1969 Boler? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
What ever you do, which ever trailer you buy now or later. it is exciting. The way they evoke our interest is fascinating. Its one of the reasons , I keep working on ours to make it work. Have fun and enjoy.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
I'm confused, looking at the home page gallery, we've featured a Boler 32 times. And there's like 14 or 15 Boler pictures in the Albums.
What am I missing??
The pictures in the gallery are ALL of 17 footers except one. There were a lot less 17's made. but they always get more attention. Maybe bigger is better.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
You can find a few pics of my '69 boler by searching for one of my first posts last year. Search for "Flat roof boler" or "Boler #99". I have a few more of another flat roof that someone here was selling last year, but I don't have time to post right now. There were a few of us here with the early ones.

Everyone's observations seem to be correct, plus - the whole door handle doesn't look original, door hinges definitely not original, hatch door on the front bench compartment not original, looks like there's no ice box, just a cupboard door - kind of looks like there never was one installed, cusion covers may not be original.

But none of this matters unless you are looking for an original stock flat top boler, in which case you'd have a lot of undoing to do with this one. However, it could be a long time before you come across another one. As father of a toddler and another one on the way I definitely recommend you get one which you will be happy to use as is for a few years. I haven't noticed any increased value associated with our trailers being in 'original stock' condition. Oh, remember the flat roofs have lower headroom, only about 5'9".

A book would be a great. This website's moderators and members are an amazing source of info. People like 'Roy in TO' are doing a lot of work compiling as much historical detail as possible. Everything I've ever found written about the first couple years of Boler are taken from exactly 2 old articles and a lot of hearsay. There are some inaccurasies as well, which I hope to sort out with Roy one day.

Kevin

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #24

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Thanks for the comments again. Kent - I notice your in the Okanagan..we're just in Summerland - maybe we'll cross paths here one day.

Well....it's 1030 pm here now and we just arrived back from our trek to Merrit to see the 1974. It was sold in my mind before even seeing it. I envisioned us driving off into the sunset with it smiling all the way back. Unfortunately it was pretty rough on the inside. As thrilled as I was (infatuated perhaps) with the idea, it just wasn't worth the price, to us.

The first thing I noticed was the interior. From what I understand, the Ensolite interior is smooth for cleaning/wiping, but this had all been stripped out (or was never there). What was in its place was a 3-4mm foam glued onto the fiberglass. Between the seams was some type of foam filler (looked like a material that had been spread between the seams). Behind the cabinets, the seams were just butted together. It was a rough spongy foam-like material that had been painted over. The gas regulator was shot as well, and there was no battery, so we couldn't even test the lights etc. Upon inspecting the under carriage, I noticed about a half dozen pieces of steel welded to the frame for support - most likely to repair cracks, but it could have been preventative (although the latter seems unlikely) - kind of like sewing a patch on your knee just in case you get a hole, in my mind.

The cupboards were all varnished plywood with no fasteners, so I can imagine them flying open on the road - an easy fix/replacement, but the list just kept getting longer. Missing light lenses, cracked tail lights, some cracked fiberglass, all chrome on the exterior, i.e., the rain strip above the door was all beaten up, and around every window, the black seal had gobs of caulking around them.

At the end of the day, everything inside me said 'not worth 3K'. I'd read some posts here that talked about value, and inflated Boler prices. In my mind, for 3K a person should be able to jump in and go. For a new battery, lights etc. and just the basics to take a camping trip, I'd guess we'd need to spent 4-500 right off the bat.

I'm pretty project oriented, but this was a little too much for the price. As dismayed as I was to leave empty handed, I know I would feel worse bringing that one home...it just wasn't the right one for us. A retired guy with more know-how, kids gone, home renos done...I'd say a perfect project. Us, however, are on the other side of that coin .

So....I'm back to the yellow beauty. Yes it's 1500 more, but we'd have to spend far more to bring this one up to speed, not to mention the 'labor of love' element. It will be fun to tinker with the 69 - small projects, and I'm not so much concerned about taking it back to original as I am with revealing some chrome, getting the hinges and handles back on and enjoying USING it and being comfortable.

