one of them, buy a stick-built."
I take it then that you don't think I am the Luddite which you seem to imply by the rest of your text!
Old 08-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #32

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Just a note to the original poster...if/when you come to SC to visit the snoozy factory you'll be less than 20 miles from my house and I'd be more than happy to let you visit my 16' Casita. This, of course, depends on my being here. I'll be camp hosting in Maryland for the month of October. PM me if you'd be interested.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
simple, cheap, and harder to do wrong. That doesn't mean it's better.
Come to think of it... That sounds like the very definition of better!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #34

Virginia
Quote:
Come to think of it... That sounds like the very definition of better!
Not if weight or strength per unit mass matter... Also, properly done vacuum bag infusion is more consistent than properly done chopper gun.

As I said, it's an engineering decision based on pros and cons. You can safely assume that parts produced by chopper gun don't fly much, and have probably never achieved orbit.

Which is better for a camper? That all depends on what 'better' means to you...
Old 08-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Not if weight or strength per unit mass matter... Also, properly done vacuum bag infusion is more consistent than properly done chopper gun.

As I said, it's an engineering decision based on pros and cons. You can safely assume that parts produced by chopper gun don't fly much, and have probably never achieved orbit.

Which is better for a camper? That all depends on what 'better' means to you...
I have seen the Lil'Snoozy... nice trailer... not better, not likely to fly or achieve orbit, not even likely to float even though it comes on a boat trailer.
I prefer properly done chopper gun with reflextix and ratfur. More comfort, and the price has not achieved orbit and rarely causes a flight response.

I once explored the idea of building a car using a small plane for the body. I examined several prospective aircraft, none of which were road worthy, it soon became obvious that more structural integrity was required for road use than for flight.

I conclude in saying that the while Lil Snoozy certainly deserves consideration among peers, superiority is not among its legitimate claims.
Prose and Cannes can be left to the critics.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #36

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I take it then that you don't think I am the Luddite which you seem to imply by the rest of your text!

Mmmmm.. 😁

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Mmmmm.. 😁

Well at least we know that's not an objective judgement on your part!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 AM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
It's been interesting reading everyone's ideas on FG type builds but I do have a comment. Pluses and minuses aside, being the average age of FG owners are on the, ah....... higher end, do we really think we'll out live the trailers life span? A few cracks and sags, a weak axle over time? Gee, I've got that going on too . As I see it, as long as the size and layout works for you, enjoy it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #39

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Ripple (John),

I've tried to respond to your PM but this forum and my i pad don't seem to like each other. Perhaps you can e-mail me (crawford@pcrawford.com) for directions, etc. I've also sent an e-mail that may be in your junk box.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #40

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
Patrick,
I received you message, and have responded via email - thanks
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, lil snoozy