Another Captain Window Question!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Name: Linnea
Trailer: Captain
Manitoba
Another Captain Window Question!!

Hello everyone!

I came across this site while looking for replacement windows for a Captain camper we just bought.

I can't believe this camper is such a little collector's item!!

We actually bought this camper to convert into an ice fishing shack. Now, after seeing all these restoration blogs, I'm not quite sure we should be cutting holes in the floor if this camper.

I posted an add in our local classifieds with a subject line of 'Wanted: Piece of Crap Camper' when we got the reply for someone that was storing a camper for a friend. The friend was willing to let the camper go for $100 only he wanted the fridge and stove out of it. We saw one picture and said SOLD!!

So now our problem is the windows. The front and back and two side windows are broken. I see that replacing the windows with original windows just isn't really an option.

So my question to everyone that has fixed up a Captain/Cadet.... what are the other alternatives?? Would a regular RV place be able to put windows in that would work?

Thank you all for your help!

Linnea

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Linnea, Unfortunately, I can't offer advise about the Cadet windows, but please accept my congratulations on rescuing it! They are not easy to find and I'd say its a trailer worth fixing up (ooooh please don't cut a hole in it for an ice shanty)
You'd be surprised how well it will clean up - just go over it with a scrubby, soap and pressure wash, and it will gleam. Hopefully, someone on this forum can provide advise about your windows. Good luck and welcome to the group
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I am not sure if I am remembering correctly, so someone help me out. Isn't this a trailer that was made in Eastern Europe where they still make them? If so, would they have windows?

CindyL

OK, I did remember correctly. Check out: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/cadet-36901.html
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anything is possible given enough time, effort and money. You could always have windows and frames made to fit. It looks like the Captain has flat sides, so fitting a window wouldn't be too difficult. If you find windows of a reasonable size, and are willing to do some fiberglass if the windows are too small, you might get by pretty inexpensively (in the grand scheme of things).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #5

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I am not sure if I am remembering correctly, so someone help me out. Isn't this a trailer that was made in Eastern Europe where they still make them? If so, would they have windows?

CindyL

OK, I did remember correctly. Check out: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/cadet-36901.html
Cindy,

From what I've read on this site I could get the windows for this campers... although for each window I'd be looking at about $500.

Donna,

I think it might be a bit of a cost. It's the two big front and back and the two small side windows. I don't mind the cost so much though... as long as it's fixed up properly.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #6

Check out eBay, when I mentioned something in a reasonable size: rv windows items - Get great deals on Home Garden, eBay Motors items on eBay.com!

BTW: where is Waldersee?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #7

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Check out eBay, when I mentioned something in a reasonable size: rv windows items - Get great deals on Home Garden, eBay Motors items on eBay.com!

BTW: where is Waldersee?
I will check that out.

I meant to change my location! Realized I didn't put the Province. I'm in Manitoba, Canada.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #8

You may also want to check out the link here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post209161
Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Artimis,

Good luck with your restoration. Please post pix as you work. It should make a nice little trailer to camp in.
Sorry about your ice fishing loss.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #10

Manitoba
Okay, I'm going to disappoint a few of you I know. But after much consideration we are going to still go with the ice fishing shack; however, I've put my foot down and said that it needs to be done properly.

I'd like to leave the tables/beds in place and make the camper kind of a mobile tent for summer time. We have a cabin and I like the idea of being able to pull the Captain there when as place for visitors to stay.

We originally were going to put some clear vinyl fabric for the windows and jimmy-rig the frames. We are now also going to use actual hole covers for the holes.

Can I still post pictures of our progress on our RV/Fishing shack on here? :-)

Linnea

Tags
captain