CA SOLD 1989 Bigfoot B17 Great shape! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
SOLD 1989 Bigfoot B17 Great shape!

We are selling Daisy after 2 plus years owning it. We have enjoyed going out and creating many memories but we've decided our current situation is better suited with a new challenge of an older VW camper to tinker (a lot) on and create new memories. We currently have to keep it in storage and find that it doesn't get a much use as we would like so it's time for someone else to enjoy this beautiful egg.

The trailer was restored by the previous owner, who put a lot of work into improving, repairing and cleaning the whole trailer. He did this with the intention of keeping it but alas things do change. He created a baby book of the restoration process which comes with the trailer as well as a pile of receipts. Original owner and other manuals included. I will try and list what he did along with a few things we added while owning it.

The layout is a 4 person dinette at the front which converts to a bed. Another bed is where the bench seat along the passenger side converts to a 2 person bed, this is the one we used all the time. Above is storage and another bed but really only for a small child to use.

It has a 4 burner stove, an oven, a sink and newer Norcold 2.7 cu ft. 3 way fridge, It also has a propane heater with thermostat. This model has a toilet and sink but no hot water or shower. I thought we might miss that but really haven't. On trips we use park showers or wash off with a cloth.

So here is what was done to the trailer:

New rear heavy duty bumper with hitch. Painted black, Sewer line fits inside, comes with trailer.

Spare tire carrier fitted to bumper. Spare tire is 3 yrs new with cover.

We added a rear camera to the license plate frame, works great, no need to add mirrors, which were a pain to keep adjusted. We installed a stereo with display and have the rear camera on when using it.

All outlets, vents, outside lights, lenses were replaced.

AC shroud replaced

Converter replaced, additional outlets added

Most window seals were replaced, all frames painted black. No leaks, All screens present. Sliding windows perform as expected.

We replaced some of the interior lights with LEDs. Fluorescent ones still are.

Newer tires and white spoke wheels, brakes, bearings were redone. Axle is original but is in working order.

Gas props for front window cover replaced.
Bottom of trailer was painted black to protect against decay.

2 propane tanks and battery reside under front shell on tongue. Battery fitted with on/off switch to prevent accidental drainage. Propane lines replaced.

All decals have been removed, you can see some discoloration from where they were, plan was to reapply new ones but actually we like it the way it is.

Wiring inside was redone and PO added some features to make connections easier, not sure of all of what he did here but he was pretty proud of it. :-)

Aux fan installed behind fridge to help cooling, accessed from vent on outside.

Water lines were replaced. Currently there might be a small leak in one of the lines under the sink at a T joint. Noticed some water leaking on our last trip. I tried sealing it up but not sure if it worked. The proper repair would not be difficult, just need to remove sink to get better access to this joint.

Original upholstery and curtains, with new blinds. Foam in cushions were replaced, including 1" of memory foam.

Porch light replaced.

Tongue has anti-sway hook up, trailer hitch with ball attachment for it included.

Outside has been waxed a few times with the floor polish. Looks pretty good still.

We added stabilizing jacks in the front and rear, much easier now to just crank them down.

We added small skid wheels near rear bumper replacing worn original metal ones

We also got a Calmark custom cover for it. Great quality.

Also includes original awning, slides into groove on roof line, attach two metal poles. Trailer mirrors,

Bathroom door removed and replaced with an accordion door. We have the door and will include it.

Overall trailer is in great condition, the construction is very solid, the interior cabinets are (I believe) plywood with an oak veneer. It gets noticed and people are quite surprised to find out it is an 89. It really does not look like it, but you have a unique, vintage trailer. We have maybe seen one or two others on the road.

So what does it need? Maybe a new battery, I accidentally let it get down pretty low when the plug was not fully connected to the truck. May not be holding a charge well, but not sure as we've using hookups. The floor is original and looking a little worn. We were looking at installing a cork floor. small area does't need much material. Possible water line repair under sink as mentioned above. Otherwise it is complete and ready to go.

We felt very fortunate to find one that had so much effort put into it and we have tried to maintain it during our ownership. I hope that it goes to a new owner who will enjoy it and continue keeping it up.

Images coming soon, once I figure this out...

We are in Folsom, CA

916 225-1008

$9,000 obo
Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

California
Registry
I added some pics to my album, is there a way to link to it? More coming soon.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
This will get folks started...then click "next".

Fiberglass RV - Pomfritz's Album: 1989 17G - Picture
Old 01-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #4

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Wow, I'm in awe! Beautiful re-do/upgrades.

If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to my 1988 Bigfoot 17DLX, I'd be seriously considering yours.

Thanks for all the pictures; I saw several ideas I'd like to incorporate on mine. Really liked the gizmo that keeps the door securely open (sometimes it's the little things that are the most impressive). HA!

I'm sure you'll have no problem selling this beauty. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #5

California
Registry
Thanks for the help on that!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #6

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Best pics I have ever seen in an ad and I just love the look without the decals. Very nice, someone is getting a great trailer.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Nest??
California
super nice looking trailer. Do you (or anyone else) have any idea what it would take to add hot water heater and possibly convert to a wet bath and/or exterior shower? Is there utility space that would accommodate this, or?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #8

California
Registry
I don't you could add a shower without some serious mods. Some bigfoots came with one. I would imagine some type of instant hot water heater could be installed. There is a bunch of storage under the gaucho seating area where it might fit. The grey water tank probably would not accommodate a shower though, okay if you were hooked up.

Instead of a shower what we wold sometimes do, and even at home due to a severe drought are "Bronner baths" A couple squirts of Dr Bronner peppermint soap on a bowl of warm water. soak a washcloth in it and wipe down. Very effective and refreshing.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomfritz View Post
Instead of a shower what we wold sometimes do, and even at home due to a severe drought are "Bronner baths" A couple squirts of Dr Bronner peppermint soap on a bowl of warm water. soak a washcloth in it and wipe down. Very effective and refreshing.
Ahh, someone else who uses Dr Bronner Thanks for suggesting the "Bronner baths". I've been using his soap exclusively since bathing in hot springs when bicycle camping several years ago and should have thought of the "Bronner bath" when trailer camping.
2012 4Runner Ltd
Old 01-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
If that Bigfoot lived in Florida it would be sitting in my yard SOLD...
Some one will get a nice rig!!!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #11

California
Registry
Added pics of the interior to the gallery.

Okay not sure how to link to a gallery, pm;y get one image to show up. Use link in earlier reply to get there. Or click on my profile and the album will be there.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #12

Name: Whaler
Trailer: '89 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho
British Columbia
Registry
If U still have it when my Boler sells, I'll make U an offer for sure
Old 01-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #13

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Wow! Nice Bigfoot.

I see it has a Norcold refrigerator. What model is it? Those are nice.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #14

California
Registry
The fridge is a N300X 3 way 2.7 Cu Ft.

Works really well it will freeze your stuff if you set it too low.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #15

California
Registry
Update: The battery seems to be fine. Took it off and tested it at 11+ volts, hooked it up to a charger and now reading 13.13 volts.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: In The Market
Ontario
Hi hello..thanks for info..though..can't seem to download any pics at all..it's me..I know..any suggestions?..bob

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #17

California
Registry
There is reply in this thread shortly after my initial post with a link to the photos.

Or click on my profile and look for th albums link and go in through there. If neither are working for you let me know and I will do something else , maybe sen d yo a bunch or put them in an online album. I think you should be able to see them through this forum as others have been able to.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Your Trailer

Hi Gary and Sonja:

What a great description of your trailer. I'm new to the forum and just posted a greeting under "Hi I'm." Please read my post there done an hour ago to see what I am looking for in a trailer. I could live with the no shower .

You've been very honest in your listing. I like the fact that your trailer has been nicely restored and you've made some improvements too. Also, your within a days drive from my house. As I am not a fixer up kind of a guy I wonder if your trailer might be good for me? My wife will also be one of its users but it will mostly be just myself and sometimes our dog.

How big of a bed do you get out of the side seat?

Steve
Old 01-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Steve,

I have a 1989 BF as well, similar to Gary & Sonja's but with the full bath. The gaucho converts into a bed that is 42-in X 76-in.

The dinette bunk is 43-in X 78-in.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #20

California
Registry
I will get back to you in a bit. I need to go to where it is stored to measure.

Tags
bigfoot