Wood Rot in Scamp 13 Floor. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #21

Name: Anne
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Thanks Bob for the suggestions.

I'm not quite clear as to whether you are going to add the new 3/4" plywood to the bottem or top of your existing floor?

Would it make any difference in overall strength whether or not the new plywood was applied on the bottom or on the top of the old floor?

Bill
Good morning - we just bought a '79 Scamp. We've got the chassis in for a sandblasting, repair & paint. The shell is up on saw-horses in our garage. The plywood floor has been completely cut out. Question-it is better to place the plywood subfloor onto the chassis first & lower the shell onto it?.....or install the plywood in the shell, then put the completed unit onto the chassis? Thanks in advance
annej1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #22

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I replaced the floor with the frame in place under the shell. Actually I removed the floor in parts.
First the front section where the frame was rusted and broken and poorly patched in places. I built a new front end from the "front of the lower floor by the door. I also added the structure for a new modified bath.

This is what it looks like from the front

Here is a picture of the main floor and the rear floor installed. I need to finish the new wheel wells and prime the steel and then fiberglass them and the plywood floors that go on either side.

I used 3/4" ish exterior plywood and fiberglassed both sides and edges with 6.5 oz.yd fiberglass and epoxy resin.
I also used structural glue to seal and bond the plywood the the primed frame along with screws through into the frame.
I am considering also fiberglassing the finished floor to frame junction because SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED wants no bugs crawling in.
Towards that end all openings are to be sealed and tight!
Make sure you have the shell aligned with the frame and the door geometry correct before you measure, cut, install, and fiberglass the floor panels
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
J.D., thank you very much for the informatiion and great photos of your frame, etc.

Just looking at the frame, and wheel well, has furnished me with a lot of knowledge that I didn't previous have.

I'm finally able to get around well enough, with my bum leg, that I have cleaned out the loose ice box, and the dinette seats insides of my Scamp, and am now able to view the floor a little better. So far I've been pleased that I have found much less rot than I had though was present. However, until I can scrub and really clean the plywood, I don't want to get my hopes up!

One bite at a time sounds like great advice!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp