Advice Needed: Fixing Boler Shape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Cameron
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Advice Needed: Fixing Boler Shape

I'll start out by saying it's not too bad, but I think it's beyond reasonable proper repair without full cabinet removal. But here goes.

Previous owners had a new frame built due to the OG breaking while towing. I believe the body got damaged at the rear under the road side bench at that time. The fibreglass bulges up there. We're in the process of removing what we need to currently to paint and restore some of the interior so I have a jack set up supporting the roof currently so I could remove the support iron for refinishing. The rivet hole for the support were badly egged out and not solid any longer so I'm assuming there is sag on that side. Upon jacking up I could tell there is quite a bit of movement there. So I guess my questions would be. How would you reinstall the supports? Is there a way to tell when the body is back in its original shape before putting supports back in place?

BennyTheBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #2

Alberta
Or if someone has a known good shape, original boler or scamp 13' could they be so kind as to measure some stuff for me? Like distance from the main floor to the ceiling, one wall to the other near the supports in the middle, possibly the counter top to the bottom of the cabinets? Thank you in advance for the awesome individual who can do this for me.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Sheila
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Nova Scotia
Thumbs up '72 Boler in Nova Scotia!! Her measurements are HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTheBoler View Post
Or if someone has a known good shape, original boler or scamp 13' could they be so kind as to measure some stuff for me? Like distance from the main floor to the ceiling, one wall to the other near the supports in the middle, possibly the counter top to the bottom of the cabinets? Thank you in advance for the awesome individual who can do this for me.
The measurements I took in my Boler are such:

Floor to Ceiling 5' 11 1/4 " OR 71.25 cm
Wall to Wall 6' 5 " 75.58 cm
Counter to Floor 35.4 " 90 cm
Ceiling to Counter 32 " 81.28 cm

I hope these are what you are looking for and keeping in mind that the Boler has had it's share of bumps and grinds. Not the least of which a roof cave in because of heavy snow and ice!!!! (It popped back by itself one hot summer day!!)
Sheilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #4

Alberta
That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much Sheila!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #5

Name: Sheila
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Nova Scotia
You're quite welcome, I hope that helped.
Sheilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #6

Name: Lise
Washington
From Countertop to Bottom of Upper Cabinets Measurement?

Bear with me - completely newbie to both trailers/campers and fiberglass, so here goes.

The measurements posted above are definitely valuable to me, trying to restore and undo some poorly previously done installs by a previous owner on my 13' 1975 Boler. One measurement in particular I am looking for: what is the "ideal" distance between the top of the lower countertop (where the sink and stove are) the bottom of the upper cabinets above it? The previous owner had installed upper cabinets, but never put in the supports (tho he did include them when we bought it). It obviously never had any, since there are no holes for them on either cabinet piece. The front of the counter-to-upper measures currently at approx 19.5", while in the back, against the wall it measures approx 20.25". What SHOULD it be? I'm more than willing to gently prop her up on the inside to correct it, but want to make sure I get the measurements right the first time.

Thank you in advance!! I've been combing the forums for months trying to find these measurements. I may have missed them in a post somewhere tho, so sorry if these have already been answered elsewhere. Trying to straighten this little egg back out before jumping into any modifications we want to do.
LiseSilverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Keep in mind that bolers were produced in many places over the years with some "design" changes. Measurements from one may not match measurements from another.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I take a unique approach for this task . Go to the store (thrift stores often have them) and get an adjustable shower curtain rod, the one for shower stalls, not the long one for bathtubs. If you already have one borrow it from the bathroom. Then set it in place, push up on the cabinets and have a helper extend the rod and twist it so it locks. Go outside and look at the curves on the roof. Too low, repeat the process, too high adjust again. When the shape on the outside looks right take a measurement from the counter top to cabinet bottom and create your new permanent support. Use the adjustable rod to hold up the cabinet just a little high to make it easy to slide the permanent bracket in place. Then twist it to release the tension and it will contract to come out easily. Sometimes we don't realize that everyday objects can make handy helper assist tools.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Your confusion is not that surprising. Maxxaire makes a number of styles of vent covers and many of those covers are fixed and do not move.

The version that adjust up and down as described by the poster is the Maxxfan deluxe series. Here it is a review in a video that shows the dimensions and how it works.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler