AZ 2007 Oliver Legacy Elite with Solar $37,500 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #21

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite
Arizona
cpaharley2008, I'm not sure how Airstream does theirs but our tanks are enclosed and on our particular Oliver they are heated.

Lisa
Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mass Market

After returning from the Scamp factory I wouldn't consider any of these fiberglass trailers mass market, at least at the Scamp factory they are virtually hand made.

I do agree that a Casita 17 and an Oliver have much in common in terms of function, actually both can fully meet the needs of a camper. The Oliver offers some functions at a higher level, i.e. electric leveling.

I went to the Oliver web site to find the trailer's width. It no longer seems to be functioning, at least not today. One thing the Casit aand Oliver have in common is a narrow isle, our Scamp's appears 50% wider.

Certainly for anyone that wants the special features of the Oliver like an aluminum frame, ..... this is the only choice. When there is only one choice the price is often high, unfortunately too high to sustain a business.

I'm sure there's a customer for this rather unique execution of a fiberglass trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
If I would again consider 17' or larger trailer I would definitely consider Oliver, it is a Rolls Royce. Personally, I think it is better than Airstream $4K Al panel replacements. Price and weight would be the primary deterrents.

You could follow my 21RB Bigfoot sale about 3 month ago and find the person from Saudi Arabia who was interesting getting my trailer. This potential sale was absolutely real, no scam. Your Oliver could be a perfect fit for him to camp on the Saudi Desert. Send me an PM if you want his contact, I don't know if he is still on the market.

I am still struggling in between Sprinter with my own RV conversion or Trillium Outback and ...

George.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
2008 comparison of dimensional and capacity specs here: Bay Area Podcast – How we Picked our RV |
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have the Orig brochure they mailed out somewhere. I think it says around 17k, can't remember for sure. You gotta love inflation. Still would love to own one some day.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeJay and ElleJay View Post
Nice Trailer BUT, IOHO, NOT worth 3 times a Casita.
It is priced in Airstream territory and you can't even get into the WBCCI with one.
Not much wonder the Oliver brothers ran out of customers after 45 sales.

GJ & LJ
I sold my loaded out 2008 Airstream 16 ft DWR to buy a 2008 Oliver. It was one of the best moves I ever made. If you go to the AS forum you will read about all kinds of problems concerning their Airstream trailers, including poor workmanship at the factory, rotting floors from leaks, old technology still being used, etc. The Oliver I bought is bulletproof, much like your Casitas, however, the Oliver is like a Casita on steroids.

While I was on the road with my Oliver in Montana a couple came up to me and asked if they could look at my Casita. They were looking to buy one. I told them that it was not a Casita and welcomed them to look. After they took a tour the husband took me aside and told me that this was going to be a problem for him because now his wife would never be satisfied with a Casita.

Bottom line is that in my opinion, the Oliver is way better than my 16 Bambi DWR, even though I paid quite a bit less for the Oliver.

By the way, I just came back from the Oliver factory where they replaced my 3500# axel for a new 5200# axel at no charge to me. They are talking about making Olivers again sometime next year. Believe me, there would be no problem selling new Olivers for $35,000 to people looking at similar Airstreams for $54,000, which is what my Airstream retailed for when new. The resale value on these Olivers is also phenomenal. You pay more but are able to enjoy
the Olivers great features and if you need to sell it you are going to get most of your money back. I love the fact that there are only 45 Olivers in the world and that I own one, but would love to see them back in production so that others can experience this great product, made in America by proud Americans.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #27

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Beautiful. No roughing it included here! I'm sure you'll find your buyer. Good luck on a speedy sale.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #28

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
It would be nice if they make them again they are beautiful, but the new fiberglass really offgasses and is really unhealthy (for all eggs).
Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
They are talking about making Olivers again sometime next year.
I hope Jim and Evon are able to bring the Oliver back into production. While it's NOT for everyone, whether layout or price, it is for some and I think competition in the molded manufacturing world is good for ALL buyers.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #30

Like steve mentioned and sherry and paul in the past. The oliver customer support is pretty impressive with them even today. That's also worth something in the price you pay (to me anyway). I sure hope they come back. They said a trailer built to last a lifetime and they really mean it.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
It would be nice if they make them again they are beautiful, but the new fiberglass really offgasses and is really unhealthy (for all eggs).
That may be a persistent myth. There are several sources for "new smell" and with the lining completely covering much of the interior and the fiberglass commonly completely cured before assembly is done... If there is any residual "outgassing" it would be minor.
My Scamp is a Deluxe which I bought new, if there was any smell at all it was a very temporary combination of glue and laquer, but certainly not as much "new smell" as a new car.
I just drove a brand new Mazda5 home from the dealer for my daughter(about 75miles) the initial heat from the engine and the converters caused an odor bad enough that I felt compelled to roll the windows down a couple of times. A couple of days later, when I happened to ride in it, there was no noticeable odor of any kind.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #32

Georgia
Sheesh

It is not a residual myth.
And I get sick even going into an egg that's just a few years old if it hasn't been used much. I get brainfog from the offgassing and I can smell it. I went into a 2011 Eggcamper last year and even the owner admitted she'd get ill from it when she first used it, and had to air it out to feel better.

