Best tow vehicle for Lil Snoozy? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #41

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel P View Post
Hello!

We have just placed our order for a Lil Snoozy and now have to purchase a tow vehicle. (We have never towed anything, so this is all foreign territory to us.)
I just came across a great guide to towing that explains just about everything you need to know. It's worth some time to study it before you buy a tug.. GL!
http://www.jayco.com/files/pages/002...wing-guide.pdf
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For our AZ, NV and CA friends.

Have any of you done the Davis Dam run? On Davis Dam road are Semis always doing 35 mph or better? Also a great part of the standard is about trailers/truck combinations almost like there's a bias towards trucks as tow vehicles.

SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard
No but my Falcon made the Kessel Run in under 12parsecs and it is only 5% of a Millennium old!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #43

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Kessel Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
No but my Falcon made the Kessel Run in under 12parsecs and it is only 5% of a Millennium old!
Was that going toward or away from the Brungon Dark Hole? You will have a shorter run going towards it because it really sux. LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #44

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
OK, assuming we haven't scared her off let's trying to steer this back towards the OP's original question, I'm in the same place you are and your TV shopping list is very similar to my own so let me share some personal perspective and some thoughts. It seems like you have done your homework in terms of towing capacity. With all due respect to several of the posts above all of the vehicles you mentioned are rated to handle a Lil' Snoozy if properly equipped. So your half way home.

First, I owned a 98 Tacoma and it was without question the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. 10 years, 210000 miles and with the exception of a ball joint all it ever needed was gas, oil, 1 set of shocks and 2 sets of brake pads. Mine was the TRD version and it was great in any amount of snow and since I owned a farm it was worked hard and taken off road on a regular basis. Great truck.

Having said that the 2015 is due for a much needed update that is coming in 2016. As I sat in the 2015 version I was dumbstruck that if you just swapped the CD player for a cassette deck it was almost identical inside to my truck from 17 years earlier. Probably still just as much of a work horse but the interior was no comparison to the Chevy Colorado I also test drove.

Now the Chevy is a new truck so no one knows how reliable it will be. Reviews look good but who knows how they will turn out in the long run. I was impressed with the fit and finish when I drove one. Surprisingly close to the Toyota's you mention. It's not on your list but I would at the very least take a look at one before buying a 2015 Tacoma.

As others have stated Jeeps reliability numbers have always been iffy. I have also owned a sport model Cherokee (smaller than the Grand) and it was fun to drive, legendary in the dirt of course and expensive to maintain.

Hyundia's seem to be a good value but I didn't drive one. I'm looking for something that I can full time in and plan to be predominantly in the mountain west and I was concerned about the size of their dealer network. Perhaps unfounded but I didn't consider it for long. Your circumstances will probably be different.

This brings us to the 4 runner and the Highlander. Both of these are now on my short list. They seem to have everything I want but prices for both are towards the top of your list. (surprise!! ) The 4 runner has more storage but costs a bit more. The Highlander had more of a car like ride due to it's unibody construction. That can be good or bad depending on what your looking for but the difference in ride quality was noticeable. Both seemed very high quality and should hold their value well.

Also not on your list is the new Ford F-150. Despite my original prejudice against a full size pickup I'm beginning to reconsider. At 26 MPG it is better or in the same ball park as almost all of the smaller vehicles I compared it against. Price wise it's a bit more than a Tacoma and less than a 4 runner. Larger turn radius of course but I'm not sure how much that will enter into the real world use when I get out there. Also if I ever get 2footitis I should be covered.

Like you I'm still in the research phase which is fun. I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When considering a full-size pickup, have you noticed that the parking spaces in the mall lots, Safeway etc. seem to be getting more narrow?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #46

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
When considering a full-size pickup, have you noticed that the parking spaces in the mall lots, Safeway etc. seem to be getting more narrow?
Yea, I have Glen. I'm also having a hard time picturing myself in a full size truck. That of course says more about me than the vehicle. But when I put it on paper it seems to make sense so I thought I'd mention it to the OP.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you're not interested in off road travel, a mini-van makes a great tow vehicle, always really comfortable, gets good towing mileage and great non-towing mileage with lots of useful room.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:17 AM   #48
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
So true. We were at the local home show last week and we parked near a dual cab pickup. It was sticking out into the road way so far that other vehicles were getting jammed up trying to get around it. Also it was so close to the cars beside it no doubt door dings would be inevitable.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #49

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
LOL the last time I had to drive another family members full sized truck to Safeway I ended up parking more than a block away!

As it is even with my mid sized truck I at times have trouble finding a spot to get into - in urban areas they are repainting many parking lots so that the lane ways between rows and the spots themselves are getting smaller and smaller.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #50

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Rachel, Congrats on the Snoozy. Clever design, comfortable living space. You're going to love it. As for your working list of tow vehicles, you've probably already received more advise in this thread than you need, but I'll throw in my two cents for the heck of it. My wife and I have had both a 4Runner (1988) and Highlander (2002; current go-to tow vehicle) and have loved both of them- both while towing and while not towing. In the past, we've looked long and hard at a variety of Jeep models that we think look ruggedly cool, but Consumer Reports' (yes, I know some people hate CR, but we value their testing and insight) ratings for Jeep reliability always end up turning us away. That, and Jeep dealers around these parts just won't come off the sticker price. (Their attitude has always seemed to be that if we won't pay full price, the next person in the showroom door will.) We've never driven a Santa Fe, but that's what the original owners (seasoned travelers) of our EggCamper pulled with, and they said it was a great tow vehicle for them. Regarding the Tacoma, we are much in line with Dennis (post #5) regarding the Nissan Frontier. We've looked at and compared the current offerings of both Tacoma and Frontier, and to us, while the Tacoma has more glitzy whistles and bells and is a favorite among many, we feel you get more functionality for less money with the Frontier. When the time comes to replace our Highlander, we'll certainly take another close look at the Frontier, but in reality, we'll probably get another Highlander because the SUV format better fits our lifestyle when we're not camping - including more climate-controlled interior space for our four-legged friends, long interior cabin accommodates fishing poles and gear for a quick trip to the lake, and all can be locked secure inside if we stop off somewhere along the way for a meal, etc., etc. And we have a little flatbed trailer for towing bigger things that one might otherwise need a pickup for (like moving a washer/dryer, etc.). So, my suggestion would be for you to test drive a Frontier and a Highlander. Can't go wrong either way (IMHO). Oh, and ditto the previous posts on how much more difficult it is getting to be to get full-sized pickups into shopping mall parking spaces. Especially long-frame, 4-wheel drive (wide turning radius) models like our Ford F250 supercab with 8' bed! Happy hunting for a new tow vehicle, and enjoy that Snoozy.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #51

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
So, my suggestion would be for you to test drive a Frontier and a Highlander. Can't go wrong either way (IMHO).
While I agree with the suggestion regarding the Frontier over the Tacoma, I would suggest that the advise given regarding the Toyota Tacoma being in need/due for a major make over is the same with the Frontier. Nissan is actually going to be turning out a restyled one in 2016 Its going to also have a new engine design & options which is rumoured to include a diesel option. So if you don't want to own a truck that looks old style within a year you may want to hold off purchasing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #52

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But the flip side is not wanting to buy a new design in it's first year of production. It's a lose-lose situation.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #53

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
I love my F150 for driving, but love my Fiesta for parking. We'll be towing our egg this year with a 2013 Ford Escape rated for 3500#s. It's a very nice car for traveling, & not difficult to park.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #54

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I've been following the Frontier body re-model, and it looks like Nissan is basically planning to refit their current Asian/European model "Navara" to meet US safety and emission standards. Google it to take a look. To my eyes, other than the traditional Nissan "V" grill, the Navara looks more like a current Tacoma than the current US style Frontier. Some Frontier fans may like that, some may not. As for Nissan introducing a diesel engine option (which many on this forum already know I'm a big diesel fan), I believe Nissan is planning to introduce their new "big" 5.0L Cummins diesel engine as an option in the Titan for 2016, and if well received, they will have a "small" 2.8L Cummins diesel available as an option in the Frontier for 2017 (if anyone has an industry confirmed update on that, please let me know). Anyway, I don't think the new Snoozy owners who started this thread will want to wait two years before taking their rig out for its maiden run.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy