Removing and Reinstalling Parkliner Air Condioner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I bought one of those little 5K Frigidaires and was so unimpressed I boxed it back up and returned it to Lowes. I went down to Home Depot and found a 6K BTU unit very slightly larger but that really cools the Scamp. WAY better than only an additional 1000 BTU would seem to indicate. The 6K unit has the added benefit of removing and servicing the filter from the front. I had no idea this would be an issue until our second trip out we discovered that the filter was 100% covered in dog hair. My Aussie sheds a tremendous amount of fur and the A/C (which she lays right in front of) was sucking it up. Personally, since I have had the Scamp with the A/C in the cabinet and the ablity to swap it out for $170 I DO NOT want a trailer with roof A/C. Other than cost I also want the roof clear and available for solar panels.

I forgot to mention that even after I called Fridigaire they were unable to come up with a fitting to connect a condensate drain line, but the Home Dept unit came with one that I attached to short hose down throught the bottom of the Scamp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #22

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I went down to Home Depot and found a 6K BTU unit very slightly larger but that really cools the Scamp.
What make/model?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
What make/model? Frank
This little beauty: http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-6-000-BTU-115-Volt-Window-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-LW6014ER/205139201?N=5yc1vZc4lu

While only slightly physically larger it is significantly heavier and more expensive than the additional 20% of cooling capacity would suggest. I believe this is due to it being a much more well-built and substantial unit. The condensate drain and ability to clean the filter alone are worth it to me notwithstanding the additional cooling. The little Frigidaire is an entry-level, built to a price point unit and has its place but it did not cut it for me. After I bought and installed the 6K LG I saw an 8000 BTU Heir (I think that is the brand) at Walmart for under $200 that did not look much bigger in the box. I don’t know if it would have fit though, the 6K pushed the limits of still having room for air flow around the sides of the case in the Scamp’s closet install. I like the LG 6000 BTU and it did the job during a week at the beach this summer in Florida.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #24

New York
Good to know. Our trailer's AC unit really has no room to breath, let alone room for anything larger.

I installed a small roof mounted AC unit on an old Sunline travel trailer we had. It was not difficult to install, but it was pricey. I'd like to see or know where ParkLiner is mounting these roof units. Replacing the powered vent in the back maybe?

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 09-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbinder52 View Post
one of the key elements driving me towards the PL was the AC unit in the cabin. while checking the options page I see that they only offer a roof mount unit now. I didnt care for that style in the other brands... How much should I expect that to impact gas mileage ?
Roof AC units have become much more aerodynamic than they were only 5 years ago. Newer Dometic hardly protrudes more than a roof van vent cover now. Also runs fine on a Honda 2000i

Charlie Y
Attached Thumbnails
cage.jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #26

Name: Butch
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Roof AC units have become much more aerodynamic than they were only 5 years ago. Newer Dometic hardly protrudes more than a roof van vent cover now. Also runs fine on a Honda 2000i

Charlie Y
Thanks, having ruled out the roof mount initially, I havent done any real research . Looks as if impact will be minimal.
B
bookbinder52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #27

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
HI Butch, I can tell you we went to Savannah, GA in August (mistake) was 100...the a/c in the floor only cooled us to 87...not good enough, and we were in the shade. I would much prefer a roof mount that works better. We had 3 fans going as well. I love my Parkliner, but hate the floor a/c.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #28

New York
I'm waiting for pics and model #s of the new roof mounted AC. I want mine on the roof. I've installed roof mount AC before, and other than cost, am ready to do it again. I assume it goes where the powered vent is in the back, so there's power there already.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #29

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Fortunately this summer at least in my area was fairly mild. When I was up in Herkimer it did get up to the 90's during the day but cooled down at night I was fine with just my Maxxair fan....I really need to see if my 8000btu unit which is the same size as the last 5000btu unit I owned will fit. To help my ac out last year I was using a ac turbo fan from walmart under it blowing it up and towards the back of the ParkLiner...it helped move the air around...wasn't ice box cold like I prefer but better then the outside air temp lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #30

Tennessee
Hi Frank,

I was thinking of putting one where the escape hatch is...if it is right over the bed, I think I would wake up frozen! I wonder if ours will support the weight? We took one out of another camper, it weighed 90lbs.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #31

New York
Generally the units inside the trailer blow away, not down Gretchen. Also, I think whatever ParkLiner is using is 1) lightweight, and 2) not so heavy as to require change of the mold or construction of the trailer. Someone that gets along better with the folks there than I do should ask!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #32

Tennessee
Thanks Frank!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #33

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Fortunately this summer at least in my area was fairly mild. When I was up in Herkimer it did get up to the 90's during the day but cooled down at night I was fine with just my Maxxair fan....I really need to see if my 8000btu unit which is the same size as the last 5000btu unit I owned will fit. To help my ac out last year I was using a ac turbo fan from walmart under it blowing it up and towards the back of the ParkLiner...it helped move the air around...wasn't ice box cold like I prefer but better then the outside air temp lol.
Thanks Deryk, We also had a good fan on the floor blowing the a/c up..but to little avail when its that hot. We live in TN so need the a/c if we want to camp more.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #34

New Jersey
Registry
I wonder if you took some say 1" marine plywood, coat it with epoxy and put that on the roof, with a hole cutout for the hatch so it extends a distance all around the hatch so with the ac unit mounted on the roof it would spread the weight out more would work to not cave the roof in lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #35

New York
That's not a bad idea Deryk, but I sure would like to know what AC unit they're putting up there, and if they're doing anything for structural support to do it.

Somebody email Tom Bass and ask him. They're not replying to my emails.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #36

Tennessee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I wonder if you took some say 1" marine plywood, coat it with epoxy and put that on the roof, with a hole cutout for the hatch so it extends a distance all around the hatch so with the ac unit mounted on the roof it would spread the weight out more would work to not cave the roof in lol.
Great idea Deryk... I'll one up that...could get some scrap fiberglass and use that instead of wood! I need to talk to Chandler about it as well. We really like the maxx aire fan so don't want to use that spot. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #37

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Considering some of their other poorly engineered features, do you think it's possible that they are just sticking on a roof top A/C unit without thinking about the structural issue of supporting it. Like, well the window unit doesn't work good, let's stick one on top. Roof mount A/C question comes up at times with the Uhauls like we have. They were not originally equipped with it but some owners have installed it. Does it work, well so far no reports of roof damage, but at least one trailer has a pole added inside as support. Time will tell.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #38

New Jersey
Registry
Heh Gretchen I will one up your one up lol. measure out the area on the flat spot on our rooftop and get a piece of plywood and some 1x2" ferring strips and mold release wax... lay out some heavy fiberglass cloth and make the rectangle shaped piece with ribs(stringers) to really reinforce the area and cut down on it being as thick to really spread the weight load of the rooftop unit. I bet that would work if they are not now adding extra reinforcement to the rooftop area. You would have to run ac power up there (right now its just 12 volt dc)

Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #39

New Jersey
Registry
Another thought is something like this I had one on my boat. Might have to be reinforced but its a thought Executive Hood Installation

Possibly a hatch cover if one was found of a similar size to the front end of a small window style ac unit. Even if you slid it in when you got to the site.

Frank on the ParkLiner page they say its a Roof-Mounted Dometic Air Conditioner not sure which model though.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #40

New Jersey
Registry
Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover - White - Fan-Tastic Vent UB1500WH - Vents - Camping World ok its 11" tall by 20" wide. The ac unit in my room is 19" wide by 12" tall. It is possible to raise it up 2" and add weatherstripping around it and like the boat unit I posted above use "L" brackets to screw down to the fiberglass and to screw into the ac unit to hold it in place. I would probably consider screwing the whole thing down onto a plywood board...only fear is the ac unit coming off...would be messy if it fell off and hit a car behind you while towing at 60mph

Tags
parkliner, vin