Rookie vs. 1990 Casita (Project Thread) - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #61

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Maybe as a leveling, smoothing compound? Sure looks effective from here.

Walt
plywood will be installed over it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #62

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowman View Post
This is an amazing project, thanks for sharing, you have us all on the edge of our seats!
With there being so much foreign territory in this project for me, I'm right on the edge there with you! LOL!!

Jonathan
shaggydoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #63

North Carolina
I took the day off work and spent the morning scrounging some parts for my wife's new (old) car, then the remainder of the day working on the camper. I got the shell lowered back down onto the frame, then focused on getting the sub-floor pieces cut. I used the technique Lanny had posted up to get the right curves in the front and rear of the camper, basically just a matter of laying out some cardboard strips to follow the curves:

Then tracing the line onto the plywood:

A few cuts with a circular saw and jigsaw and done!

The process takes a while, but I did the same thing to get the piece cut for the rear:

The final two pieces were just straight cuts so went a little quicker, by the end of the day I had everything cut and fit:

Last step for the day was to remove all of the pieces so I could get a coat of water treatment on, tomorrow I'll get the pieces put back in and get everything locked into the frame.

Jonathan
Old 06-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #64

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Whew. A bit painstaking, but another day of major progress. Looks great and with the Kils underlayment, as stable as it gets. Another coat of water treatment maybe?

Walt
Old 06-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #65
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
My hope is that I'll be able to find a very low-profile vent or skylight to replace the original vent, if not I may need to sacrifice this and just fill it in... to be seen.

Jonathan
Nah, anybody doing this level of salvation needs a reward. Send me an email through my website when you're ready and I can probably fabricate a new cover for you (the plastic part that is.) If you can sketch it I can probably make it.

Price is FREE but you pay the shipping.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #66

SW Virginia
Well done Charlie. Another example of what great communities we have both here and on casitaforum.com.
In my '80s and I don't think I've ever experienced such supportive groups.

Walt
Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Some projects look overwhelming at first, but you nibble off a bit at a time. I bought a 1902 abandoned farmhouse and 36 years later it looks brand new!

Lot to be said for "sweat equity" and the self-satisfaction from it.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #68

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Send me an email through my website when you're ready and I can probably fabricate a new cover for you (the plastic part that is.)
That's an extremely generous offer Charlie, thank you!!

Jonathan
Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #69
Rix

Name: Rick
Trailer: sunrader
Washington
I'm kinda feeling your pain with my current project. Live and learn I guess.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #70

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Kilz paint kills mold and prevents its return.
The Kilz company says it does not kill mold on the substrate it is applied to and it will not prevent that mold from regrowth.

My motivation in asking the question was not criticism of what he has done, I do think he got the mold killed and also removed with the pressure washing and by applying a mold killer solution and complete rinsing. It is only that I wanted to be sure people did not err in thinking that Kilz was going to kill existing mold on the surface it is applied to or prevent mold regrowth on that substrate. There are lots of misconceptions about what Kilz does. Mostly they get mislead because of the name of the product. Remember that names are designed to draw you into buying a product but that does not mean the product does what you think it might. The original Kilz product was lacquer based (they still make some of the Kilz products with a lacquer base). Lacquer is good for preventing stain bleed through. Therefore the name of Kilz was given to it for its ability as a stain bleed through killer. Later on they added mildewcide into some versions of it but it has never been marketed as a product for killing mold because it does not do that. The mildewcide protects the primer itself from growing mold, it is not protecting anything else but itself.

Fiberglass needs no additional mold protection because it is inherently protected.

Fiberglass is not porous so mold does not grow into it and it also does not absorb odors. So therefore it did not need to be primed as a remedial measure. The mold was growing in the dirt that was sitting on the surface of the fiberglass. Once that surface had the moldy dirt removed from it the task was completed with no further labor, materials or expense required.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #71

North Carolina
In between chores and work on my wife's car over the past couple of days I kept plugging away at the camper. What I thought was going to be a fairly simple task of getting the floor and shell bolted to the frame turned into a real headache, I'm not sure if the rust treatment I used hardened the steel or I got "lucky" and hit the remnants of old screws on most holes or both, but I spent literally hours drilling... and drilling... and drilling... I used every technique and trick I knew, broke well over ten bits... ugh!!

I contributed about $45 to the swear jar, threatened to douse the camper with kerosene and torch it but in the end got 10 of the 14 holes done on the main frame rail... needless to say, I decided I'd focus on something else for a little bit:

The side markers that I assume were original still worked, although they were pretty roached so I drilled them all out:

I wasn't happy with the way the trailer light harness fed into the camper shell so found and installed this cool little gizmo I spotted at Lowe's:

Last tasks for the day was running a wiring harness for the lights, and yet another trip to Lowe's to get a few odds and ends that I'll need to get the lights temporarily installed and functional for the inspection:

Small steps, and many more to go...

Jonathan
Old 06-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #72

SW Virginia
More good progress and I really like that cool little gizmo.

Walt
Old 06-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #73

North Carolina
Let there be light!!

Yes, literally light singular - I only had time to get one actually connected, but got all of the new ones installed and ready to go:

Another project in the making arrived by mail today as well - replacement glazing beads from Interstate RV Metal & Supply:

Some butyl tape is on the way from Amazon, so tearing out, servicing and reinstalling all of the windows is on the list for the fairly near future.

More updates as I make progress!

Jonathan
Old 06-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #74

Name: Beth
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Wow - good job!! We just bought (5 days ago!!) a 1989 Casita LD 16' and we are in the midst of our own gut job...not quite as extensive as yours though! Question...do you plan on resealing or replacing your roof vent/fan? Ours is the source of the leak that did the damage to our floor and we're doing research on the best way to go about doing that. Keep up the good work! Fun, isn't it!
Holmes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #75

SW Virginia
Most people seem to be recommending butyl tape rather than caulk these days.

Walt
Old 06-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #76

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes4 View Post
Keep up the good work! Fun, isn't it!
Yes, there have been some times of frustration, and I know there will be a lot of challenges ahead as I start to put things back together but all in all I'm having a blast!

In response to your question, due to the height constraints of my garage I don't think I'll be able to do a vent or fan, but I have high hopes that I'll be able to install at least a low-profile sunroof of some sort. As Walt mentioned, butyl tape seems to be what most people recommend for sealing things like windows, vents, etc. I just got some from Amazon, here's a link in case it's helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Colorimetrics.../dp/B00GMSUF22

I hope your renovation goes well, I'm off to see if you've got a build thread I can follow!

Jonathan
Old 07-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #77

North Carolina
The past couple of days haven't been all that noteworthy, I got the rest of the lights working after working through all sorts of mismatched colors, and patiently got the remaining frame-related holes drilled. I took a half day today from work and withstood the heat and humidity to get all of the bolts installed - the shell is officially secured again, it's amazing how more solid it feels to walk around now!

I also spent a good amount of time working on shell repair, I got all of the pieces cut from the shower stall for the front and passenger side patches, and had just enough fiberglass fabric to get a start on patching the front hole. I got everything on the outside and inside cleaned up with a wire brush on the angle grinder:

And ended up with a fairly odd looking conglomerate of wood pieces, shims and supports to get the new piece as flush as I could get it:

Tomorrow I'll head out early to get some more fiberglass cloth and do a secondary layer on this piece, plus get the other pieces in place... by the end of the weekend, the shell might actually be completely waterproof!

Jonathan
Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #78

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Enjoying your reno posts & pics, you're moving fast.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #79

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Enjoying your reno posts & pics, you're moving fast.
Yes, I tend to get a little obsessive with projects when I take them on.

A mid-day update while I cool off and eat lunch - this morning I got a good number of holes patched in of various sizes, my technique for getting pieces in position probably won't earn me any accolades but hey, it's working:

I've got one more medium-size panel to get put into place, a handful of smaller circular holes where original entry points were and a couple spots on the roof where there's some damage then should have this task completed.

I also got a start on pulling out windows which turned out to be fairly easy due to them not being sealed all that well.

As soon as the blazing sun shifts I'll roll the camper out to get access to the windows on the other side, then get to work on cleaning them up.

Jonathan
Old 07-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #80

North Carolina
This afternoon rolled along pretty smoothly, I got the remaining two windows popped out then spent time scraping down and cleaning all of them up:

Last task for the day was brutal, wire brushing down the shell around all of the windows with a head-to-toe protective suit, mask and goggles in the high afternoon heat... yeah, I should have taken this project on in the winter! Here are a couple pictures of the current state:

More updates soon!

Jonathan

Tags
casita