Thanks for all the info so far! Sorry for the long winded post...I'll be sure to post again if we bring the 69 home - I think I'm obsessed now....
Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #25

Hi Kevin H
What is you're frame like? I was told that the first ones were different. Is your floor flat or does it have the step like the later models?
Hope to meet you at Emily.
Jim
Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The pictures in the gallery are ALL of 17 footers except one. There were a lot less 17's made. but they always get more attention. Maybe bigger is better.
The albums are a feature that show stock (or as close to stock) trailers as we can get pictures of. It's not a place for camping pictures or ones that display fancy (non-stock) awnings/canopies, theme decorated, lawn chairs, the family dog or fancy tug. Sure there's lots of pictures on the forums of 13 foot Bolers, but few that meet the album criteria. The point of the albums is if someone is looking to buy a trailer and doesn't have any idea what they look like, we need to display a trailer that the individual may find for sale. There are other places in the forums for paint jobs, camping photos etc.

Does this help?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Mike . I have sent you a PM. Open to sharing our story and offer some thoughts after a lifetime of camping and having been through three trailers before our Fiberglass one.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Mike . I have sent you a PM. Open to sharing our story and offer some thoughts after a lifetime of camping and having been through three trailers before our Fiberglass one.
Hi Kent - just emailed you back. Looking forward to chatting with you and to hear your perspective on the FG trailers vs others. My wife keeps asking me 'are you sure' - wouldn't you rather a tent trailer or a (steel beast as I call them) - I'm completely sold on the FG. Again, it'll be good to hear about your experiences.

Talk soon,
M
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #29

Well - amazing what you'll learn when you read.....

I've since found out through this forum that Ensolite is in fact what was in the trailer we looked at. The rubber 'elephant skin' foam that was in the trailer must have been the same stuff. It was beat up, gouged, and the seems were filled with some type of caulk, perhaps...just not well done.

I've found (again, on this site) that Ensolite or a similar product can be purchased, and the seams filled with 3M tape or probably just a latex caulking smoothed out with a sponge and water (just like sealing baseboards etc).

So - the elephant in the corner, in terms of the insulation, anyway, wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm kicking myself a bit, but still think the frame had some issues - ah well....now I'm a little more tuned in.

Thought I'd pass that on if it helps any newbies out there like me.

Mike
Old 06-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #30

Quote:
The albums are a feature that show stock (or as close to stock) trailers as we can get pictures of. There are other places in the forums for paint jobs, camping photos etc.
Does this help?
Wow! A stock Boler. Well the search is on. Now, I'll lean my pictures towards finding "original" as well as "mods". I wonder if it is possible to make a picture archive of year-by-year Bolers to go along with Roy's history???? Hmmmm!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #31

Well, the saga continues....still searching. It seems like we get close to something and then we either a) can't get a response from a craigslist user trailer is too far away, or c) something serious is wrong.

We're staying optimistic in our search though.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on the water tanks. I've run into a few that have them removed. In my mind these would be necessary for weight - even if they aren't used for drinking water....any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 1969 1300 Boler
Hi.... I am also new to the forum. I've been reading info on boler trailers for a few weeks since I recently found one for sale in my hometown. I have wanted one for a few years and honestly didn't realize the following that they had.

I bought the boler today.... its pretty much completely intact and original. The bunk beds, cushions, icebox, furnace, stove, spring roof vent and windows are all original.. (It could use a good cleaning and some TLC) After a good search I found the VIN # 161! The only changes made over the years were 2 hinged ice fishing hatches in the floor....which I intend to repair properly. The door needs some repair as it has sagged and warped at the bottom. This will be my first concern.

Brent Lorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Hi.... I am also new to the forum. I've been reading info on boler trailers for a few weeks since I recently found one for sale in my hometown. I have wanted one for a few years and honestly didn't realize the following that they had.

I bought the boler today.... its pretty much completely intact and original. The bunk beds, cushions, icebox, furnace, stove, spring roof vent and windows are all original.. (It could use a good cleaning and some TLC) After a good search I found the VIN # 161! The only changes made over the years were 2 hinged ice fishing hatches in the floor....which I intend to repair properly. The door needs some repair as it has sagged and warped at the bottom. This will be my first concern.

Congrats and welcome to the FG family. You'll love it.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #34

Name: David & Debra
Trailer: 69 Boler
Tennessee
Registry
sorry I didn't see ur post earlier..we have an all original 69 boler 13ft for sale.it is posted here in fiberglassrv..could have saved u some lookin'
ddwills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler