New to me boler. Starting the fix up. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1980 boler
Colorado
New to me boler. Starting the fix up.

Got this camper for a great deal. Just the cost of new tires. Owner said it had not moved since 89 but it pulled great on the way home.

Things I know I need to fix so far is the door and water tank.
The door hinges on the trailer side are starting to crack a little and the top of the door does sag. I'm not sure on how to fix the door with the cracking on the hinge spots.

The water tank was so fragile that when I went to turn the drain valve it broke off in my hand. I have removed the tank and its size is hard to find. The tank is 36"L, 22"W,5 1/2"D

I have looked around on this site and there is a lot of great information. Any help on these issues would be much appreciated. I'm excited to start the journey of restoration and joining this community!
boler4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Scott, you'll get your answers here
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
My goodness you stole it
Great deal, welcome.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Well the price was right, let the fun begin!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi Scott,

Looks like you got a great deal, even if you eventually have to refurbish practically everything. We got an '84 Burro for about that price and started fixing things right away. Just start with the things that will make it safe and campable and start using it so that you "bond" with it and are encouraged to tackle the ugly jobs. After camping in it a few times you will develop your list of priorities. Usually this list is different than what you thought at first.

We ended up doing serious work on every system in our Burro, including replacing the flooring, but we used it all along (except when the frame was off and the floor out.

So, you can live without a water tank for quite a while and still enjoy the camper, but the door needs to be secure. The hinges can be quite ugly and still function adequately, but the mounting area on the shell needs to be secure. Most of the FG campers have a wooden reinforced door hinge area which is glassed over on both sides. Often the wood is rotten inside and the mounting screws are rattling around. If this is the case then you will need to cut away the FG (on whichever side is easiest to repair cleanly) and glass in a new wood support block. Sometimes the lower support area is inside the lower base cabinet in the camper and you don't need to make the repair look perfect, just strong. But you will figure out these tricks as you work on it and get a feel for what matters.

One point to keep in mind. Try to learn ASAP if a part is replaceable or if you will need to repair what you have... Your hinges may not be available but similar ones may, but they will have a different mounting pattern. Your tank does not appear repairable. Polyethelyne and polypropylene-your tank- cannot be glued but requires "plastic welding" which is beyond most folks ability. But replacement tanks are readily available. Not in your exact size, but close. Industrial supply houses usually have these in many sizes. You can be creative with stuff that does not show.

Good luck with it and keep the questions coming as there are folks here with experience in practically everything that you will want to do to your Boler. I never would have done some of my repairs on our Burro without the help of folks on this forum.

Regards,
Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Congrats Scott. Make sure you check the bearings repack or replace as needed. Also check the frame at the front under the front of the Boler. They tend to crack in that area. Have it welded as soon as possible.

Have fun making it your own.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1980 boler
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Congrats Scott. Make sure you check the bearings repack or replace as needed. Also check the frame at the front under the front of the Boler. They tend to crack in that area. Have it welded as soon as possible.

Have fun making it your own.
Thanks for the advice. At first glance I haven't seen any damage so far but I will check it over more thoroughly.

Sent from my HTC One using Fiberglass RV mobile app
boler4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler