Need Oliver owner to share what hardware is used for sliding doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Need Oliver owner to share what hardware is used for sliding doors

Do we have any Oliver owners who would be able/willing to take a photo as to what hardware is used on the overhead bin doors on the inside of the bins. And how is it attached. I want to add sliding doors to a bin on my trailer as the Oliver's are done but not sure what to use.

Thanks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Since this hasn't received an answer yet I'll pipe in. I'm not an Oliver owner but checked them out thoroughly when they came to Vegas. At that time the cabinet doors were like a roll top desk. I've seen some countertop appliance garages and bread boxes that have similar setups. They had tracks on ether side and the door rolled up onto a roller at the top of the cabinet. I suppose you could follow directions for a roll top desk and miniaturize it.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks Steve!! I hadnt thought of that option. I am putting an overhead bin in the front of the trailer and due to having a side bath it makes it hard to have a long door that flips up without it hitting the front wall of the bathroom - make it shorter and you will not be able to reach in for anything at one end of the bin.....
Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
It's actually a really cool design. I believe you could even run a track like a garage from the front up along the top. Then to make the door glue strips of wood to cloth and run it up into the tracks. Believe me I have also given this some thought through the years.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Carol, this style is called a tambour door. Not sure what size opening you are needing it installed in, but Lee Valley has a couple options, and there are multitudes of others available with a search.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #6

Registry
Thanks guys. I did find the tambour door site where you can order the right size from. My problem is that I picked up the overhead front bin from a party here who ordered the wrong one for the wrong end of his trailer from Scamp (picked it up without the trailer with him). Got it home realized the problem - I want a front overhead bin so all good - until I realized that Scamp had pre cut the opening for a trailer without a side bath - so the opening goes behind the front wall of the bath room - only a 5" gap between so the door would not open fully :-(

Took the bin to a fiberglass shop and they want about $600 to make the hole smaller and make it all nice and shiny fiberglass as it was meant to be (which I also want). If I put one of the tamour doors on it I need to mount the track to the ceiling of the trailer - to do that I would probable need to cut away the rat fur etc and epoxy wood strips to mount the track on ... may be easier to just put sliders in it - as often seen on boats. Or easier still I could order a door the same size as the cut out from Scamp to match the ones already in the trailer and just cut it down and make short section thats behind the wall fixed and hinge mount the rest... just not sure how that might look - when closed it would be all one piece will a small slice mark where they meet.... hummmmm.

All suggestions welcome!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
All suggestions welcome!
I remember seeing mirrored sliding doors in the Olivers I saw in Quartzsite, AZ. They were made of mirrored plastic so that they were unbreakable. There is simple track that you mount behind the opening. My Fiber Stream uses this system for the upper kitchen cabinet doors... only with wood panel.

Sliding Door Track Set For 1/4" Thick Doors

The picture does not show the edge trim I recently put on the opening.

Cowles U-Shaped Door Edge Guard - JCWhitney
Attached Thumbnails
000_0255.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

Registry
Thanks Frederick those are the tracks I was looking for.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Oliver
Texas
Trac

Quote:
Do we have any Oliver owners who would be able/willing to take a photo as to what hardware is used on the overhead bin doors on the inside of the bins. And how is it attached. I want to add sliding doors to a bin on my trailer as the Oliver's are done but not sure what to use.

Thanks.
Hi Carol,
It is night here and the flashlight didn't help much for me to see how the tracs were attached. They are hidden behind a plastic type trim finish around the edge of the openings of each bin.

If you get plexiglass too thick for the doors, they won't slide.
When the plexiglass is too thin, the doors move in the tracs.
It would be good to have something to secure the doors from sliding open as you travel down the road. I haven't figured this out yet.
Some have used bungee cords. I have thought of putting a dowel between edge of door and side of opening.

For now, I just pack the cabinets with towels, blankets, etc to keep stuff from falling out when I am pulling my rv.

The door panels in my Oliver are smoky black to complement the interior.

It sounds like a sliding door will work perfectly for that particular spot in your rv.

I haven't learned how to post pictures yet but I will try to take some pictures and post them for you to see.

Jennifer
HJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #10

Registry
Thanks Jennifer, it sounds like your cabinets are the same as the ones on the Oliver that is currently for sale? which is where I got the idea to do the sliders. Thanks so much - would love to know what tracks were used and how they are attached.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

Texas
Sliding door trac

Carol,
I used a dental mirror to look inside the bin. I did not see any screws or tape. It may be glued in but I can't really tell. If I find out somehow I sure will let you know.
I do like the sliding doors even though I can only see half the bin at a time unless I take off both doors. (not hard to slide back in) Would love to see a picture of your upgrade when you get it done.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks for looking Jen. Is the top rail attached to the roof? Or is it to the attached to the front on the cabinet?

When you say you can take them off - do you just lift them out of the track some how?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
The track that Frederick shows is similar to the ones in our Oliver. We had similar tracks in our boat, and now in the Oliver. The track extends beyond the curved opening. The plexiglass sliding doors are cut slightly shorter (quarter inch, perhaps?) than the distance between the bottom and top tracks. To insert the doors, work from the back, fit first door into the upper front track, lift up, then let it drop into the bottom front. Follow the same procedure with the second door, into the back track. Simple, really.
The Oliver sliding doors are drilled out with a small hole, covered with a plastic grommet. When traveling, I slide the two doors together with the grommets lapping, and rarely have a door rattle out or move. No bungees necessary, no problem, except on extremely rough roads.
Oliver manufactures a lot of plastic and fiberglass items, and may very well have made their own track. However, you can find the similar tracks on amazon dot com for $12 to $15 for four feet. Rockler or the Knape and Vogt that Frederick posted.
Good luck. The sliders are nice, as they're light, easy to use, and allow full access tot he cabinet, half at a time with sliders installed, full access for cleaning and organizing with them removed.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #14

Texas
Quote:
Thanks for looking Jen. Is the top rail attached to the roof? Or is it to the attached to the front on the cabinet?

When you say you can take them off - do you just lift them out of the track some how?

Thanks again for the help.
Yes the doors are lifted out of the trac.
It looks like the front of each trac (sides and top and bottom) is glued to the backside of the bin openiing.
There are 2 perpendicular tracs about 3" on the left and right side of the bin opening to help keep the doors closed nicely.
The trac on the top is one solid lenth that the doors fit into (one in the front space of the trac and the other door in the back space of the trac)
The bottom trac has to have a center portion cut out of the base so that you can insert the doors. It is still one solid length just cut down in the center.
There is a finishing piece around the front of each set of sliding doors.
You may be able to see this on the video of the Oliver that is for sale.
If I can explain this better by phone please let me know by pm.
Hope this helps a little.
I would love to see photos when you are finished with your project. J
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #15

Registry
Thanks Jen for the details - much appreciate. Fixing the tracks correctly is what I need to sort out.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #16

Texas
That is the hardest part!!!
A very important detail is to keep the top and bottom tracks parallel to each other so the doors will slide side to side and that the top grooves of the track line up exactly with the tracks in the bottom grooves so that the doors stand perpendicular to the track.
Also, plexiglass or whatever door material you will use needs to be smaller than the groove so that it will slide.
There will necessarily be two doors half the length of the opening, one in the front groove and one in the back, so that you can get in to the storage bin.

Tags
oliver