The cabinets are laminate--the carpet is glued on--all these things offgas VOC's, as is well known in occupational medicine. The foam used for cushions and for sleeping on--offgasses toxic VOCs, and the fire retardants used--well go read the Chicago Tribune series on fire retardants earlier this year. Got a lot of attention. Toxic, endocrine disrupters.

Almost every material in a new egg is toxic, period. As in all RV's. Eggs are built much better, but that doesn't negate what they're made of.

And it's a small space without much ventilation and well sealed, which makes it worse while sleeping in it at night. Not nearly enough active ventilation or air flow.

It's okay for occasionally camping for the healthy, but if you have any form of impaired detoxification, which 20% of the population does, and/or you use them fulltime, you're putting a load on your system.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #33

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hhmmm, maybe that is what we sometimes see on the windows in the morning and call it condensation. Possibly without this off gassing that liquid residue will go away or decline over time, again that is why it is important to leave a vent cracked 24/7/365.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #34

Georgia
Ventilation

Yes, leave vent cracked, also when not using, try to let it have active air flow exchanges--with the reversible fantastic fan, and maybe opening door and windows especially in summer when heat will speed offgassing. Some folks have boasted to me they bought the $700 expensive memory foam mattress for their casita, but those are *really* toxic (temperpedic type mattresses).

Over time, the toxin load really levels off, but I've found it depends on use. A couple using their egg a few months a year, in different seasons, it will be pretty well offgassed within a few years. A rarely used egg, shut up in a garage or pole barn or whatever, or with a cover over it, could be used a few weeks a year, will still have toxic vocs five or seven years later!

I'm very sensitive, but have walked in a lot of them so I know the difference. Personally I think scamps these days are more toxic than casitas. I don't know--but I went into a five year old 13 foot scamp last spring at a campground, peeked in, and to me it reeked, more than casitas ever have.

One guy told me his scamp, a very nice 82 that he'd cared for with love, had offgassed fiberglass odor for about the first 10 years!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Small trailers can have a number of different odors depending on the owners and trailer use. They have small volumes, spend a lot of time closed up and that storage time is often unheated.

We find that fiberglass in relatively short order turns to rock and stops releasing volatiles. As to other volatiles, at least in my trailer the carpet is not glued in place.

It's also hard to imagine that fiberglass volatiles vary much between brands.

Personally I sometimes feel like I'm in an operating room in our Scamp, part of my reason for adding more wood.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #36

Georgia
By carpet I include the carpet or rat fur all over the walls of casitas and scamps. These synthetic products offgas quite a bit of volatiles and are glued to the fiberglass. Laminate wood throughout offgasses. Fiberglass does too but I'm not familiar with how long. New upholstery has finishes and flame retardants. Foam is a petroleum product although you can now buy memory foam made of soy with No voc's.

That's why I like well used ones better!

I do think the small space amplifies offgassing load. I'm very sensitive. In general though if using them for months or fulltime, or if you have any kind of illness that increases stress on your body, making sure its well ventilated, and accelerating the offgassing process with air flow especially when stores, can really help.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #37

Man I LOVE the new smell of both vehicles and the FG campers! Been trying to "preserve" that now over 2 yrs .

I guess some people just llike the old musty, mildew stinch of older RVs! Good luck! As Donna and others state...it's a matter of personal preference. GIVE ME NEW or KEEP YER RV! (Oliver included!)

In my opinion, the used Oliver is WAY over-priced. Weird thing is, I live 30 miles from the Hohenwald, TN. factory and never been there...drove 1235 miles to Backus for a new Scamp-- $12,500. (13') We love it.

I will state in Oliver's defense though-- LOVE the double-wall construction- NO RIVETS! Also, the jacks? DA BOMB!! Wow...nice luxury there. LIke the Alum. wheels but it looks like it's riding on stilts. AND, I really would miss the "rat fur" of my 13' Scamp in the Oliver. It looks "cold" and "laboratory"ish. The rat fur we love and has a "cozy" feel. Again, personal preference as I dont care for the "carpet" on the Casitas.

A wild world this RV'ism is!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #38

Georgia
I do agree with you on the beautiful Olivers being overpriced.

As to mildew-I don't like that either! :-) Hopefully there's a happy medium where a trailer has been used, cared for, and is not moldy from leaks or improper storage.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #39

NO NO...I wouldnt think for one minute THAT Oliver would be nothing but "pristine"! I hope that's not the way I came across. I just dont want a "used" RV..period. BUT, I have looked at older RV's that had the "smell" to it that turns my stomach.

I did read where Oliver could possibly start building again? I had looked on their site where they were doing a more economical model before closing. I would LOVE to have the "double-shell" design...but not all the fluff. Personally, I see them MAYBE getting $20K for that used $37.5 camper? To me it's just like buying a new vehicle, the more they have on them, the quicker they depreciate. To make it more realistic, type an option in KBB that costs about $1500 on a new vehicle and see how LITTLE it will actually change the value on a used vehicle.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Some things never depreciate. Wish I would have bought gold in the 1970s when it was $32 an ounce. Sigh. There's never been another brand of trailer quite like the Oliver and probably won't be unless it goes back into production. Sorta like the Airstreams. Many come close, none reach the same height. And yes, it could be alot of "perception." But there are those that are willing to pay for that....

Tags
oliver, solar