ParkLiner wheel wells & tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
ParkLiner wheel wells & tires

I started communicating with the company in January of this year about warranty issues, namely wheel well enlargement & battery relocation. My original plan to come down in May to get this stuff done was delayed indefinitely a week before we were leaving, and had locked in a condo.

So finally we get rescheduled for mid-July, and off I go to take the trailer down for the week they say they will need to do the work. I fly home Sunday & Gail & I return the next Friday to get the trailer. We're told we were "lucky" as they did not have to expand the wheel wells. Well, I found out why yesterday - they put smaller tires on! I didn't even notice till I went to remove the wheels yesterday to swap them out for new aluminum wheels I bought. They took the 205's off & put 185's on! Pretty cool eh? I'll have the only ParkLiner with 185's.

The stuff they did do could have easily been done in a day. Basically I just got hoodwinked.

YMMV, but be very cautious in dealings with these folks.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
DJO

Name: DJO
Trailer: Parkliner #40 something
Colorado
Registry
Very sorry to hear Frank. We are working on a situation with our camper at this moment. I'll elaborate later this week how it's been resolved or not.
DJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Are you feeling "lucky"? Probably not so much. I know I wouldn't.

How's the load carrying capacity of those 185's?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I guess they will retain their BBB rating.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 2.08.25 PM.png  
Old 08-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
How's the load carrying capacity of those 185's?
No clue. Good point, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It would have probably been less expensive to stay home and to have purchased a couple of 185 tires even if the cost came out of your own pocket. Unfortunately they did not give you that option . I have admiration for a man with your patience . My description of your situation would be far more graphic and laced with different adjectives
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

New York
I don't know if they're even trailer tires? They're Nexen SV-820.

Tire Type: Light Truck-Highway
Sidewall: Black Sidewall
Speed Rating: P
Load Index: 100
Speed Rating Translation: 94 mph
Load Index Translation: 1764 lbs.
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Could be one day pigs will fly and CP will stand behind his product. Until then, keep smilin'.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Tires are made in Korea and sold at Walmart for 90$ each.

Nexen Radial Light Truck Tires Sv820 - Buy Nexen Tires,Nexen Car Tyres,Roadstone Tyres Product on Alibaba.com

Frank I know where you are at. I went through the same stuff. It's unfortunate that they don't see the damage this kind of thing does. It will put them out of business. In my case I let folks know and I fixed the problems myself which was easier for me to do than your issue. Every time you pull into a campground you are a billboard for their product. And when folks want to know about my trailer I tell them about the poor build quality and poor customer service. Then I mention a competitor. Hang in there, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
That should be plenty of load capacity, and the speed rating means you can fly along as fast as you like without worrying about the tires.

As the axle ages and sags, if the tires again start to make contact you will then have no choice but to replace (and preferably lower or move) the axle. Hopefully that won't be the case.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Those 185's are each over 3/4 of an inch narrower than the 205's. I wonder how that will affect the trailer with side to side sway.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
That should be plenty of load capacity, and the speed rating means you can fly along as fast as you like without worrying about the tires.

As the axle ages and sags, if the tires again start to make contact you will then have no choice but to replace (and preferably lower or move) the axle. Hopefully that won't be the case.
What make of Axle does Parkliner use?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Frank I am so sorry to hear this, sadly you have been one of their best advocates. Foolish for them to purposely do such a stupid thing. I am certainly shaking my head here in Michigan and wondering what the hell have I done!!!!!!
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Tires are made in Korea and sold at Walmart for 90$ each.

Nexen Radial Light Truck Tires Sv820 - Buy Nexen Tires,Nexen Car Tyres,Roadstone Tyres Product on Alibaba.com

Frank I know where you are at. I went through the same stuff. It's unfortunate that they don't see the damage this kind of thing does. It will put them out of business. In my case I let folks know and I fixed the problems myself which was easier for me to do than your issue. Every time you pull into a campground you are a billboard for their product. And when folks want to know about my trailer I tell them about the poor build quality and poor customer service. Then I mention a competitor. Hang in there, Raz
Raz, I have more than half a mind to take a heat gun & remove the ParLiner decals. What's sad here is that we love our trailer. If the company was smart enough to be honest (#1), and support their existing customers (#2), they would have problems with growth - the good kind!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
What make of Axle does Parkliner use?
EZ Lube spindles on mine. Not a unit axle.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
Frank I am so sorry to hear this, sadly you have been one of their best advocates. Foolish for them to purposely do such a stupid thing. I am certainly shaking my head here in Michigan and wondering what the hell have I done!!!!!!
Thanks Pat. As I've said before, we love this trailer. But I am not pleased with being hoodwinked. All I can tell you is to just keep your eyes open. Make sure to have them show you that everything works before you take the trailer, then camp close by for 2 or 3 days, & take it right back & demand action if anything is not just right. Also, the new trailers have had the molds modified so the wheel wells are much larger, so right off, you avoid my major concern. I can't believe they "fixed" my wheel wells by giving me smaller tires!

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Wow! Frank I'm sorry. That is seriously messed up. Now I was told that the earlier axles are rebuildable so we shouldn't get the same problem as the axle's they are using around Thom's model. Don't know.

How did it handle on your trip back with the smaller tires?

I would seriously consider the next step and report it to their state prosecuter for consumer complaints and possibly a lawyer. The cost's you spent with travel and all would probably have covered having the wheel well's enlarged by a fiberglass company locally.

I am really sorry.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #18

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
...They took the 205's off & put 185's on! Pretty cool eh? I'll have the only ParkLiner with 185's....
Frank, When i was doing my research for our tire rub issues back in ~fall of last year i actually found, and suggested to Chandler, a light truck 185r 14 load range C tire with an 1879 lb rating. This tire was potentially much more _tire_ than the bias ply 205 rated at ~1600 lbs that came on the PL#35.
That said, the 185's alone in NO WAY took care of the tire rub. Our wheel wells were professionally enlarged by a local marine shop with design/fabrication data from Tom at Parkliner. The work was amazing and there is no rub whatsoever even in our ~200 miles of off road adventures so far this season.

Bottom line for us, the 185LT tire was actually recommended by our local Les Schwab crew as a tire they often mount on small single axle trailers under 3500lbs like ours. We totally enjoy the ride now compared to the bias ply tires. If i have a choice i will side with LT radials for light trailer use in the future. You should be happy with the difference in towing. BUT keep an eye on those wheel wells! Our 185's were making grooves before the boat yard did their magic.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:56 AM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
How did it handle on your trip back with the smaller tires?

I would seriously consider the next step and report it to their state prosecuter for consumer complaints and possibly a lawyer. The cost's you spent with travel and all would probably have covered having the wheel well's enlarged by a fiberglass company locally.

I am really sorry.
Thanks Deryk. I am really sorry too!

I ever noticed any difference in towability on the way home. Same old great tracking trailer, no change that I noticed at all.

I sent an unhappy email to Tom Bass, & must admit to being surprised that he responded. He said Chandler had made this decision & he had forwarded my email to him. Think Chandler will respond, let alone care? These guys could have a gold mine, but apparently they don't give a ray's behind.

To top it all off, I pulled the cover on our spare this morning. Guess what it is? A 205 bias belted. Guess I need to change that out.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #20

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Frank, When i was doing my research for our tire rub issues back in ~fall of last year i actually found, and suggested to Chandler, a light truck 185r 14 load range C tire with an 1879 lb rating. This tire was potentially much more _tire_ than the bias ply 205 rated at ~1600 lbs that came on the PL#35.
That said, the 185's alone in NO WAY took care of the tire rub. Our wheel wells were professionally enlarged by a local marine shop with design/fabrication data from Tom at Parkliner. The work was amazing and there is no rub whatsoever even in our ~200 miles of off road adventures so far this season.

Bottom line for us, the 185LT tire was actually recommended by our local Les Schwab crew as a tire they often mount on small single axle trailers under 3500lbs like ours. We totally enjoy the ride now compared to the bias ply tires. If i have a choice i will side with LT radials for light trailer use in the future. You should be happy with the difference in towing. BUT keep an eye on those wheel wells! Our 185's were making grooves before the boat yard did their magic.

Thom
Aha, so you're the culprit! . Really, that's good to know Thom, & makes me feel somewhat better. Those 185's are still less than 2 fingers from my wheel wells. It almost looks tighter!

Any chance your glass shop would still have the design/fabrication data from Tom at Parkliner? It would be good to have if I could get it. Bottom line is I'm on my own at this point.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner, tires