1982 Perris Pacer Renovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Here's a few shots of the PP now under "reconstruction."

This is how it looked when I got it home...
Attached Images

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Registry
Here's how it looks currently after initial strip down and demo...

Attached Images

Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
Cool! I'll be interested to see how this evolves.

Just curious (since I have this on my mind): who does your upholstery?
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Love what you are doing Robert!! Now I know what the inside of mine looked like at one time...
Will be very interesting to watch the progress.
Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Cool! I'll be interested to see how this evolves.

Just curious (since I have this on my mind): who does your upholstery?

If, by "upholstery" you mean cushions, I use a local guy here in Bend.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Registry
New Reflectix insulation throughout the interior of the shell.

All new 12V and 120V wiring, including DOT wiring and interior applications. New American 20amp converter, and on-board battery.

New LED tail and marker lights.

Custom frame modifications.

New Dexter axle with e-brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
NuBackwLEDs.jpg   NuFoilBack.jpg  

NuPower.jpg   NuUtilityPorts2.jpg  

SideMrkrWatrFillr.jpg   ReferVents.jpg  

Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Who's the dude peeking in the window? Nice work.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Looking good!

Is this being built around a specific owner's choices; or are you going to rehab it and then put it up for sale. I'm asking not as a potential buyer but just because it's interesting to know how you're choosing parts and where/how to put them. (e.g. sometimes if you already have an owner then they are making a lot of the choices.)

Since people often ask about this, what did you use to adhere the Reflectix to the shell? (And if you tried any products that did not work, what were they?)

Thanks for posting your progress,

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Registry
Hi Raya,

This trailer will be put up for sale when I've finished. No potential buyer at this time. That said, the design and part choices are strictly to meet my own standards of aesthetics and craftsmanship. The intent of this renovation is to exceed the fit/finish and amenities of that when the PP was brand new. Hopefully, someone down the road will appreciate those decisions.

After proper prep, I used 3M 90 (really strong) to adhere the Reflectix to the shell. Aluminum tape seals all edges and seams.

Thanks for your interest and support.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #10

Hi Robert,

Sounds like a fun project. I've never understood why so many travel trailers are made with such (in my opinion) cheesy decor/parts quality. I know there are exceptions to this, but.... so many are similar. So yay for you in bucking that trend (Yeah, I know that most RV's are made up of parts sourced from a common pool of manufacturers, but it just seems there's so little creative/aesthetic/quality use of materials.) (And, thank goodness we have our neat little fiberglass shells, which are fun to renovate.)

And thanks for the 3M 90 note. Last year we went through three or four 3M spray adhesives before we found one that worked (and *stayed* working) when we were re-adhering some wall covering to a boat. A number of them worked until the boat heated up in the sun and then.... I think we either had success with the 3M 90 or possibly one other one - will have to look back in my notes now as I'm curious.

As a native Minnesotan I loves me my 3M products, but I find that it can be exasperating comparing their many products, and trying to find out where any one product lands on a continuum as compared with other 3M products. When you call their tech people, even they sometimes seem confused!

I think it's a combination of two things: They produce specialty products for many different industries (Marine, Automotive, etc.); and they tend not to "retire" products that experienced pros know and love (and buy). So they end up with a lot of different-yet-similar things, with names that are very similar but not exactly the same. Good stuff, but sometimes aggravating to choose the right one(s).

Raya
Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
I've never understood why so many travel trailers are made with such (in my opinion) cheesy decor/parts quality. I know there are exceptions to this, but.... so many are similar. So yay for you in bucking that trend (Yeah, I know that most RV's are made up of parts sourced from a common pool of manufacturers, but it just seems there's so little creative/aesthetic/quality use of materials.) (And, thank goodness we have our neat little fiberglass shells, which are fun to renovate.

Right you are! I also realize that many folks try to re-do their trailers "on the cheap" and I know this can be half the fun! I too try to be as fiscally realistic in my approach to renovation, but I believe that, in the long run, quality trumps cheap.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Great looking job so far. Looking forward to seeing shots of the completed project.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Registry
Perris Pacer Project Progress Post:

Well, I have the fiberglass interior modules refinished; the new wall covering is completely installed; and the new frames, doors and wood trim are on their way.

The wall covering is an interesting fabric from PerfectFit, generically referred to as "Cabinet Liner." Not a very sexy name, but a terrific product. It has a polyester fiber base that's been coated with a polymer and stamped with a texture that resembles woven cloth. It's made to be durable and easily cleaned, and has no knap, which I like a lot. It's pretty stiff, so going around curves has been tricky, but do-able. The color is a neutral one that I'd call "wheat," which works great with the white fiberglass interior modules.

After all of the Reflectix was installed and seamed, I used 3M 90 spray glue to attach carefully measured pieces of the wall covering to the insulation. Then I used contact cement to glue strips of the same material to cover the seams and edges. Turned out great.

In keeping with my belief that the interiors of these little trailers look best when the colors are kept light and bright, I'm using a natural maple plywood for the cabinet doors, frames and other trim.

Attached Thumbnails
WallCov.jpg   FrntCurv.jpg  

CU_con_etc.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #14

Hi Robert,

Enjoying watching the progress And I always come up with a few questions!

The cabinet liner/wall covering looks interesting. I like that it doesn't have a carpety nap. Would you say it's wipe-downable? Or 409-able? Or is it more papery? Would it dent (and not spring back) if something pressed against it?

My other question is about the refinishing of the interior modules. It looks like they're fiberglass, a la Boler or Scamp: Did you repaint them? If so, what kind of paint and how did you apply it?

Thanks for your time, and for thinking outside the RV box

Raya
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
The cabinet liner/wall covering looks interesting. I like that it doesn't have a carpety nap. Would you say it's wipe-downable? Or 409-able? Or is it more papery? Would it dent (and not spring back) if something pressed against it?

My other question is about the refinishing of the interior modules. It looks like they're fiberglass, a la Boler or Scamp: Did you repaint them? If so, what kind of paint and how did you apply it?

Hi Raya,

According to the distributor (PerfectFit) this wall covering was engineered to be easily cleaned. On its own it does not dent, but because I have it affixed over Refectix, there is some obvious flex when pressed. If, however, this material was applied to a hard surface there would be no give whatsoever.

Yes, the modules were repainted using Rustoleum "Appliance" paint. A tip I picked up here on the Forum. Good prep is a must, obviously.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Looks good, Robert.

Is that an exterior 110V, 12V or 7-way connector that you labeled 'Electric Port'?
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Looks good, Robert.

Is that an exterior 110V, 12V or 7-way connector that you labeled 'Electric Port'?

That's my 120V shore power hook-up. I call it a port because I have a separate "extension" cord that plugs into both the supply (male end) and then into the trailer (female end), rather than pulling a "coiled" cord out through the shell and to the shore power supply.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
That's my 120V shore power hook-up. I call it a port because I have a separate "extension" cord that plugs into both the supply (male end) and then into the trailer (female end), rather than pulling a "coiled" cord out through the shell and to the shore power supply.
Very neat. I like the looks of that cover. Would you mind sharing the manufacturer / supplier?

I am looking for a small hatch / receptacle for the door side of the trailer. I'm thinking of putting it where the gravity fill hatch was originally as this is being replaced by a locked city / gravity hatch combo on the utility side of the trailer.
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #19

Thanks for the info

Raya
Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Registry
I think I found the "power port" at one of my local RV/Marine stores. The name "Marinco" is molded into the rubber cap. I see that Amazon.com has them...

As to access hatches, they're are lots of options online, mostly via Marine/Boat related sites. I don't remember where I got this one, but I like it's relatively small size: approx. 14.5" x 8.5". Typically our eggs have a water tank under the curbside bench, and don't have much room for anything else. So a hatch on that side doesn't seem too practical. In many cases, hookup utilities are often routed into the streetside bench, (and with the DOT clearance light) don't provide much room for a big hatch door.

Attached Thumbnails
PowerPort.jpg   Hatch.jpg  

Tags
perris pacer