Lifting a 13' Scamp - the basics? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
When it was time to replace our axle, we used a flexiride, which has an 80 spline count axle shaft, this allows one to clock what ever angle/lift desired.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01344.jpg   DSC01345.jpg  

DSC01343.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #22

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
Harvey what was the distance in your clearance once you did the upgrade? Mine is very much the same as your original although mine it is a boler. The axel clearance is imp because I do a lot of fly fishing and find my self off the beaten path more so than none.
Sorry 'bout the delay in reply Greg. Don't see some of these 'old' posts tho I do visit every day. The axle ground clearance of my original was less than 7" (I couldn't get a 7" hydraulic bottle jack under the axle). With the new axle with 22.5 degree down angle, & using the top of original axle mounting brackets as a base on which to weld the 'side mount' brackets from Dexter, I ended up with just a little more than 11" axle ground clearance, & since the new (& old) axle clearance is the same as the 'drop floor' I have no fear of 'dragging' anything. My approach & departure angle has also increased significantly so 'bottoming out' on potholes & such don't worry me too much either. Very few tow vehicles have ground clearance of more than 11" unless you're running 'monster' tire/wheel combos. Even so-called 'Hi Lift' kits seldom give one more actual ground clearance. I'm quite satisfied with my additional axle/chassis clearance increase of more'n 4".
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Greg,
Get Dexter's info here:
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...0-2200_Lbs.pdf
Look at page 2 of the PDF (pg. 12 on the page) and learn about the various angles and ride heights.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1974Boler
Manitoba
Lifting a 13' Scamp - the basics?

Roy I have contacted Dexter and they have replied in great detail. I have sent in my tire size and hes going to do a pro spec program to tell us the height from the ground to the bottom of the frame for each arm angle.

Thanks again
Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
we used a flexiride, which has an 80 spline count axle shaft, this allows one to clock what ever angle/lift desired.
Given that Flexride states they are adjustable in 6 degree increments. I think there would be 60 splines. 6x60=360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
Roy I have contacted Dexter and they have replied in great detail. I have sent in my tire size and hes going to do a pro spec program to tell us the height from the ground to the bottom of the frame for each arm angle.

Thanks again
You will find that when comparing 2 of the Pro Spec documents that you will readily see how all the numbers in the published specs start to fit. You can then use that knowledge with the Flexride specs.
Glad to hear it is working out for you.

It's been a few years since I did mine. In retrospect, I think it was the Pro Spec print out that gave me the idea of selecting a tire size to tweak that sweet spot of ride height I was looking for while considering the recommended down angles for best ride. Something to consider if you need tires, or will in the near future.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #26

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
When it was time to replace our axle, we used a flexiride, which has an 80 spline count axle shaft, this allows one to clock what ever angle/lift desired.
Dave & Paula
What year Scamp did you do your flexiride mod on?

I want to lift my 2009 (or 2010, I cannot remember which), but my axle is welded, not bolted on... So much for the easy answer of the perfectcasita 3in lift.
rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #27

Arizona
Just to show that I am welded and not bolted, here it what I see on the underside. Thanks for the lifting ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancilio View Post
What year Scamp did you do your flexiride mod on?

I want to lift my 2009 (or 2010, I cannot remember which), but my axle is welded, not bolted on... So much for the easy answer of the perfectcasita 3in lift.
Our's was a 1990 13' Scamp Deluxe. I changed it from a leading arm designed to a trailing arm design when we purchased the Flexiride system. The old axle was welded on, but a plasma cutter can easily remove it, or a very cautious use of a cutting torch and angle grinder will also work. I had asked to have the new axle bolted on, but they welded it on
Dave & Paula
Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #29

Arizona
The Scamp folks got back to me. They said "You can lift the trailer but the 13 ft’s don’t seem to take the lift while towing very well. No we welded the axles on until 2012, anything after that they are bolted on. I would just cut your axle off, add however much lift you are thinking of doing, and weld axle back to the bottom of your lift."

What do ya'll say? I have no experience with trailers or vehicles for that matter, but I am thinking that a 3in lift to make room for 15in wheels might make the most sense to create more clearance. I currently have factory 175/80R13 wheel/ tires.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Matt, our lifted 13' Scamp handled very well on and off road. The beauty of the Flexiride axle is that you can change the ride height very easily (which I had to do every time I put it in or took it out of the garage.
Dave & Paula
Old 11-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #31

Name: Dick
Trailer: 13' SCAMP
Iowa
Has anyone tried to mount small coil over shocks to restore some suspension movement?
Dick Wolbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #32

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Look at the Parkliner tire rub issues and see how they fixed it. You could do the same.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #33

Iowa
Can't find it using the search function. I envision using a small coilover mounted to the leading link and making an upper mount. I'm not concerned about the height as much as the rough ride with no suspension.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #34

Arizona
What does a coil over do that a gas shock mod not do?

My 13er is at the fab shop for a lift and shock mod. They are cutting the Dexter axle off, adding bolt-on brackets for the lift kit, and welding on top shock mounts to mate with bolt-on lower mounts from Jim at Orbital Machine Works. After that, I need to determine if I can fit some 205/75R14's to replace the stock 175/80R13's to get a bit more clearance. More soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-06-2014, 03:19 AM   #35

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Wolbers View Post
Has anyone tried to mount small coil over shocks to restore some suspension movement?

No, why not fix it right? If the axle is shot, it's shot. Keep in mind, that rubber that isn't working anymore is also the only thing keeping your wheels from departing the trailer.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #36

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancilio View Post
What does a coil over do that a gas shock mod not do?

a coil over is a spring with a shock inside. Like a strut, but with shock mounts. It's the suspension and the dampening.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #37

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This entire discussion reminds me of off road vehicles that want to go higher. It doesn't matter how high the body and frame are lifted... the axle stays at the same height. You can put spacers, etc. between the frame and axle... but the center portion of the axle pretty much stays at the same height. I put a 45 degree down axle on my Scamp so I could run 15" tires. But the distance between the axle and the ground is (plus) a minor amount as before the axle swap. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I too am always amused by the 'off roaders' with their 'lifted' vehicles that provide a very high 'body/chassis lift' but no increase in ground clearance for the 'running gear'. Some use bigger tires/wheels to provide a little more clearance but unless they're using the 'monster mudders' or some such, they ain't gaining much except a higher center of gravity & usually more instability

It's not all about getting the axle off the ground. An axle can be drug with almost always no problem. It's the approach/break over/departure angles that get you, which a stock scamp 13' basically has none of.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #38

Iowa
I have ordered a new axle assy from Scamp. Their cost was very reasonable.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good move, you'll be happy with that decision.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #40

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
It's not all about getting the axle off the ground. An axle can be drug with almost always no problem. It's the approach/break over/departure angles that get you, which a stock scamp 13' basically has none of.

Steep driveways can be a "drag" so to speak is a real problem, especially once the rubber is shot. As can going over any abrupt change up or down with the TV before the camper wheels engage the change. Into and out of a sharp back road dip or gully can give you a scuffed rear or front along the bottom edge. FG no like being dragged.

I don't think lifting the axle alone would do a whole lot. Especially not if axle is shot, bigger wheel would just push suspension arm up more. Shocks or springs would be a band aid or duct tape solution.

Thing is most axle lift arrangements put the riser between the axle and the frame which provides no overall increase in ground clearance for the axle shaft, and by itself does not provide much real help at the leading a trailing edges of the trailer on a 13 foot.

If you combine a little more lift for the axle mount with more down angle on the axle arm (or adjustable angle) , and position so that axle spindle travel in the wheel well is good (won't rub) for a larger wheel and taller profile tire you pick up more usable ground clearance. With the downside that you probably now need a step to get into the trailer comfortably.

A new axle may provide better suspension from a towing standpoint since it will do a better job of keeping tires on the road and have less bounce and sway. Since new axle provides a stiffer suspension I'm not sure it would yield a softer ride for the items inside the camper. Stiff shock absorbers don't yield softer ride, and new rubber would generally be a stiffer shock absorber than old rubber.

I debated going with higher lift when I replaced my axle, decided in the end that ease of entry and keeping the trailer tucked down in behind the tow vehicle (Ford Escape) was the option that worked better for me. So my new axle restores original ride height with maybe 1/2 inch of additional height.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp