Oliver or Escape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Name: Madalyn
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Oliver or Escape?

For those that have seen or own either an Oliver or Escape, if you could purchase new, what one would you order and why?

I know both are wonderful and Oliver tells me they should have their new model on display and plant open for tours in October. As they are in TN, I could easily drive there to visit an get a good feel for their unit.

As Escape is in Canada, I will have to rely on any input and comments from those of you who so kindly respond to my question.

Thanks,

Madalyn
Madalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm going (eventually) with Escape which is about half the price of an Oliver, I like the layout better and besides... Oliver doesn't make a 5th wheel!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Price is one of the big differences.

You dont need to rely on our input just give Escape a call and ask them to refer you to someone in your area with an Escape you can go take a look at unless of course you are looking at the new 21'..... but a seeing a 19' would help you either way.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you call escape they can try to find one in your Home state to look at. Maybe not the new 21 though. What size were you pondering? Edit I see Carol beat me to it. Would a bigfoot also be in the running for you?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Madalyn,
Do you or have you joined the Escape forum- here Escape Trailer Owners Community
here you will find the owners talking about their Escapes. I have owned 6 campers in the past 5 years and purchased my first Escape last year. Sight unseen, and 3000 miles away from the factory. I did this based upon one common thread offered by Escape and no one else, Airstream which costs almost double nor Oliver which costs almost 50% more than an Escape. It is the ability to personalize or customize the interior to make it exactly the way you want it. Escape will do this, move outlets, install extra windows, install solar, 12v outlets, switch stoves, just about anything you can think of they will do(within limits). I sold my 2012 Escape after owning it for 9 months and ordered the new Escape 21, why, because I want a rear dinette. But I'm keeping most of my options I had done to my Escape 19'. If you have any questions, join the Escape forum, ask them. I'm aware of at least 3 Escape owners in your area who maybe willing to show you their Escape so you can see first hand the quality. Something else, Escapes also retain their value due to their high demand. They only have a few open slots left in 2013 calendar for the Escape 19' production.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

North Carolina
Thanks everyone for the inputs! I contacted Escape and they sent me the names of owners in NC who I can contact to see their units. I also joined all of the fiberglass forums and the Escape forum.I am new to the RV way of life and have been doing tons of research and reading all of the forums to learn as much as I can. All I can say is that these forums are wonderful and I am learning so much.
I like to research and do my homework before making any rash decisions and I am more of a visual person so seeing things up close and personal will help me tremendously!

Madalyn
Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Madalyn: Sounds like you know what you are doing. I would see both of them. Nothing is worse than buying something then seeing something else and wishing you had bought it. Also, keep in mind that most owners think their unit is the best one and it is, for them. Both of the units you are considering appear to be top notch.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Madalyn,
There's no doubt you should buy what you believe best fills your needs. The reality is that it's not necessarily which you buy but what you do with it.

In some sense it's like marriage. Once you've chosen a quality person, stick with the person is often the best choice even if the next quality person is a little better or a little different. All the fiberglass trailers are really capable of a really good time.

The best bet is visiting a fiberglass trailer rally. There you csn see everything and possibly more important talk to people for hours.

Nothing beats finding someone with a trailer who will let you camp in their typicallyy unused trailer for a week.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Wish I had seen this when we were in NC on a camping trip this weekend. We had three Olivers camping together for a fun time. Have you joined the Oliver Travel Trailers facebook page?
Our forum is small, but if you'd like to join the Oliver forum, just send me a pm here at fiberglassrv
Good luck with your search, and happy camping.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

North Carolina
Well, the great debate is over as my DH just purchased a 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe as an early 33rd Anniversary present for me! He got such a great deal on it ($12.5K) and it's loaded with most of the upgraded options.I figure we can start with the Casita and if we use it and enjoy the RV lifestyle, we can sell her and get most of our money back and then upgrade once we retire in Dec 2015 (maybe he will buy me an Oliver or Escape for Christmas of 2015)!
We both retired from the Air Force some years back and are currently waiting to take an early retirement from the Fed Govt jobs we currently have. We don't reach the minimum retirement age until 2015 so our vacation time is limited right now.
He knew how much I wanted/obcessed over the FG Eggs that he thought buying something used to get us started would make me happy and all I can say is, he was spot on, I think I'll keep him!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
Well, the great debate is over ......
Love your avatar.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
COOL BEANS! Your new-to-you Casita will provide you a ton of memories. Pictures?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Congratulations Madalyn.

Has anyone told you that you look a lot like Lucille Ball?..........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Madalyn! What a great gift! And you are right about the resale if that's in the cards. Plus, having the Casita to use now will help you learn what you need and don't in your next trailer... Enjoy!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
What a great deal! Now you can get out there and enjoy some camping in your egg!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Congrats on your Casita! Happy camping.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #17

North Carolina
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Congratulations Madalyn.

Has anyone told you that you look a lot like Lucille Ball?..........LOL
LOL Carl,

My husband thinks I am just like her, he says everyday is a new adventure in our household and he never knows waht to expect! He actually calls me Lucy and I call him Ricardo, that's why I used the profile pic.

I will have that picture on display somewhwere in our egg. Now I need to decide on a name for said egg!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
For what it's worth, you could load up an Escape, which is a very nice unit, with all the extras they have and still not be equal to an Oliver. I think you would be at about the same price as well.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It appears to me that the question should be Oliver or Airstream. Both are considered "Luxury Class".
Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It appears to me that the question should be Oliver or Airstream. Both are considered "Luxury Class".
Byron, I sold my Airstream Bambi 16' DWR when I discovered the 17 Oliver Elite. I was able to sell the 2008 AS and buy a lightly used 2008 Oliver all in one month. I have never looked back. Although the AS DWR was way cool, it had so many build and maintenance problems that I could see it would be a ton of work to keep up with. This is my second year owning the Oliver and so far it has only needed minor attention, like light bulbs, and I did replace the TV with a new 19inch Jensen. None of the constant leaks and popped rivets, not to mention the edges of the drawers and cabinets coming off that I had with the AS.

I also feel much better about taking the Oliver off the beaten path to those really cool places that AS's can't go.

I might add that the Oliver is not as wide as the AS and does not need the add on mirrors to see around it. It tows without a fancy hitch better than my AS did with the fancy weight distributing expensive hitch.

I could go on an on why the Oliver is way better than my AS, but I won't.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, oliver