Is it possible to order an Oliver with a different interior color? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: TBD
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenH View Post
These measurements are for a 17 foot Oliver.
The original table is 23 1/2 " by 24". The piece I place on top is 30" by 24". The new table top took away 3" from each sitting space but I prefer the larger table top to a bigger sitting space and it has not been an inconvenience with less sitting space. I am still comfortable and have the bigger table top that I wanted. I did not extend the top out into the aisle as this would be in the way.
Oh, so your new table extends along the length of the trailer? I was imagining the other way... Perhaps a new table can be expanded in all 4 directions, sacrificing the "corridor" space a bit...
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #22
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
Oh, so your new table extends along the length of the trailer? I was imagining the other way... Perhaps a new table can be expanded in all 4 directions, sacrificing the "corridor" space a bit...
I've been in the 21' Oliver and can't see how it's possible to increase the width of the side dinette without closing off the corridor. In those rare situations where you need space for 4 or 2 sitting side by side maybe you can live with breaking up the rear bed. It's not that much of a chore.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #23

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I've been in the 21' Oliver and can't see how it's possible to increase the width of the side dinette without closing off the corridor. In those rare situations where you need space for 4 or 2 sitting side by side maybe you can live with breaking up the rear bed. It's not that much of a chore.
Unfortunately, it will not be rare... We do 50/50 between sitting facing each other and sitting on the same side...
Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #24
SRD

us
Quote:
I agree that on paper, Big Foots are more suitable on my needs except:

- Its wide and tall. Its frontal area is much bigger than the other two and consequently mileage suffers. Its not the end of the world but I prefer better MPG.
- Its heavy. I will need to step up to a full size SUV like Tahoe, Sub or a Expedition. Not sure if I'm ready for that yet.

Problem with Escape 21:
- No space for 4 batteries
- No space for two large solar panels. Best they can do is 95wx2.
- Might be least well insulated of the 3, although it might be enough for me. We like camping during leaf seasons so overnight, it goes below zero.

I'm still debating.....
If I'm not mistaken the Oliver is about the same weight as the Bigfoot. That extra fiberglass inside is heavy. But, as you say, the Bigfoot does have the largest frontal area followed by the Escape and then the Oliver. Again, as someone already stated, there are always tradeoffs. The width directly translates into floor space inside. Either you want to tow it or loose it.

A good compromise seems to be the Escape. I wouldn't be surprised that a modification for 4 batteries is possible. You may want to look at how it's accomplished in the Bigfoot as a possibility. As for the solar panels, the 95x2 seems like a lot of power. What is determining your needs for something larger?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
SRD

us
Quote:
Unfortunately, it will not be rare... We do 50/50 between sitting facing each other and sitting on the same side...
Sounds like this feature is important so read on in my post that followed.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
If I'm not mistaken the Oliver is about the same weight as the Bigfoot. That extra fiberglass inside is heavy. But, as you say, the Bigfoot does have the largest frontal area followed by the Escape and then the Oliver. Again, as someone already stated, there are always tradeoffs. The width directly translates into floor space inside. Either you want to tow it or loose it.

A good compromise seems to be the Escape. I wouldn't be surprised that a modification for 4 batteries is possible. You may want to look at how it's accomplished in the Bigfoot as a possibility. As for the solar panels, the 95x2 seems like a lot of power. What is determining your needs for something larger?
We (both of us) use a lot of laptop power. Basically, our living style will be hiking during the day and lots of laptop use (+ TV watching sports) during the evening/nights. Doesn't sound a lot but they add up quite a bit. Then there's the fridge, fans, sat dish, receiver, furnace, LED lights, etc.

According to the solar sizing sheet, 500w will barely meet the demand, and I would need more than 400Ah assuming 50% max discharge.

Ideally, I'd like to have TWO 240w Sanyo HIT panels if possible which use both mono and poly cells which is good for both sunny and shady days. And to capture all that, I will need 4 batteries (or two of those incredibly tall Trojans which probably won't fit either).
Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #27

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2009

A larger table top can only be made longer and possibly the aisle side of the table top could be made with a part that folds up and then down when thru using the tabletop. I think that the improvised tabletop I have could easily hold two laptops. I have two big soft pillows to lean on while sitting on the side seats. Only the person on the seat closest to the bathroom can watch the tv somewhat comfortably. I am on the back bed with plenty of pillows as a backrest to watch the movies when the grandkids are with me or I make myself comfortable on the floor with plenty of blankets, memory foam, pillows. It works for us and we have the best of times making do! I also have a foot rest that I use when I am sitting on the seat closest to the bathroom. It just makes it comfortable to my feet somewhat elevated. The most fun of all is adapting the trailer to make it work for yall's comfort. There are definitely tradeoffs that have been well worth it for me. I would encourage you to look up Oliver travel trailers on the internet, look for Technomadia, and communicate with them. They sold their Oliver but they are super people and can answer way more questions than I can. I would also encourage you to talk to Robert Partee at the Oliver factory. He can answer the technical questions for you about the solar panels, battery usage, etc. I recently replace my batteries with the agm. It is not so easy to explain everything about the Oliver when typing information. I would not let a cosmetic concern like white, interior color discourage you when you look at the quality of trailer that an Oliver has. Initially, yes but when you add your own color scheme the white color is balanced and not overpowering. I looked at ease of cleaning the interior as the bigger issue than the issue of too much white. Everybody's needs and wants are different and I wish you the very best in your search for the trailer that is perfect for the two of you.
HJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Just buy one and cover the walls (or have them covered) with what ever you like. Then have a cabinet shop modify the table.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #29
SRD

us
Dittos on contacting Technomadia, the couple that started fulltiming in a small TAB then in a 17' Oliver. Good luck in your search for that perfect or near perfect fit.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Just buy one and cover the walls (or have them covered) with what ever you like. Then have a cabinet shop modify the table.
I'm with Bruce. Lots of folks paint the exterior. Why NOT the interior? Yeah your adding to that "new" cost, but if you get exactly what you want... it may be cheaper than asking the manufacturer to make a one-off change. BTW: they have made an all red and an all black Oliver, but that's both the exterior AND the interior.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
While it might not be on the option list I have found out in the past that MONEY will change almost any thing.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Just buy one and cover the walls (or have them covered) with what ever you like.

That approach is better suited to the purchase of a second hand fixer than a presumed "high-end" trailer. Using the same no-color white as everyone else in the industry goes against Oliver's attempt to define its product as something exceptional.

It's a thirty thousand dollar trailer. Who would buy a Dior gown planning to correct its cosmetic "defects" ?

Might as well shop at Walmart.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #33

Name: Scott
Trailer: Oliver
Washington
Pasti paint from Home Depot

Several co-workers have painted their car wheels with a plasti paint purchased at Home Depot. It will stick to most surfaces, won't come off unless rubbed hard and is easy to apply. I think anyone with basic prep. for paint and ability to apply a spray paint could re-color the interior of the Ollie. Best part is, if you did not like, or made a mistake it can easily be removed!

Scooter
Scott 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #34

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenH View Post
Hello,
. . . it has turned out to be a non-issue for me. I personalized the interior with my own colors - flooring, bed cover, pillows, wall decorations, etc. If I get tired of my current color choices all I have to do is change the little things.
Jenn,

It's a non-issue for you because you have soooooo many pillows,who can even SEE the walls?!? I bet the grandkids can have some raucous pillow fights in there.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

That approach is better suited to the purchase of a second hand fixer than a presumed "high-end" trailer. Using the same no-color white as everyone else in the industry goes against Oliver's attempt to define its product as something exceptional.

It's a thirty thousand dollar trailer. Who would buy a Dior gown planning to correct its cosmetic "defects" ?

Might as well shop at Walmart.
You are quite the wordsmith. Is this what I have heard referred to as trolling...lol...
Robert Partee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So what is the answer for the OP, can they have a different interior color if they are willing to pay for the additional cost of paint or resin?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
While it might not be on the option list I have found out in the past that MONEY will change almost any thing.
Hello all,
The interior color has been discussed and is not out of the question. It does go beyond just adding some pigment. The most expensive part is actually the time spent on flushing the hose lines and cleaning the spray guns just to mention a few things. This can take up to several hours and is down time from production leaving a gap and costing money. We can invest in additional equipment to run both colors but that is a very expensive option also.
It is something we may very well offer in the future as production continues to grow.
As always, thanks for your suggestions and input. We continue to listen.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
So what is the answer for the OP, can they have a different interior color if they are willing to pay for the additional cost of paint or resin?
Hey Ken,
I can inquire from the plant as to the cost if someone really wanted to change the color but the cost at this point might be too high to justify it to a potential customer.
I saw the below on another website for a different product:
"Our only limitations are your imagination and your checkbook".
Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I hear ya. Out of my price range... but was asking for the OP. His question was still floating around. Glad we were able to catch you on the forum here. Thanks for taking the time to check in. With the camping season gearing up, i'm sure you folks are real busy at the Oliver shop.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Partee View Post
Is this what I have heard referred to as trolling...lol...
No- it's what's referred to as "my opinion". I've expressed my mystification with the ubiquitous white many times in this forum.

No need to feel singled out- Trillium, Casita, Scamp, Parkliner, and Eggcamper also use the white interior, and we see posts from folks referring to a certain sterility-of-feel per those brands, too. I think this is an important reason that some choose to instead buy, for example, Scamp's "deluxe" wood interior model. Others attracted to the molded fiberglass concept but wanting something "warmer" just go with a mfr. such as Bigfoot or Escape that except for the shell use no fiberglass components at all. As is plain from earlier posts in this very thread.

For myself, I much prefer the unique shape, texture, feel, and cleanliness of molded fiberglass interior components. Oliver's done a superior job in that department....in my opinion it's the best designed trailer of its kind in the current field. But so much of what you've done is more or less "invisible", first-impression-wise. When a person steps inside an Oliver, especially if as a couple, most aren't thinking about the aluminum frame, the double shell, or any of the other true steps up in build. What they're thinking about is how it "feels". As is evident in this and other threads (again emphasizing that dismissal of the "feel" is specific to the bright white of any trailer using the white inside.)

To clarify, I don't favor color "options", either. Plainly put, I think Oliver has so far missed what seems to me an obvious opportunity to very visibly set itself apart from all others by choosing and using no-option colors that carry the same "we're different" message that so many other (more hidden) parts of the design do.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver